Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WIGAN AREA

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 22 Jul 2009 14:54

I hope someone has a knowledge of the Wigan area please? I have a 1863 m/cert for the Parish of Christchurch, Ashton, Lancaster. Job Povey's residence at time of marriage is given as Ashton, but Harriet Driver's residence is illegible, but looks like Au...ly P.... near Wigan. Anyone have any ideas please, bearing in mind its 1863 and could be an area that no longer exists! Thanks Linda

Linda

Linda Report 22 Jul 2009 15:45

Thanks i will have a look at those 2 sites.

Linda

Linda Report 22 Jul 2009 16:14

No luck with those websites, maybe someone else has an idea?

Alan

Alan Report 22 Jul 2009 16:26

Beginning with "A".................Aspull, Appley Bridge, or Abram.

Google WIGAN and check for yourself but to be fair, its a modern map.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Jul 2009 20:06

Hi,

As Alan says it could be Appley Bridge which is near Wigan and is still there! I live nearby so if I can help I will. Regards.

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jul 2009 07:45

Might P*=Parish

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2009 10:02

Hi Cynthia thanks for your offer of help. Just to confuse things a little further..... I have had another set of eyes look at it and they think its not an A but a fancy H for the beginning word, but agree it looks like the word ends in LY. The second opinion on the second word is that it starts with a fancy P with 3 or 4 letters after it but no downward strokes so more like PEER? However, someone else suggested all ONE WORD but with a break in the writing between the Y and the P? To recap it looks like H/AUCLY PEERS!!!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 23 Jul 2009 11:26

Have you got Harriet Driver on a census - just a thought? Or I suppose you could send away for her birth certificate but the earliest birth I can see on freebmd is 1848 in Warrington!!

Will keep my thinking cap on.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 23 Jul 2009 11:30

How old was Harriet?

What was her father's name?

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2009 11:45

On the 1863 m/cert Harriet Driver is a widow (father's name Robert Lees) aged 36 marrying Job Povey widower age 33. However, cannot find them on 1871 but they are living in Hollingworth on 1881 census but Job and Harriet are now given as both age 52, so someone fibbing on m/cert about age! Incidentally, as mentioned in another thread, can find no marriage for Harriet Lees to first husband Daniel Driver but were living together in Somerset in 1861 census.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 23 Jul 2009 11:47

I'm really supposed to be ironing but what about these?

Hindley Green and Astley (formerly Astley Green) which are nearer to the Leigh side of Wigan.

Wigan is a funny old place really and places on the outskirts, like Appley Bridge, have a Wigan post code but come under West Lancashire Council whilst Billinge (to the south of Wigan) also has a Wigan post code but comes under St. Helens council.

No wonder it's confusing!!!

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2009 11:52

Hi Cynthia, sorry to be stopping you ironing... but this is so much more fun! Either Hindly Green or Astley Green could fit if i try to read it by squinting! Thanks for that it gives me somethere to start anyway. Linda

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 23 Jul 2009 11:57

I remember this woman now....there was masses of info on your thread about Harriet and Daniel......

1861 census for her.........

Name: Harriett Driver
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Daniel
Where born: Mysterton, Somerset, England

Civil parish: St Decuman
Ecclesiastical parish: Bath and Wells
County/Island: Somerset

Registration district: Williton
Sub-registration district: Williton
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 97
Household Members: Name Age
Daniel Driver 38
Harriett Driver 32
George Driver 9
Edwin Driver 6
Maslid Driver 4
Henery Driver 1
Mary Driver 1
Joseph Hutchings 38
Joseph Hutchings 13
John Rowe 40

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2009 12:05

Sorry Ricochet, i know i have enquired previously about her marriage to Daniel Driver, but as i got nowhere i have moved onto her next marriage to Job Povey. Sometimes it helps to come at things from another angle.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 23 Jul 2009 12:11

I wasn't being critical......just posted 1861 in case it helped with locating her in 1871, which you say you have been unable to do.

I find it odd that there is no death reg'n for a Daniel Driver which looks likely to be her first 'husband'

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 23 Jul 2009 12:19

Was Job a widower when he married Harriet?

Name: Job Povey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ellen
Where born: Melpes

Civil parish: Ashton Under Lyne
Ecclesiastical parish: St Stephen
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Ashton Under Lyne
Sub-registration district: Audenshaw
ED, institution, or vessel: 2f
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 203
Job Povey 31
Ellen Povey 22
Aaron Nifton 39

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2009 12:20

I know... the only Daniel Driver death i found was in March 1863 (5 mths before she married Job) and he was an Excavator who was run over by a Railway Waggon in Manchester! I dont believe this is right cos my Daniel was an Ag. Lab. in Somerset.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 23 Jul 2009 12:22

1871 for you..........

Name: Job Coney
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Job
Mother's Name: Harriet
Where born: Hollingworth, Cheshire, England
Civil parish: Padfield
Ecclesiastical parish: Whitfield
County/Island: Derbyshire
Registration district: Hayfield
Sub-registration district: Glossop
ED, institution, or vessel: 14
Household schedule number: 81
Job Coney 42
Harriet Coney 41
Edward Deiner 15
Lydia Deiner 14
Job Deiner 14
Mary Deiner 10
Elizabeth Deiner 7
William Coney 5
Job Coney 1
Martha Coney 1

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2009 12:26

Yes, he was a widower in 1863 so this entry in 1861 with first wife Ellen would fit nicely thanks.

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2009 12:30

Thanks just found a marriage Mar 1860 Job Povey with Ellen Smith in Ashton.