Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 28 Mar 2011 19:13

I'm looking for Phillip Glover born in Mount Sorrel, Leics in 1809/10. He states on the 1881 census that he's from Mount Sorrel, Leics. but on prior census returns he states Nottinghamshire as his birthplace. He works as a Cordwainer. I would really like to know if he had a brother named Benjamin.

Apologies if I've been too vague but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lin

patchem

patchem Report 28 Mar 2011 19:17

Do you know his wife's maiden name, or have you found their place of marriage?
Thanks

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Mar 2011 19:20

Can you give the information about Benjamin?

Not fair to expect others to go hunting for it, and how could we investigate any possible connection without having that information?!

Presumably it's Benjamin you have info about?

Dea

Dea Report 28 Mar 2011 19:21

Is this him on 1841??

1841 England Census
about Philip Glover Name: Philip Glover
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1808

Civil parish: Greasley
Hundred: Broxtow (South Division)
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Registration district: Basford
Sub-registration district: Greasley
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Philip Glover 33 Shoe maker (cordwainer)
Ann Glover 30
Joseph Glover 7
Martha Glover 5
Jane Glover 3
Benjamin Glover 1

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 857; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Greasley; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 16; Page: 24; Line: 12; GSU roll: 438904.

Dea x

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Mar 2011 19:27

DIY ...

1851?

Name: Benjamin Glover
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Glover
> Where born: Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, England

Civil parish: Hathern
County/Island: Leicestershire

Benjamin Glover 27
Mary Ann Glover 25
Mary Ann Glover 8 MO
Thomas Gratton 18

Name: Benjamin Glover
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Where born: Leicestershire, England

Civil parish: Hathern
County/Island: Leicestershire

Benjamin Glover 45
Ann Glover 40
Mary Glover 20
Benjamin Glover 15
Maria Glover 15
Elizabeth Glover 12
William Glover 3

Is it the Sr Benjamin you're referring to?

Kevin

Kevin Report 29 Mar 2011 11:48

Hello and thank you to those people who replied to my query regarding Phillip Glover in a very kindly and helpful manner. However, I was a little dismayed to receive the message 'DIY' and that it is 'not fair' to expect others to go 'hunting' for it (from one respondent in particular).

I thought the purpose of the forum was to receive help and advice especially for those like myself, who are mere 'novices' in researching their family trees. I didn't expect to get a lecture from the class 'smart alec'. It is this sort of response that would dissuade me and others from posting any further queries and also to renewing my subscription to Genes Reunited. Perhaps you need to take your 'anorak' off for a while!

Linda Banks

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 29 Mar 2011 12:33

Hi Linda,

Not sure if English death certs show issue at time of death (in Australia they do), that may be a way of confirming if the parents of Philip had other children.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 29 Mar 2011 14:15

Oh well, Kevin/Linda, whose nose would that be the skin off?

There are lots of helpful instructions posted by the site management all over here.

"Help Clinic" in the upper left.

A post called "How to use" pinnned at the top of the TTF board.

And if you miss all that, the instructions that appear in front of you when you start a thread.

They all say:

Give as much detail as possible when explaining who you are trying to find. All known information will make it much easier for volunteer helpers to help you.

If known, try putting the name, place of birth and year of birth in the subject line of your thread.

After posting a question, please stay on the boards for a while as replies are very quick. You may be needed to answer questions and give feedback to the replies given.

Nonetheless, in an effort to HELP YOU, I did it myself, and posted the information that was presumably the source of your query.

You're welcome!

I just love the "manners" displayed by people who do things like this.

"Sorry about that ..." is all that's needed. But noooo, much better to launch personal attacks. And they just all sound so much like they're coming from the same script. Is it one that's taught in school, or picked up from the TV ... or does it come from somewhere closer by? .........

But hey, let me help just one little bit more, while I'm here, and just because I'm like that.

