Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Birth Details

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 02:31

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me.
I cannot find any birth details on Free bmd for my maternal Grandmother, Edith Cane
She was born about 1886. Her family lived in Wimbledon, Surrey.The story goes that her mother had 6 children with a man named Cane and then he died and she married a man surname Hilliard and had another 6 children.
I have Edith Cane's Wedding Cert. She married on 6 April 1904 to Thomas Richardson. I had looked at the search trees and found someone who had a similar story. The only difference is the father's name was Charles Cane whereas on my grandmother's marriage certificate the father is named as Robert Cane! I have searched and searched but cannot find her birth details.I have looked at the censuses and have purchased credits but they run out Tuesday. I thought I had found the family in a couple of the census but of course I cannot know this for sure until I send for my grannies birth cert. I know I am rambling but I am very tired no. I will wait on line for another while in case anyone can come up with any ideas. Thanking you in advance.

She

jax

jax Report 22 Mar 2010 02:43

what was her mothers name

jax

jax Report 22 Mar 2010 02:50

My great grandmother gave a false name for her father as she was illigitamate spent ages looking for this man that didnt exist

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 02:53

I don't know. I thought I had found her on one of the census 1891. It states the mother is Amy Callaghan widow. I have tried to find Amy Callaghan's wedding but only found one to Charles. Whereas the father's name on my grandmother's marriage certificate is Robert. Sorry can't be of more help. I have spent days on this! Thanks anyway.

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 02:57

Just to add, I found a further wedding to a Thomas Hilliard. This all fits in nicely but I just can't find my grandmother's birth cert details. Perhaps she had another name and just used Edith. I think I will just have to order lots of birth certs and chance that I will eventually find the right one.

jax

jax Report 22 Mar 2010 03:00

edith canes marriage to thomas richardson is also down as cave loking into it now

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 03:09

It helps to tell us *what* you found so we don't have to find it too!

Marriages Sep 1913
Cane Amy Hilliard Lambeth 1d 646
Hilliard Thomas Cane Lambeth 1d 646

Only that certificate would tell you whether that Amy Cane was of an age to have had children c1886, for instance. ... If she was, she might not likely have been having children after 1913 -- but -- the marriage could have taken place *after* the birth of their children, for instance if one of them was not free to marry until their existing spouse died.

hmm ... 1911

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

CANE AMY BEATRICE F 1871 40 Lambeth London
but living with
CANE WALTER M 1868 43
CANE WALTER ARTHUR HOWARD M 1896 15
CANE LEONARD CHARLES M 1900 11 Lambeth

and no Walter Cane died 1911-1913 so that would rule that Amy out ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 03:19

Doesn't tihs household in 1891 fill the bill?

Name: Edith Cane
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Anny
Where born: Wimbledon, Surrey, England

Civil parish: Wimbledon
Registration district: Kingston (where Edith married)

Anny Cane 29
Anny Cane 11
Ada Cane 8
Edith Cane 4
Frederick Cane 3
Mary Cane 1
Thomas Brookson 40
George Chopping 15

Anny Cane may well look more like "Amy"; she is a widow.

Thomas Brookson is "lodger" (single), often a euphemism for unmarried spouse.

And in 1881

Name: Amy Cane
Estimated birth year: abt 1862
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: Charles
Where born: Battersea, Surrey, England

Civil parish: Croydon

Charles Cane 20
Amy Cane 19
Amy Cane 1
Alfred Cane 16

Amy Sr and Jr match that 1891 household pretty perfectly.

I don't know where you saw Amy Callaghan, widow, in 1881 -- did you mean Cane?

Marriages Jun 1879
> Callaghan Amy Lambeth 1d 610
> Cane Charles Lambeth 1d 610
Cousens Harriet Lambeth 1d 610
OLSSON Frans Oscar Lambeth 1d 610

Deaths Sep 1890
Cane Charles 29 Croydon 2a 152

So he would have been the father of the children in the 1891 census.

