Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Sep 2009 12:45

Hi everyone, Im still trying to trace my grandmother elizabeth miller 1914? she married elliot avison in 1933 the problem is miller was not her birth name her mother married again when she and her sister beatrice? were young girls i think her father was in the navy but died when they were very young that is all we know can anybody help please? we think they were from the manchester area.

Dea

Dea Report 10 Sep 2009 12:49

Who did her mother marry?

When and where?

Do you have Elizabeth's marriage cert to Elliot?

What info do you have and what is it you are trying to find?

Dea x

P.S. - I note you say that you are 'still' trying to find her - does that mean you have previous threads on this? If so, what info is on there?

Dea x

Julie

Julie Report 10 Sep 2009 12:50

Do you know what their Mums name was

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Sep 2009 12:53

she married under the name of miller but that wasnt her birth name thats all we know

Julie

Julie Report 10 Sep 2009 12:55

Ok

How do you know her birth name isn't Miller & that her Mum married again

Choccy

Choccy Report 10 Sep 2009 12:56

this is Elizabeth's other thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1173309

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Sep 2009 12:56

no my mum doesnt know any more about her she

Roger

Roger Report 10 Sep 2009 12:57

So who is the fathers name on the marriage certificate and her birth certificate if you have them, if not I suggest you get the marriage certificate

Then let us know what it says.

Choccy

Choccy Report 10 Sep 2009 12:58

this is what Elizabeth said on her other thread -

'trying to find elizabeth my grandmother born 1914 i dont think that was her birth name i think it was riley i not sure but i think she was born in manchester any info on her or her sister beatrice please. elizabeth miller on my mothers birth certificate but elizabeths father who died when she was a small child was riley i think'

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Sep 2009 13:06

We are not sure if it is Riley thats just a guess of my mother

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 10 Sep 2009 13:07

The way i see it elizabeth miller's mother was not married at the time of her birth but her father Mr Riley went with her to register the birth, other wise his name would not be on the birth cert

EDIT just read your response to the previous thread and the Name Riley is total guess work am i correct?

You need to give the facts and not guess work, Start with what you can prove and what you actualy no is fact and go from their

As Roger said the marriage cert is what you need as it should give all her previous names married and maiden

Roy

jansmith

jansmith Report 10 Sep 2009 13:38

Do you know when Elizabeth and Beatrice died?
What was Beatrice's married name?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Sep 2009 14:02

elizabeth died in a home in wales early 1980s beatrice didnt marry as far as we know dont know when she died

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 10 Sep 2009 14:42

Did Elizabeth die in the name of Avison as her death registration should have her birth date on.

Christine

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Sep 2009 15:16

no she remarried but dont know what that name was

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 10 Sep 2009 17:48

As other people have said you need her marriage cert to Elliot Avison to find some more details.

Christine

Dea

Dea Report 10 Sep 2009 17:58

Unless Elizabeth divorced, I don't think she could have remarried before she died in the 1980's as Elliot was still alive up until 2001:

Elliot Avison
Birth Date: 18 Aug 1914
Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 2001
Age at death (estimated): 86
Registration district: Tameside
Inferred County: Greater Manchester
Register number: A60A
District and Subdistrict: 0141A
Entry number: 267

Something a little strange here or am I just 'confused' ?

Dea x

jansmith

jansmith Report 10 Sep 2009 18:25

?? Elliot marriages
Elliot Avison / Elizabeth Miller Jul-Aug-Sep 1933 Glossop Derbyshire
Elliot Avison / Martha Ingham Oct-Nov-Dec 1959 Glossop Derbyshire
Elliot Avison / May Crabtree Jul-Aug-Sep 1974 Tameside Tyne and Wear

jansmith

jansmith Report 10 Sep 2009 18:32

Did your mother have siblings .I see a possible 4 children Avison / Miller if so have you asked them if they know any details

Dea

Dea Report 10 Sep 2009 18:42

Thanks Von,

I am obviously reading it differently - this is very confusing.

On page 1 it was stated that Elizabeth died in the 1980's in Wales,.

When asked if she died under the name of Avison, the reply was - no, she remarried but I don't know the name???

Elizabeth's mother also remarried, hence her birth name not being Miller !!

I think I will give up now until some more info comes to light. It is obviously just too much for my little brain (tee hee!!).

Dea x