Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish marriage

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 27 Jan 2011 14:48

Im looking to trace the marriage of a Alice Devoy & Michael Byrne in Ireland and it probably took place in Kildare. They were both roman carholic & had children Anastacia born 6th Feb 1852,Bridget born 15th April 1868, Alice born 4th Jan 1871 & Ellen born 30 Dec 1864.

Can anyone help? Thanks x

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2011 19:45

http://kildare.rootsireland.ie/

There's a marriage for 1848 Newbridge for a Michael Byrne & a Ally Devoy.

There's also 9 baptism for children of Michael Byrne's & Ally/Alice/Alicia Devoy

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 27 Jan 2011 21:25

Im not subscribed to that and i only know of Alice, Bridget, Ellen & Anastacia. I dont suppose you could give me the details of the others if possible? Thanks Sharon x

Maura

Maura Report 28 Jan 2011 15:11

You don't have to subscribe to the site just register, it's free to search but if you want to view the full record you have to pay

Baptisms Newbridge R.C. Co Kildare
Anastasia 1852 mother Alice Devoy
James 1853 mother Ally Devoy
Anne 1854 mother Alicia Devoy
John 1858 mother Ally Devoy
Laurence 1863 mother Alicia Devoy
Ellen 1865 mother Alice Devoy
Mary 1866 motehr Alicia Devoy
Brigid 1868 mother Alicia Devoy
Alice 1871 mother Alice Devoy

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 28 Jan 2011 15:55

Thanks for this information Maura it has taken me 6 years to find the right family and i think i finally have. You may have seen my posts on here and my gt grandmother Ellen Byrne used variants of her first name such as Penelope & Penella and its made research really hard. I think Alice & Michael are her parents. Thanks for your help xx

Maura

Maura Report 28 Jan 2011 16:40

Shazzlou there's a birth for a Alicia surname spelt Deevy 1826 Rahan co Offaly father's a John on the same site. Newbridge in Co Kildare is in the barony of Offaly east.

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 28 Jan 2011 17:46

Do you think it could be the same one?

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 28 Jan 2011 17:47

Seems Ellen was like her mother and liked changing sound of first name! Alice, Ally & Alicia!!

Maura

Maura Report 28 Jan 2011 18:07

It's a possibility, unfortunitely it does'nt look as if the father's name's are on the marriage record, but that far back father's names were'nt on them. Alice was more than likely her name and got Ally for short, I not 100% sure but Alicia could be the latin spelling of Alice, as R.C. records would have been mostly written in Latin back then.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Jan 2011 18:12

Spot on Maura...Alicia would be what was in the Baptismal Record....
Yes I remember well Penelope !!!!

Maura

Maura Report 28 Jan 2011 18:45

Thanks Erin, thought that but wasn't sure

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 29 Jan 2011 00:11

Its a shame fathers names are not on marriage record, i suppose this means that with a name like Michael Byrnes his baptismal record will be impossible to trace?

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 29 Jan 2011 13:26

I have ordered Ellen Byrne birth certificate & im hoping it may say born 6 Mc clane Lane on it! Looked at 1901 census & Alice a widow living with daughter Mary who is unmarried! Really think this is right family. Thanks for all the help! x

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 6 Feb 2011 15:46

The birth certificate arrived but no address recorded on it.
This is a puzzle as 1911 census Ellen/ Penelope Lewis living 43 Herbert st Wolverhampton gave her birthplace as oylegate co Wexford but no birth record found apart from one in 1860 listing an Ellen Byrne father named Peter and mother Margaret but her fathers name on marriage certificate in 1891 Curragh Camp Ireland was MIchael Byrne occupation labourer.
On her first marriage to a Henry Jackson May 1882 her father was listed as Nicholas Byrne labourer and on his death in 1886 Bridget Byrne (her sister) was present at death. I believe from certifictaes 6 Mclanes Lane was Byrnes family home as listed on certificates. I believe the birth certificate i have recieved is correct family as right area but Michael is listed as farmer not labourer. opinions & advice needed, why would shesay she was born Wexford and not Newbridge??

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 6 Feb 2011 16:46

NUDGE

Maura

Maura Report 6 Feb 2011 18:11

Shazzlou, there's a John Byrne living at 6.1 McClanes Lane 1901could be Ellen brother

Residents of a house 6.1 in McClanes Lane (Merchants Quay, Dublin)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Byrne John 31 Male Head of Family Catholic City Dublin Baker Read and write - Married -
McDonnell Elizabeth 30 Female Sister Catholic City Dublin Carriage Trioner Read and write - Not Married -
Byrne John Male Son Catholic City Dublin - Cannot read - - -
Byrne Teresa 26 Female Wife Catholic City Dublin - Read and write

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 8 Feb 2011 12:35

Thanks again for all your help!! Maura & Eringobragh1916 xx

Maura

Maura Report 8 Feb 2011 14:13

Shazzlou, can I ask how you got from Oylegate Co wexford to Newbridge Co Kildare, I've read your old threads not unless I've missed one, but I can't understand how you ended up searching Kildare. According to the 1901 census she was born Wexford and you said 1911 has her born Oylegate Wexford. The census only give a estimate birth year so she could of been born a few years before. Registration didn't start until 1864 for birth in Ireland, so you would have to find her baptism, St David's R.C. Oylegate town Co Wexford maybe able to help you.

This site has burial for Glasnevin Dublin there a burial for a Henry Jackson , also burials for a Nicholas Byrne

JACKSON HENRY DUBLIN Glasnevin 1886 Burial 30 -
BYRNE NICHOLAS DUBLIN Glasnevin 1899 Burial 60
BYRNE NICHOLAS DUBLIN. Glasnevin 1900 Burial 56
There is more than 1 person buried in these graves

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 8 Feb 2011 15:54

1911 Penelope said she was born Oylegate Co Wexford and Yola Farm in Wexford did a search for me and the only birth they found in 1860 was for Ellen Byrne in Oylegate and her parents were Peter Byrne & Margaret Bulger. The age she gives in all census would have made her born 1864 and 4 years older they my gt grandfather. The first marriage certificate is correct as has my gt grandfather on it and was soldier in staffs reg. That gives her fathers name as Michael. On finding certificate for 1st marriage and also her child of that marriage those certificates seem right but how come father Nicholas listed on that? What you have found is interesting Maura! I know its confusing me searching in Kildare again but when her marriage to my gt grandfather was in Curragh and then i saw that birth for an Ellen Byrne 1864 Curragh and my gt grandparents seem to have told so many lies in documents i have found!!! Im tearing my hair out!!! Glasnevin Dublin is that Wexford or near Curragh??? And does it give more info??

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 8 Feb 2011 16:02

Just tried to look on website and it says there is an error