For instance, Frederick aged 3 in the 1891:

Births Mar 1888
CANE Frederick Wandsworth 1d 581

How about

Births Mar 1885
Cane Edith Beatrice Camberwell 1d 817

?

jax

jax Report 22 Mar 2010 03:23

Amy's father is transcribed as Hange but looks like Haye
need to go to bed now have a look tomorrow unless someone else finds it
on the marriage cert that is
jax

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 03:26

Hi Janey, I am so confused and tired as you are probably too...
I found Amy Hilliard on the 1901 Census with Ada Nelli Cane aged 18, Mary Ann Cane 11 and 6 Hilliard children, together with Thomas Hilliard. They lived in Wimbledon too very near to where my granny lived. Edith was not mentioned on that census but I suppose she could have been working away by then, she would have been about 14/15. Her name was on the 1891 census, which of course I can't find now and Amy was a widow of 29. Sorry if this seems jumbled! and thank you for your help and advice.

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 03:28

Jax, thank you for your help. I can't think either. I will have to go to bed soon too.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 03:30

Sorry, Sheila, I was editing my post to keep all the info together, so have a look back at it if it wasn't all there when you read it. ;)

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 03:32

On the 1901 census with the Hilliard children it states Thomas Hilliard Head, married and Amy Hilliard. From what you have sent me they obviously didn't marry until much later.

Yes that is my granny on that census. I was only confused when I got her marriage cert and it stated Robert Cane as her father. I think I found a marriage for Amy Callaghan and Charles Cane in the 1870's but I didn't send for the cert. I wanted to verify it all with Edith Cane's birth cert but I cannot find the details. Thank you once again for your help.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 03:40

Okay, here's the 1891 household:

Anny Cane 29 (it should read Amy)
Anny Cane 11 " "
Ada Cane 8
Edith Cane 4
Frederick Cane 3
Mary Cane 1
Thomas Brookson 40
George Chopping 15

and here's the one you're talking about in 1901:

Thomas Hieliard 48
Amy Hieliard 38
Ada Nellie Cane 18
Mary Ann Cane 11 - stepdaughter of Thomas
Mary Annie Hillard 7
Carrie Hillard 6
Thomas Hillard 4
Elizabeth Hillard 3
Maud Hillard 2
Florence Hillard 7 months

(This is why it is best to copy and paste the info -- if you are looking at Ancestry, you know that Thomas Hieliard was mistranscribed, and it's Ada Nellie, not Nelli. For anyone else to find the same info, we need to know what it actually is!)

So mother Amy and daughter Ada are perfet matches, and there are the 6 Hilliard children.

Quite likely Thomas Hilliard was still married to someone else.

Possibly?

Deaths Sep 1912
HILLIARD Mary 56 Lambeth 1d 283

Yes, I think so -- in 1891 in Lambeth:

Thomas Hilliard 37
Mary P Hilliard 35
Elizabeth B Hilliard 19
Mary Hilliard 16
Louisa Hilliard 14
Jane Hilliard 11

So his wife Mary was still living in 1901; she died in 1912, he and Amy Callaghan Cane married in 1913.

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 03:41

Hi Janey, thanks for all that. Yes I did mean Cane, sorry. Thank you for all those details. I really think that is her family. I have a feeling I looked at that one in Camberwell before and it wasn't her. I found a Gertrude, can't remember the second name but I know my granny Edith called one of her children Gertrude so perhaps I will order that. I really have to go to bed now as I can't think any more and cannot find anything in my folder of papers!! Thanks once again for all your help, it is really appreciated. I will come back on if I get the correct certificate.
Night, night.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 03:43

Ah, the "Robert Cane" on Edith's marriage certificate.

I suspect that since she was 4 when Charles Cane died, she simply didn't know his name.

Who were the witnesses to her marriage?

If they match any of the Cane siblings in the censuses, that would be good.

If they don't -- she may have been estranged from her family, her mother having remarried, and that would explain not asking about her father's name.

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 03:47

Hi Janey, Just read your latest!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a surprise. You never know what is going to turn up eh!! I have been looking at the census on genes. I have been writing furiously on bits of paper and then got them all confused. I will have to sit down and sort them all out. I will have to learn a few more skills. I should know about copying and pasting. Anyway thanks once again.
Sheila.

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Mar 2010 03:54

No the witnesses are not family names, They are Elizabeth Wert or Ivert and Harry Shaw. Maybe Elizabeth was a married sister, I have now lost the plot and am going to bed. Thanks once again Janey.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 03:56

I can only imagine what your dreams will look like. ;)

jax

jax Report 22 Mar 2010 04:07

Charles cane married Amy callaghan 28/4/1879 Lambeth
He was 21 she was 18. Her dad was William Callaghan dec'd This time ummmm
When she married In 1913 her father was charles Haye or Hange dec'd...ohhh Im going to bed Im getting confused now

jax