Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BACK WITH JOSEPH ROOME

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 May 2009 18:32

Dear all

I have investigated further the Roome family found in Macclesfield in 1891 +. Joseph Roome b 1854 Northampton, Ellen Roome b 1860 Shepton Mallet, formerly Ellen Wall. He is a Fish Dealer. Eldest child Albert b 1882, supposedly in Macclesfield. Joseph is a fish dealer.

Those kind people who read my earlier thread found me a marriage of Ellen's mother Eliza(beth) Wall to John Thomas Green in Birmingham Mar 1878, and living in Cheadle, Staffordshire in 1881 with her sons Frank and Fred. This family also moved to Macclesfield where John Thomas died in 1884 (he was originally from Macclesfield) and Eliza is living with the Roomes - but called Eliza Wall.

We found Eliza, Ellen, Frank and Fred in Shepton Mallet in 1871.

I still can't find Albert Roome in 1901. He marries Annie Mathers in 1906 (Macclesfield).

We couldn't find his birth, his father's birth or any record of his father before 1891. Well, I have found them - at least partly. They are not called Roome at all!!!! In 1881 Joseph DALLOWS, born Northampton 1854, a fish dealer, and wife Ellen born 1859 Shepton Mallet - living in Derby, married Dec 1879 in Derby, first child Joseph Frederick b Dec 1880, d Jun 1881, second child Albert DALLOWS b Sept 1881 in Derby.

Joseph Dallows seems to be the same fella as Joseph Roome. Would people agree?

Why the name change? I still can't find him before his marriage, nor any birth, using Dallows, Roome, and variations. Can anyone else? I feel the need of his marriage certificate but someone I feel it will be unreliable.

Help appreciated.

Margaret

Choccy

Choccy Report 28 May 2009 18:49

Marriages Dec 1879 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DALLOWS Joseph Derby 7b 867
Wall Ellen Derby 7b 867

?!?!

Choccy

Choccy Report 28 May 2009 18:50

1881 England Census
Name: Joseph Dallows
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Ellen
Where born: Northamptonshire, England

Civil parish: Derby St Peter
County/Island: Derbyshire

Street address: 56 Park St
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Derby
Sub-registration district: Derby
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Dallows 26
Ellen Dallows 22

Choccy

Choccy Report 28 May 2009 18:55

I agree that the Dallows seem to be the Roomes. That's a big name change, not just a different version of the original name. Bet there's someone else out there chasing the Dallows and wondering where they've gone!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 19:15

1861?

Name: Joseph Dallerza
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Joseph
Mother's Name: Susan
Where born: Northampton, Northamptonshire, England

Civil parish: Northampton St Sepulchre

George Smith 22
Mary Smith 24
Arthur Smith 1
Joseph Dallerza 36
Susan Dallerza 30
Joseph Dallerza 7
Sarah A Dallerza 5
Lucy Dallerza 1

It sure ain't Dallerza, and Dallows is as reasonable a reading as any!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 19:18

Well hmm.

Marriages Jun 1849
CARTER Susan Northampton 15 501
Dallorzo Joseph Northampton 15 501

Not a name I've run across before! Might it have been altered to Dallows?

Oh well, this is probably that Joseph's death anyway:

Deaths Mar 1852
Dallorzo Joseph Carter Northampton 3b 50

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 19:34

I guess you deleted your previous thread. I would have preferred to see the work there, rather than risk repeating it.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 May 2009 22:37

Janey,

I wasn't aware that I had deleted my previous thread, but can't find it. Can't imagine why I would have done so.

Choccy, yes, that's the marriage and census record.

Thanks for confirming you think they are the same people as in Macclesfield. Just didn't want to go down the wrong route.

Barbara, a friend and I have just talked on the phone about the Joseph from Tenbury, but we got nowhere with him. I am keeping him "in reserve".

Janey, have got excited about the Dallerza family, will have a look. My Joseph has a daughter Lucy. Can I ask how you found that family? I haven't pulled it up. But I have to say it looks like Dallerza to me. Further research gives Joseph Dallorzo d Mar 1870, and birth of Sarah A Dallorzo Jun 1855. IN 1871, Susan Dallorzo is a widown, with Lucy 11, in Aston. Lucy possibly went to San Fransisco and died there in 1955. Very interesting but I just want to find Joseph Roome/Dallows.

Sarah Ann 1855 is a servant somewhere in 1871. Agan, not helpful as it doesn't lead me to Joseph.

The surname is most unusual for England, do you not all think? Dallerza, Dollorzo? I can see why it might have been changed to Dallows - but not to Roome! Or perhaps they were Italian, and Roome is another version of Rome???

