Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing marriage and birth

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:03

Please could somebody help me find the marriage of Harold Young ( b William Harold Young OND 1898 in Steyning) to Nancy ?( probably Sanderson) some time after the 1st World War. They had three children Zena, Dennis and Richard (names recalled by an aunt). I have searched FreeBMD and found births for a Zena S Young AMJ 1931 and a Dennis S Young OND 1927 but no Richard as yet. This is where I have the surname Sanderson from. At some stage the couple seperated and Nancy went to Canada with at least one son. If anyone could tell me where I could find evidence of her emigrating I would appreciate it. The family story says her son returned to England to try and trace his relatives but the uncle he contacted wouldn't help him because of some past family row. I'd love to try and put that right if I could find him and this is my starting point.
Thanks.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 May 2010 21:12

Just to confirm (helps my ageing brain!) If all esle fails you could get the cert.

Births Jun 1931 (>99%)
Young Zena S Sanderson Northampton 3b 87

Mike *

Mike * Report 11 May 2010 21:16

Marriages Mar 1948
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardcastle Nancy - Young Leeds 2c 408

Young William H - Hardcastle Leeds 2c 408

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:18

brummiejan
That's the one I have. Also Young Dennis S Sanderson Northampton 3b 73

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:21

Michael, I think that would be too late and doesn't tie up with the birth records but worth considering if nothing else turns up.We know that records aren't always accurate!!

Lynn

Mike *

Mike * Report 11 May 2010 21:24

Not convinced unless the A is for Ann, alias Nancy

Marriages Sep 1922 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SANDERSON Ruth A - Young - Lanchester 10a 603

YOUNG William - Sanderson - Lanchester 10a 603

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 May 2010 21:27

Problem is, Nancy was often used as a pet name. By all means look further but you are fortunate in having Zena's unusual name to work with, and her birth cert will give you mother's name of course.
jan

Mike *

Mike * Report 11 May 2010 21:28

There are a lot of births to Young and Sanderson from all different parts of the country.

If you are sure the Zena birth you found is correct then your best bet would be to buy the cert and confirm
the mothers name

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 May 2010 21:31

Just speculating, but in view of Lanchester marriage - maybe Richard was illegitimate?:

Births Mar 1915 (99%)
Sanderson Richard Sanderson Lanchester 10a 710

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 11 May 2010 21:31

It may be that Sanderson was her maiden name which would show on the birth registration, but she may have been a widow when they married so the marriage could be under a completely different name.

Zena's birth certificate would definitely be the best bet.

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:32

brummiejan,
I was hoping to avoid the expense of a certificate but I do seem to have drawn a blank with this one. I saw the marriage Michael forwarded and it is possible he married away from Northampton (his home town) as he was in the army and may have met his wife to be anywhere. Still would need a certificate to have any proof though!
thanks for your help.

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:35

brummiejan, Now thats a possibility - not a first by any means in this family!

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:36

There are so many possibilities aren't there? A widow could be very likely in view of the war - another avenue for me to investigate. Thanks for the suggestion.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 11 May 2010 21:37

The only Ruth A Sanderson on the 1911....and guess where she is??

1911 RG14PN29870 RG78PN1729 RD550 SD1 ED19 SN76 Registration District:Lanchester Sub District:Tanfield
Address: 17 Pike Street Dipton R S O County: Durham
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SANDERSON, Thomas Head Married M 46 1865 Master Shifter In Coal Mine Durham Hetton
SANDERSON, Jane Wife Married 25 years F 42 1869 Durham Dipton
GATES, Sussanh M Daughter Married F 20 1891 Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, George R Son Single M 18 1893 Pony Putter In Coal Mine Durham Dipton
>>>SANDERSON, Ruth A Daughter Single F 14 1897 School Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, Thomas Son M 12 1899 School Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, Emma R Daughter F 10 1901 School Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, Joseph Son M 8 1903 Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, Ada R Daughter F 5 1906 Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, Ralph R Son M 3 1908 Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, James R G Son M 0 (6 MONTHS) 1911 Durham Dipton
GATES, William Grandchild M 2 1909 Durham Dipton
GATES, Emma Grandchild F 1 1910 Durham Dipton
HALL, Sussannah Visitor Married F 72 1839 Durham Dipton
SANDERSON, George H Visitor Single M 29 1882 Onsetter In Coal Mine Durham Dipton

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:40

brummiejan
I also found a birth for Alfred Sanderson b OND 1925 Northampton 3b 35 - another possible illegitimate child but nothing to hint at him being a Richard but I've discovered during my searches the birth name is often disregarded for something else along the way!

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 11 May 2010 21:44

All these births fit the Lanchester marriage found...

John G Young Jan Feb Mar 1923 Lanchester Durham
Mary J Young Jul Aug Sep 1924 Lanchester Durham
Ruth Young Jul Aug Sep 1926 Lanchester Durham
William Young Oct Nov Dec 1928 Lanchester Durham
Jane R Young Oct Nov Dec 1930 Lanchester Durham
Norah Young Jul Aug Sep 1934 Lanchester Durham
Ada Young Oct Nov Dec 1937 Lanchester Durham

Could the unusual name have been remembered as Zena when it might have been Norah?

Tracey x

mumof4

mumof4 Report 11 May 2010 21:50

Tracey
It was definitely Zena - my aunt who is in her eighties now remembers her. She was a couple of years younger than my aunt which ties in with the 1931 birth date. I've never heard of any connection with Durham - the family were mainly situated in Northampton or Sussex. My aunt knew her aunt as Nancy. Apparantly Zena married and her husband was killed after which she married her husbands best friend.
Lynn

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 11 May 2010 21:52

ooooh, ok that gives us a little more to go on...

So we could do with finding Zena's marriage and husbands death to tie in locations....

Tracey x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 11 May 2010 21:54

I shall PM you the Sussex marriage for a Zena S Young.

T x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 May 2010 21:55

After all that we are back to getting tht birth cert I think!
jan