Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Young and or Vail Family in Canada

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 15:11

Looking for relative in Canada.
My Mother's maiden name was Vail her Father was called Walter G Vail and her Mother was called Irene L Young before she married Walter.
Ive already found my Cousin but I know there's more of my family out there as my Grandparents Walter and Irene wasn't an only child both of them had brothers or sisters or both.
My Mum told me one of there's Family originated from England , I'm still trying to find evidence to prove this.
There was suppose to be a fire in a building that destroyed all the documents.... not sure what year or building though xx <3 <3

Barry

Barry Report 26 May 2011 15:23

Do you know when your grandparents were born ?

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 16:49

only my grandmother she was born on the 30th may 1916 and I guessed my grandfather death for what my mother told me she told me my grandfather passed away six months after my sister was born which would of been around 1970 :-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 May 2011 17:48

Could this be Walter? Are they from Newfoundland like your other thread?

1935 CENSUS
St. John's East - PAGES 421-438
WARD 1
ST. JOHN'S EAST DISTRICT

VAIL Joseph Head M M 60
VAIL Elizabeth Wife F M 57
VAIL Walter Son M S 27

Irene?

1945 Census
District of Twillingate

TWILLINGATE - SOUTHSIDE

YOUNG Edward Father M M 68 Twillingate Twillingate
YOUNG Emily Wife F M 63 Twillingate Twillingate
YOUNG S Edward Son M S 28 Twillingate Twillingate
YOUNG Irene L Daughter F S 16 Twillingate Twillingate

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 18:15

yes and all those name in the Vail family I have in my tree I dont know if my info is right though its word of mouth told to me by my mother... Walters father is Joseph.... Joseph suppose to have married five time and he had a sister.....and my grandmother Irene Lena Young had brothers and sisters Ambros, James, Florence, Mildred and Irene's father was called Herbert all this info I have is all so word of mouth told to me by my mother x :-)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 18:34

Hi Peggy -- when alviegal says your other thread, she means the one on Living Relatives? I do hope that's the only other!

I'd PMed Peggy to say she'd get a lot more help if she posted on this board, and look, it's started already. ;)

I mentioned that I don't know of any fires in Canada destroying records (in Ireland and in WWII in England for WWI records, but not here) -- unless it happened to be a particular church in Nfld that held parish records.

Nfld wasn't part of Canada until 1949, so unfortunately none of these people will appear in the 1911 census of Canada, e.g.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 19:01

Hi Peggy. You have to reply in the thread and not by private message -- it makes us all crazy. Just use the box at the bottom of the thread that says "Add your reply".

You said:

so when I read Irish newfoundlander in the Quilty info I was sent by some very help people like yourself does this mean Quilty family original can from Ireland

So the other thread is about Quiltys.

A large proportion of Newfoundland families originally came from Ireland! That's why they talk like that. ;)

I have some Nfld sources bookmarked away and I'll take a poke and see whether I can find any more than alviegal already has.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 19:18

This is a link for St John's Nfld vital statistics (births, marriages, deaths) records

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/1vstats-sjc-idx.shtml

The records aren't indexed and searchable like BMD records are for England, for instance.

You have to search through each set of records there.

My suggestion is that you "right-click" with your mouse on each link, one by one, and select "open in new tab".

Then you can search for VAIL and YOUNG in the records on each page. Use the "find" function in your browser (control-F) to look for the names.

When you've finished (bookmark any page that has relevant records maybe, and copy down the info), go back to the tab with the list and open the next link, and so on.

If you know what religion they were it could help.

... I did check a few baptism and marriage lists for around 1875, about when Joseph Vail was born, but no luck.

Here's another way to search that site.

Put this in the search box at Google

site:ngb.chebucto.org vail

(copy that exactly)

There are about 169 results -- including the 1935 census alviegal found for you. You can browse through them and see whether anything is interesting.

You had been told that Irene's father was Herbert -- the one in the 1945 census has father Herbert ... and is too young ...

Irene L Young was born 30 May 1916.
Walter Vail was 27 in 1935 so about 1908?

When did they marry, do you know? And where?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 19:20

Margaret is still sending PMs. ;)

sorry it not letting me send you a message on the board for some reason Ive got four post on message boards 2 on living relative and 2 on ancestors both sets of grandparents names are on there Young and Vail on my Mums side and Quilty and Parrell on my Fathers side

Thank you you all have been a mine field of information cant thank you all enough and thank you for that tip about other board

Just use that box down at the bottom, and then click Submit!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 19:32

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html

Just search for surname Vail, place Newfoundland, Canada, no other info.