After 1865, English birth certificates show age at death; before that, they seldom do. English birth certificates do not name any family members, except sometimes in the case of young children when parents are named. The best info on an English birth certificate is usually the name of the informant (who might be a family member, and if so is likely to be a spouse or child) and address at death.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Mar 2011 14:22

very uncalled for indeed to call a fellow member a "smart Alec" - big mistake really as this particular Smart Alec is in my humble opinion one of the best researchers on the boards - you are lucky to have her help you - you should apologise

I have by the way reported you to GR fo verbal abuse, which this most certainly is

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Mar 2011 15:23

so no apology then?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 29 Mar 2011 15:37

Heh, Ann o' GG. Even responding to the request by offering the additional info in order to get further help would have been adequate!

Maybe you should have a go at it ... in your inimitable hammer and tongs way. ;)

I actually did do some searching at pilot.familysearch but didn't come up with anything definitively promising by way of baptisms/marriages ... but you have your sources!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Mar 2011 16:10

you know my sources Janey - iffy!!!!

Kevin

Kevin Report 29 Mar 2011 17:07

Did it ever cross your minds that I gave as much detail as I had??

As for reporting my 'abuse' - go ahead but don't be a hypocrite and not report the attack on me in the last reply given by JaneyCanuck.

Incidentally, the information you provided was NOT the Glover family I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone else and goodbye.

Linda Banks

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 30 Mar 2011 00:25

Thanks Janey for the explaination on what is on an English death certificate, I wasn't sure if they contained as much information as the Australian ones.

Linda was any of the information found by anyone the family you are looking for? I thought Janey had given a lot of assistance, but you have discounted all of that but not commented on Dea's find.

I think let's just concentrate on looking for who you want and not get the thread bogged down in arguing if possible. Plenty of people are extremely helpful, in my experience.

Kevin

Kevin Report 30 Mar 2011 12:20

Against my better judgement I am responding again, however I do not wish to get involved in any 'tit for tat' scenarios. However, I should have thanked Dea for her assistance. The Phillip you had in the 1841 census is correct. I can follow Phillip on most of the census returns but I was just trying to find out if he possibly had a brother named Benjamin but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks once again Dea and apologies for not mentioning it earlier. Also, I would like to say that I'm using the PC in the library and so its not always possible for me to 'stay on line' for any immediate responses (time constraints etc.,).

Regards
Linda Banks

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 30 Mar 2011 13:35

Hi Linda, can i please just ask what information you have that leads you into thinking that Phillip may have a brother Benjamin ?
I have had a route around but cant find any connection.
Regards........PH.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Mar 2011 16:16

unfortunately this record will not open fully for me

Phillip Glover
England and Wales Census, 1881
birth: 1810 — Mount Sorrel, Leicester, England
christening:
baptism:
death:
burial:
residence: 1881 — Greasley, Nottingham, England

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Mar 2011 16:17

Phillip GLOVER Head W Male 71 Mount Sorrel, Leicester, England Cordwainer
Martha HOLLAND Daur M Female 44 Kimberley, Nottingham, England None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Shepherds Ter
Census Place Greasley, Nottingham, England
Family History Library Film 1341792
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 3321 / 148
Page Number 53

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Mar 2011 17:06

Third time lucky, maybe.

Perhaps Linda can see why I first and then others would be asking *about Benjamin*.

We doubt that Linda just invented the name Benjamin and the notion that Philip Glover had a brother by that name.

We think there is a reason for this question.

We think Linda knows something that leads her to think that Philip Glover may have had a brother named Benjamin.

We don't know what that reason is. What facts there might be that lead Linda to think there was a Benjamin Glover who may have been a brother of Philip Glover.

Odd coincidence that I found a Benjamin Glover, and maybe his father Benjamin Glover, born in Mount Sorrel, the birth place mentioned for Philip Glover, but this isn't the Benjamin Glover in question.

So we wonder ... WHO IS the Benjamin Glover in question?

Seems such a reasonable question, doesn't it?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Mar 2011 17:12

Benjamin Glover
England and Wales Census, 1861
birth: 1824 — Mountsorrel, Leicestershire
christening:
baptism:
death:
burial:
residence: 1861 — Hathern, Leicestershire, England
parents:
spouse: