Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

maurice stanley baker grandfather and dad

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vikki

Vikki Report 19 Mar 2011 15:11

Hi I am trying to find my grandfather his name was Maurice Stanley Baker and he came from Cavindish Sudbury essex, He married my nan Dorothy at colchester registery office i also believe he was in the army, they had a daughter my mum Janice, the last time my mum saw him was 36 years ago before she got married. I believe he is in touch with other family members connected to my nan but due to family arguments I can not approch them for information and also know that they would not give any to me, My mum has always wanted him in her life but due to interferring relatives thought it was better to lie and say she wanted nothing to do with him. I hope someone can help as iwould love to know him and let him know he has great grandchildren

patchem

patchem Report 19 Mar 2011 15:46

Could you give a few dates?
I think Cavendish and Sudbury are in Suffolk. Could you confirm?
Thanks

Astra

Astra Report 19 Mar 2011 15:53

To find where he is now you need anElectoral Roll look-up.
Try 192.com

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 19 Mar 2011 16:19

Maurice S Baker married Dorothy I Johnson, Dec 1956, Colchester.

Vikki

Vikki Report 19 Mar 2011 17:11

thanks yes Cavendish is in Suffolk I know his mum lived there as for a few dates the only date i have is my mums birthday 14/05/57 but if Carolyn is right that is my nan so they married december 1956 do you have any more info Carolyn?? thanks

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 19 Mar 2011 17:42

I found those details on the Ancestry marriage indexes and the only other info is the reference no. which is 4a 1006. To find out more details such as Maurice's age and father's name you will need to order a copy of the marriag certificate from the GRO quoting that reference. Good luck.

patchem

patchem Report 19 Mar 2011 17:43

Do you know if he is definitely still alive?
Could you get his marriage certificate for ages and father's name?
Thanks

Vikki

Vikki Report 19 Mar 2011 18:06

Thanks Carolyn for all your help I can now get their marriage certificate :)

Patchem i have inboxed you thanks

Vikki

Vikki Report 21 Mar 2011 15:47

Hi all have managed to find a year of birth and mothers maiden name,

Maurice Stanley Baker born 1921 in the district West Ham and county of Essex, Suffolk

Mothers Maiden name was Digby

Any further help is much appreciated

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Mar 2011 16:18

This looks like Maurice's parents marriage.

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baker Harold Digby Hackney 1b 1209
Digby Winifred M Baker Hackney 1b 1209

If you look on freebmd there are 10 possible siblings for Maurice born in West Ham between 1915 and 1934. It may be possible to work forward from some of those. A death for on of his older siblings may give an informant's address that is still current?

Vikki

Vikki Report 21 Mar 2011 16:32

thank you am now having a look

Vikki

Vikki Report 21 Mar 2011 16:56

hi sorry im having problems finding the sibling entries could you help please i can find the marriage part on freebmd but am not sure how to find the siblings thanks vikki

patchem

patchem Report 21 Mar 2011 19:18

To find siblings just search for births and enter surnames of the parents (Baker and Digby) and this will give you births of children with those parents' surnames.
Years from 1914 to however long you think.

Vikki

Vikki Report 22 Mar 2011 07:35

thanks have managed to find the names now and a possible brother here are the names of possible siblings if anyone can help further it would be great thanks
Parents Harold Baker and Winifred Digby
Possible Siblings
Roanald 1920
Alan 1926
Iris 1928
Brian 1932
Harold 1915
Roy 1925
Cycril 1919
Terence 1923 - 1947
And of course Maurice S Baker 1921

Flick

Flick Report 22 Mar 2011 10:17

What 'further' help are you looking for?

in which direction do you wish to research?

Posting the births, for second name initial info

Births Sep 1915 (>99%)

BAKER Harold F P Digby W.Ham 4a 808

Births Sep 1917 (>99%)

BAKER Cyril T Digby W.Ham 4a 625

Births Mar 1920 (>99%)

Baker Ronald D Digby W.Ham 4a 1075

Births Jun 1921 (>99%)

BAKER Maurice S Digby W.Ham 4a 760

Births Mar 1924 (>99%)

Baker Terence G Digby W.Ham 4a 686

Births Jun 1925 (>99%)

Baker Roy E Digby W.Ham 4a 649

Births Mar 1927 (>99%)

Baker Alan D Digby W.Ham 4a 554

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1928 (>99%)

Baker Iris K Digby W.Ham

Births Sep 1932 (>99%)

Baker Brian West Ham
Births Dec 1934 (>99%)

Baker Peter R W Ham

Flick

Flick Report 22 Mar 2011 10:19

Name: Harold F P Baker
Death Registration Month/Year: 1917
Age at death (estimated): 1
Registration district: West Ham
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 4a
Page: 549

Flick

Flick Report 22 Mar 2011 10:26

Have you tried looking on freebmd for info about marriages for (at least) the older siblings?

Flick

Flick Report 22 Mar 2011 10:31

This MAY be Alan

Name: Alan Dennis Baker
Birth Date: 16 Dec 1926
Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 2004
Age at death (estimated): 77
Registration district: Havering
Inferred County: Essex
Register number: HA94
District and Subdistrict: 234/1A
Entry Number: 199

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 22 Mar 2011 11:12

I intentionally didn't post details of those births as several of them are hopefully still living given the birth years..........or perhaps I am just fortunate enough to have friends and family still alive that were born before any of those!

Flick

Flick Report 22 Mar 2011 11:15

It was too late by the time Vikki had done so............and surely you noticed that I had edited the late ones