Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frederic Smith Norfolk 1800 REVISED...Need Help

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 07:11

REVISED..Need help with census information
I have found information about my GGG Grandfather Frederick Smith, but can't find anything about his parents and earlier ancestry.
Frederick (Fredrick) was born 1801 East Dereham, Norfolk. Possible death 1867 or 1871 Bethnal Green. Married to Elizabeth Rigby (1799) 1820, and had 3 sons. Remarried to Elizabeth Brees (Breese, Breeze) (1818) 1838.
I have the children's information, and Elizabeth Brees' family information back to 1670's.
I have 1841, 51 and 61 census all addressed similar place...Ely Place.
I do not need information regarding his children, but trying to find his parents and siblings.
Thanks.
Further information...Records found for FREDERIC LEAKE, born base to SUSANNAH SMITH 1800.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 19 Apr 2010 11:48

Have you tried a search on this site to see if anyone else is looking for the family, or the IGI on familysearch.org
Liz

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 12:36

Yep, I've used everything except for Ancestry as I can't afford the membership. And I don't dare use the free trial 'cos I just know I'll forget to cancel.
Here's something interesting that I saw on Ancestry...a hint that I can't follow up of a Frederick Smith, born in Dereham Norfolk..MASSACHUSETTS USA, and died in Bethnal Green. This could be the reason there is no info, if he was from USA.

K

K Report 19 Apr 2010 12:36

The certifcate from the second marriage should list his father's name

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 12:44

I don't have any certificates at all. With thanks to GR members and an outside researcher, I have been able to get as much information as I have, which is more than I dreamed of. Frederick is the direct paternal line to my Great Grandmother, so an important person to trace. It has been relatively easy finding inlaws to other children, just can't pinpoint this one.
My G Grandmother died when nan was 13. She was an only surviving child, and her father died when she was young too. There are no family relatives remotely close that are alive and available to help, so no way to get certificates through the family.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 19 Apr 2010 12:45

Keep an eye on FreeREG. It's a growing database so whilst he may not be on there at the moment he may appear at some point in the future.

Jill

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Apr 2010 12:46

His second marriage. Original says father not known.
Name: Frederick Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1838
Spouse Name: Elizabeth Brees
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 17 Mar 1838
Parish: St Matthew, Bethnal Green
County: Middlesex
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Spouse Father Name: Thomas Brees

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 19 Apr 2010 12:48

Here is the marriage reference to Elizabeth:

Marriages Mar 1838 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ames Eliza Temperance Bethnal Green 2 8
Bayley Francis Godman Capell Bethnal Green 2 8
XXX - Brees Elizabeth Bethnal Green 2 8
Cannon Ellen Bethnal Gn 2 8
James James Bethnal Green 2 8
XXX - SMITH Frederick Bethnal Green 2 8
Wagstaff Thomas Bethnal Green 2 8
Whitehead Rachel Bethnal Green 2 8

You can apply to the General Register Office (GRO) for a marriage certificate. Cost is now £9.25.

Jill

Potty

Potty Report 19 Apr 2010 12:54

I wouldn't put too much faith in that Ancestry entry with a birth in the USA - Ancestry sometimes assumes births are there if no country is entered.

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 13:03

Yes, that is the mariage date I have, but no age for Frederick.
Thanks for the advice Potty, though I have had a look, and there is the same name place, and without being able to see the details, there were several Frederick Smiths that sailed to England in the correct period:(

Susan

Susan Report 19 Apr 2010 14:05

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
about Frederick Smith
Name: Frederick Smith
Spouse Name: Elizabeth Rigby
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 21 Aug 1820
Parish: St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney
County: Middlesex
Borough: Tower Hamlets

Witts
Thomas Rigby
Sarh Rigby

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Apr 2010 14:22

I agree with Potty, don't put any faith in that entry that says born Norfolk, USA. I recall a tree I worked on that had a birth in Rutland and some American decided it was Rutland, Vermont, USA. It wasn't.

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 14:22

Thankyou Susan, info I didn't have.
I will add that I have sent messages to tree matches for Frederick, have had 1 reply and it is a match, though no information either on their tree...fingers crossed the other members will have something.

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 14:48

Susan, the witnesses to the Smith Rigby wedding...I have found Thomas as her father, but the mother was listed as Susanna. Perhaps Sarah was a sister, or even step mother. Another possibility is Thomas was her brother, and Sarah his wife??
Another thought, thanks Margaret, is that on marriage certificate father unknown. Orphan? Adopted? Born out of wedlock perhaps? All very interesting and all very hard to trace.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Apr 2010 14:57

Not on marriage certificate, Wendy, but on parish record of marriage on Ancestry.

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 15:03

The father's name? Or the Rigby's?

Hilary

Hilary Report 19 Apr 2010 15:15

Found a Frederic Smith baptised in East Dereham july 1800. Looks like Frederic Leake, base born, mother Susannah Smith. It is a bit faint.
You can look for yourself on family search. I put a thread up last week about Norfolk parish records on Family Search. I will nudge it up for you. It is on Tips Board.
Hilary.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Apr 2010 15:18

Sorry, Wendy, no fathers were named on the 1820 Rigby marriage (I guess it wasn't done back then)
On the Brees marriage it says beside Frederick's name father not known.

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Apr 2010 15:25

Yes, that makes it a bigger mystery.

Susan

Susan Report 19 Apr 2010 15:51

Hi Wendy

The 1838 marriage cert says in the orginal image that his father is not known.

The other marriage to Elizabeth Rigby 1820 I posted is a Parish record as Margaret said and does not state the fathers names.
Sue

Edite
Witts to the Smith / Brees marriage are
Sarah Smith
Robert Chambers.