There are 19 results. This is the only one that looks relevant.

Could Walter have had a sister Muriel?

Name: Muriel Vail
Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jun 1905
Baptism/Christening Place: Lower Island Cove, Newfoundland, Canada
Father's Name: Josephus Vail
Mother's Name: Evangeline
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04723-3
Collection: Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959

Also -- take a look at the main page here

http://ngb.chebucto.org/

to see what records there are that you might browse through.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 20:01

It turns out you can do an automated search of the 1945 census at that site.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/C1945/145-dist-idx.shtml

"Note: Liverpool Ave, no number, "shacks" west of #58"

197 VAIL Walter Head Male Married age 37 born St. John's 1935 residence St. John's
VAIL Irene Wife Female Married age 29 St. John's / St. John's
VAIL June Daughter age 3 born St. John's
VAIL Herbert Son age 1 born St. John's

June is your mum?

Do you know Herbbert / is he living / is it all right with him to have that info here?

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 20:18

sorry about sending private messages...Ive found the box I was looking for to send you messages on here..... all the names you've just sent me are in my tree with out any real dates thank you <3 <3

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 20:24

I dont know where or when Irene and Walter got married but even though they were separated I dont think they ever Divorced <3

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 20:40

Herbert my grandmother Irene fathers I dont know when he passed away and Muriel is my grandfather Walters sister thank Ive got a few dates to go on my tree <3 <3

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 21:01

You do know that Muriel is Walter's sister?

Then you have their mother's name too, from that baptism record -- Evangeline.

(Unless Walter had a different mother! Joseph's wife in that census isn't Evangeline.)

The only thing is I would look for more confirmation of that, because I think that baptism record might be something that somebody submitted to the Mormons (we can tell from the batch numbers; it starts with an "I") and people who do that aren't always careful.

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 21:05

just been having a look at at my info in my tree muriel is walter sister Mum told me this but from the thread on here walter and Muriel have two different sets of parents but in my tree all the names of both sets of parents are there as walters parents as my great grand parents and Muriels parents as my great great grand parents <3 <3

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 21:07

Look what googling for "josephus vail" found me.

http://www.gowdy.org/goudiem.htm

There's a whole load of information there, including this

(LIC = Lower Island Cove)

5. Elizabeth Goudie b 20 June 1838 LIC
- likely the Elizabeth who md @LIC (witness Amos Goudie would then be her brother) on 14 Nov 1857 to George Vail (b 20 May 1830 LIC).
She may have been buried @LIC Oct 3 1879 age 42. They had:

1. Jabez Vail b 5 Nov 1859 LIC - bd Apr 24 1879 LIC age 19 yrs.

2. Rosanna Vail b 2 Apr 1863 LIC - died young.

3. George Vail b 15 Oct 1864 LIC - bd Mar 10 1867 LIC age 3 yrs.

4. Amelia Jane Vail bapt 10 Feb 1867 @ 3 mo. LIC

5. Mary Ann Vail b 21 May 1871 LIC - bd May 20 1886 LIC age 15

6. Rosanna Vail b 6 May 1873 LIC. IS this the ANNIE ROSE who was md @ Gower St Church, age 31, servant of LIC to Eli Dawe, 39, wid, s/o Solomon, carpenter of Kelligrews, on Nov 15 1905?

7. Josephus Vail b 4 Nov 1874 LIC - md Evangeline & had:

1. Muriel Vail b 22 Mar 1905 LIC
>>> 2. Walter George Vail b 6 May 1907 LIC

There is information at the top of the page about the people who put that tree together, and there is an email address at the very bottom of the page for the person whose site it is.

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 May 2011 22:04

Thank you ...youve solved that mystery <3 <3

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 22:36

You're quite welcome!

But remember ... you never want to adopt somebody else's say-so into your tree unless you've checked it out for yourself. ;)

With the dates there now, you may be able to find baptism records at the chebucto.org site. If you have a spare few hours!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 22:40

And don't forget to search trees at this site for all the names you gather up!

Searching for Goudie born in Newfoundland 1830 +/- 50 years

gets someone with numerous Goudies born in Lower Island Cove.