I think this is a hard one, so thanks for trying.

Margaret

Janey, the previous post was mainly about the Wall side, and that was kindly sorted for me. Though I don't know where it went. I don't recall deleting it. Sorry if I did and it has caused you to search again.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 23:09

I searched censuses for Joseph Dall* in Northamptonshire, I think!

Then just searched FreeBMD for "all events" for surname Dallorzo. It does seem to be a proper surname -- there are several dozen of them. (I wouldn't be surprised if there are others mistranscribed, too.)

The name seems to originate in Northamptonshire. There are also a couple of Tryphenas scattered around later, and I've gathered that Tryphena is a bit of a regional-preference name, with a concentration in Northamptonshire (I have one in the Northamptonshire bit of my tree).

There are very very few Dallows events in the GRO. So I do wonder how real a name it is.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 23:12

For instance --

Deaths Sep 1874
Dallows Charles 5 West Bromwich 6b 472

There is no birth to match.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 May 2009 23:13

Nicola

IN 1861, I have Joseph Dallerza 36, tailor, wife Susan 30, Joseph 7, Sarah A 5, and Lucy 1. In 1871 there is Just Suan and Lucy (Martha).

Not getting very far with this. Sorry.

Margaret

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 23:15

Keeping in mind that this is more than likely a complete red herring --

http://www.northants-familytree.net/1839.html

Numerous references to Dallorzo-s in Northamptonshire.

DALLORZO ANTHONY

LEICESTER STREET NORTHAMPTON DIED ON TUESDAY NIGHT, THE 27TH INSTANT, IN THE 40TH YEAR OF HER AGE, ELIZABETH, THE WIFE OF MR. ANTHONY DALLORZO, OF LEICESTER STREET, IN THIS TOWN, LEAVING EIGHT CHILDREN TO DEPLORE THE LOSS OF AN AFFECTIONATE WIFE AND MOTHER

http://www.northants-familytree.net/1843.html

DALLORZO ANTHONY
ALL SAINTS PARISH NORTHAMPTON BOROUGH COMMITMENTS
FOR ONE MONTH, FOR RUNNING AWAY AND LEAVING HIS TWO CHILDREN, WHEREBY THEY BECAME CHARGEABLE TO ALL SAINTS

Son of the Anthony in question, in 1871?

Anthony Dallonzo 40
Tryphena E Dallonzo 35
Tryphena E Dallonzo 11
Francis J Dallonzo 7
Ellen Rose Dallonzo 4
William H Dallonzo 1

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 23:28

Btw, you really do need to get the Dallows-Wall marriage cert.

What it says may be false, but it can still be well worth knowing.

My gr-grfather married under a fake name, and named a fake father, and that fake father's name was one of the few things we ever "knew" about that gr-grfather.

But the given name he gave for his father turned out to be the same given name as the father of the person I suspected was my gr-grfather before he adopted the fake name -- i.e. I have determined that my gr-grf was really Ernest Augustus Hill, father Francis Hoare Hill, and when he married as Ernest (Augustus) Monck, he named Francis Monck as his father.

So whatever loony thing it might say, it could still help!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2009 23:38

Well, here's some answer to the Dallorzo origin mystery:

Name: Antoine L Dallorso - widower - and it says Antonio
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1797
Relation: Head
Where born: Gelesealler

Civil parish: Oundle
County/Island: Northamptonshire

Now if I can read the birthplace ...

But of course. Gibraltar, British Sub't.

A few things in the GRO for that spelling, but not in Northamptonshire, and all but one after 1906, with names that look like recent migration.

And a batch in All Saints in 1841:

Josep Lay 65
Ann Lay 62
Hannah Lay 24
Isaac Lay 23
Joseph Dallorzo 18
Frances Dallorzo 15
Anthony Dallorzo 10
William Dallorzo 6
Rosannah Dallorzo 4

Antonio and some of the 1841 batch are in trees here at GR. You might want to inquire!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 May 2009 01:20

Janey thanks for all your work.

Off to investigate it all.

Margaret

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 May 2009 01:23

Just to say that I am away on business for the next 3 days. Will be in touch on my return.

Margaret

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 May 2009 01:36

Sent for Dallows/Wall Marriage certificate.

But where does Roome come from?

Margaret.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 29 May 2009 02:08

If you can tell me where Monck came from, in my gr-grfather's case, I'll tell you where Roome came from. ;)

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Jun 2009 22:19

Point taken Janey.

Margaret

Choccy

Choccy Report 1 Jun 2009 23:02

I thought if he married a Wall, Room(e) was as good a surname to use as any! Sorry, it doesn't help ...