Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clayton mineral water Swepps

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 21:59

Hi
I am trying to find relatives of Robert Clayton who was a mineral water manufactureer for Swepps. His daughter was Elizabeth Clayton. Elizabeth was my great grandfathers mother, he was born 1910 so we are looking pre then.

Any help please
Thanks so much

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2010 22:00

born where?

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 19 Jan 2010 22:02

Who was born in 1910?

Your message is rather unclear

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2010 22:04

PDF]Mineral Water Manufacturers Allen, Charles 1855 ...
Clayton & Sons. 1898-1905 S.Clayton & Sons, Powerscourt Road, north side ... 1881 11 St Georges Square, Bernard Murtough, Mineral Water Manufacturer, ...

homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.pomeroy/local/mineral.p... - Similar pages

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 22:09

sorry
My great grandfather was born in 1910. His parents were Elizabeth clayton (roberts daughter) and James OKeefe

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jan 2010 22:18

Amy, to find relations, it seems you are looking for descendants of other children of Robert Clayton.

For anyone to help with the search, the first thing needed is a location -- to find the household in a census and see what children there were.

Elizabeth's mother's name? Elizabeth's date of birth?

The task then involves finding the marriages of any siblings of Elizabeth, their children, etc., but it has to start with Elizabeth's family household before her marriage! And that means having info to use for searching.

... Right, I find no marriage for Elizabeth Clayton and James OKeefe (any spelling) 1880-1920 ...

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

There are O'Keefe-Clayton births (and spelling does count when it comes to names) 1914 (twins), 1916 and 1920 in Holborn reg dist - are these your gr-grfather's siblings?

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 19 Jan 2010 22:22

Where did Elizabeth marry?

When did she marry?

How old was she?

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 22:26

I don't have any other information.

I only know that my great grandfather was called James OKeefe, he was born 27/05/1910. His parents were James OKeefe and Elizabeth Clayton. I only know that her father was Robert who was a Mineral water manufactuer for Swhepps. I don't know dates or places which I know doesn't help. I just thought somebody might know about the business or have been related to him

Thanks everyone for the info so far

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jan 2010 22:26

Alrighty, general search of 1881 census (the only year that can be searched by occupation) for occupation "mineral" gets us:

Name: Robert Clayton
Estimated birth year: abt 1829
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Alice
Where born: Wheelton, Lancashire, England
>> Occupation: Mineral Water Mfr

Civil parish: Chorley
County/Island: Lancashire
Street Address: 74 Market St

Robert Clayton 52
Alice Clayton 50
Catherine Clayton 28
William Clayton 23
Mary Jane Clayton 20
Richard Clayton 17
Robert Clayton 13
James Clayton 11

That household has no daughter Elizabeth, and mother Alice is past childbearing.

So Elizabeth's father Robert must have been the son Robert in that household ... he was born c1868 so that leaves barely enough time for him to marry and have a daughter who was married by 1910.

Except there really is no Clayton-O'Keefe marriage ...

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 22:28

Twins were definalty mentioned so quite possibly. The names I have are Ellen, Violet, Maggie and Daniel. James jnrs siblings, james seniors children

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 22:30

Thanks janey, that could definatly be them

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 19 Jan 2010 22:30

This is the ONLY James O'keefe birth on freebmd in1 910

Births Sep 1910 (99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O'KEEFE James Bedwellty 11a 92

Have you no idea of any location?

Where did you get the info you have?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jan 2010 22:31

But Amy, please, **where**? The birth of your gr-grfather 1910 even.

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 19 Jan 2010 22:31

You seem to have a lot more info than you led us to think........perhaps you could tell us all you know.....it would be really helpful

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 22:32

mmmm, yet another mystery then that I may never know the answer too. unfortunatly the great aunt I got the information from has passed away so I cant ask any more questions

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 22:34

James senior was born in Cork and came to sommers town London? Other than that I don't know where James jnr born

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jan 2010 22:35

Whom did James Jr marry, Amy?

If we could at least find that record we might have some notion of WHERE these things were happening ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jan 2010 22:38

1911 census

O'KEEFE JAMES M 1851 60 Kensington London

The only James *keef* (for any name with KEEF in the middle of it) born in Cork in the 1911 census.

Amy

Amy Report 19 Jan 2010 22:38

James junior married Rosina Harris 3rd August 1935 in London, possibly islington. They kept their marriage a big secret for some reason

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 19 Jan 2010 22:40

I had a feeling this was going to be an Irish family