Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ellen Veronica Crawshaw (nee McCarthy)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Sep 2011 10:05

I am searching for any information on my mother, Ellen Veronica Crawshaw. She was Born in or near Liverpool or Birkenhead, Merseyside England in 1912. She committed suicide on the 27th January 1940, she was 27 years old. She is buried in Bebbington Cemetry, Cheshire.

She married John James (aka Jack) Crawshaw of Birkenhead on the 19th December 1936, and had two daughters, Jacquline Crawshaw b. 9th November 1937 and Norma Crawshaw b. 7th September 1939.

Her father was James McCarthy and he was a Railwayman. She had 2 sisters, Mary and Iris (possibly more) and a brother who lived in Blackpool.
Any further information on her would be greatly appreciated.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Sep 2011 10:09

You seem to have loads of info on her and her family .What more are you hoping to find ??

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Sep 2011 10:10

Her birth will be on FreeBMD as will her siblings .

Edit :her birth isnt showing nither is there any record of births McCarthy mmn Troy. No marriage either ,where did you get the info on her parents

Flick

Flick Report 30 Sep 2011 10:59

Purely for INFO

Deaths Mar 1940 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crawshaw Ellen V 27 Birkenhead 8a 1642

Marriages Dec 1936 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crawshaw John J McCarthy Birkenhead 8a 1120
McCarthy Ellen V Crawshaw Birkenhead 8a 1120

Are you assuming that she was born in Birkenhead area just because she married and died there?

Lynski

Lynski Report 30 Sep 2011 11:03

Name: CRAWSHAW, Ellen V
Registration District: Help Birkenhead
County: Cheshire
Year of Registration: 1940
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death: 27
Volume No: 8A
Page No: 1642

Name: CRAWSHAW, John J
Registration District: Help Birkenhead
Year of Registration: 1936
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Spouse's last name: Mccarthy
Volume No: Help 8A
Page No: Help 1120

Name: MCCARTHY, Ellen V
Registration District: Birkenhead
Year of Registration: 1936
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Spouse's last name: Crawshaw
Volume No: 8A
Page No: 1120

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Oct 2011 01:06

Wow thank you everyone, I am still figuring out how all this works! Yes I do have a fair bit of info on Ellen, but am hoping to find more information on any relatives that may still be alive on her side so I can find more about her life as she died when I was just 2 or 3 yrs old.

Thanks so much

patchem

patchem Report 1 Oct 2011 07:19

Do you know the profession of her father, and when her parents died?
Are they likely to be Irish?
How did you find out her Mother's maiden name?
Thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2011 07:58

Hi Patchem

A friend of mine found her mothers maiden name out through the Church of the Latter day saints website. It had the information about Ellen Troys whole family. And a bit through the census (liverpool 1911) which had a William McCarthy born 1882 married to Ellen McCarthy born 1886.
This same document definitely has them from Ireland, Leamlara, Cork.

I don't know what her father's profession was, nor do I have dates for their deaths. I do have Ellen Troys parents as Hannah Connoll born abt 1854 in Cork, and James Troy born abt 1852 in Cork, Died 6 Jan 1923.

I am ultimately am truing to find any living relatives, and especially any photos as I don't know what my mum looked like.

Thanks

Jackie

Flick

Flick Report 2 Oct 2011 08:35

You really must obtain Ellen's 1936 marriage cert

It will name her father, and state his occupation

As has already been stated, there is NO recorded birth for her in England or Wales

The 'info' found by your friend appears to be totally unsubstantiated.................the LDS website is not 100% accurate.

patchem

patchem Report 2 Oct 2011 08:37

I was guessing that she was born in Ireland, then moved to England when she was fairly young. However, if you have her parents here in 1911, she should be registered over here, just no birth showing. Unless, for some reason, her Mother went back to Ireland to give birth.
Do you know whether the siblings were older or younger than her?
Have you looked on genes to see if anyone has any of her ancestors in their tree?

Flick

Flick Report 2 Oct 2011 08:43

I can't see the 1911 census 'info' to which you refer....please give full details

patchem

patchem Report 2 Oct 2011 08:49

Similarly, I have been looking for the 1911 and cannot see it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2011 09:02

I will find out more about the census - only have the info written down.
Ellen Troy was according to the latter day saints info the eldest of 5 children, next was
Catherine (Kate) B. 1890 D. 14the April 1978
Patrick, B.1884 D. 25 Aug 1971,
John James, B. 7 Oct 1888 D. 13 Feb 1969
Michael Troy, B.26 Dec 1884 D. 14 May 1955

I will look to obtain Ellen Veronica's Marriage cert, thank you

patchem

patchem Report 2 Oct 2011 09:10

Troy family in Ireland in 1911?
Residents of a house 9 in Monananig (Gortroe, Cork)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Troy James 60 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmer Read and write Irish and English Married - - - -
Troy Hanna 61 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Cork - Read and write Irish and English Married - 29 5 5
Troy Patrick 27 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmer Son Read and write - Single - - - -
Troy Ellie 24 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Cork - Read and write - Single - - - -
Troy John 22 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmer Son Read and write - Single - - - -
Troy Katie 20 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Cork - Read and write - Single - - - -
Cott James 17 Male Nephew Roman Catholic

patchem

patchem Report 2 Oct 2011 09:17

Same family in 1901
Residents of a house 7 in Monanig (Gortroe, Cork)
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Troy James 46 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmer Read and write Irish and English Married -
Troy Hannah 49 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Cork Housekeeper Read and write Irish and English Married -
Troy Patrick 17 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmer Son Read and write - Not Married -
Troy Ellie 14 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmers Daughter Read and write - Not Married -
Troy John 12 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmers Son Read and write - Not Married -
Troy Katie 10 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Cork Farmers Daughter Read and write -

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2011 10:02

Thats sounds very similar, where is that info from?
And where would I find a copy of Ellen and John's actual 1936 marriage cert? I had a look on BDM Image search and found
Name: Spouse: District: Vol: Page:
Crawshaw
- John j McCarthy Birkenhead 8a 1120

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Oct 2011 11:03

You can buy the cert using the GRO ref quoted from www.gro.gov.uk Cost £9.25 each

You register free and then follow the ordering pages Remember to tick the box on the first page where it asks if the GRO ref is known .then all you need is one of their names and the GRO ref filled in the appropriate boxes. .

patchem

patchem Report 2 Oct 2011 12:10

Irish 1901 and 1911 census information from:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/index.html

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2011 23:10

Thank you all, I have applied for the original marriage cert through GRO and will go from there

Liam

Liam Report 3 Oct 2011 00:28

Leamlara, is farming area near just outside Carrigtowill,Co Cork.You could write to the priest in Carrigtowill for info regarding baptismal / marriage certs for the, McCarthy's in Leamlara.
Gortroe is just outside Youghal.
both area's are in East Cork