Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

electoroll register Ulverston Lancashire

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 May 2012 17:53

Please can anyone that lives near the Library in Barrow in Furness look up the electorol register for me for 1929. I woud like to know wo lived at 27 Stanley Street Ulverston I will be happy to re-imburse any costs for this search. Many Thanks Pam

Jane

Jane Report 7 May 2012 18:00

Hi Pam

I can do this for you. I have only looked at the Barrow electoral rolls, so I will call in advance to see if they cover Ulverston.

Is that the only information you need?

Jane

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 May 2012 18:22

Thank you so much Thats all I need at the moment for electorol register but I would also like to know if it is possible to look at school records for Dalton in Furness for the period 1891-1900 and how i would go about that I have an address where the family and children lived and it was in St Mary Parish so that may pin point the most likely schools Thank you again Pam

Jane

Jane Report 7 May 2012 18:26

I do know they have school records, but would need to check if they have Dalton (I am sure they do, but will check).

What was the address in Dalton and the names you would like me to look up?

Jane

PS. St Mary parish sounds very much like Walney. I know this was listed as Dalton in those days.

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 May 2012 18:59

Thank you for all your help The address in 1891 was 3 Cardigan Terrace Ulverston Dalton in Furness and would relate to two children Mary Stow born 1887 and John born 1888 I guess they would only just have started school The other children were born later and they lived at 12 Cardigan Terrrace in 1901 and they would be Thomas Stow born 1892 Frank born 1893 Ada born 1895 James born 1897 Roger born 1898 Albert born 1901 Thanks again Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 May 2012 19:02

Hi again. Missed the most important one from the school look up list William George Stow born 1890 Thanks so much if i can ever be of help in West Sussex or London please let me know Pam

Jane

Jane Report 7 May 2012 19:19

Hi Pam

I will try and get to the Public Record Office tomorrow afternoon for you. I have just looked them up on the 1911 census. It would appear their name has been spelt wrongly and has been spelt STOWE.

After Albert, there is a Fred, Reginald, Nora and Eva and they are living at 33 Devonshire Street, Dalton.

Jane

Jane

Jane Report 7 May 2012 19:22

Hi again. I just looked up the original 1911 image (although you may already have seen it). William and Ellen had 13 surviving children out of 15. Wow !

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 May 2012 22:32

Yes they were a large family The E was added to the surname later and we always check both spellings now as this happens a lot William George Stow is the one that has proved the most difficult as he is the only one out of all the children that does not have a Birth Certificate even thouigh I have his exact date of birth he is also the only one of the children to be born in Messingham Lincolnshire where his Father was born and all the other Stow familes All his Brothers and sisters were born in Dalton It is a big mystery and I have tried many avenues to solve it I asked the experts at WDYTUR show in February and they cant really suggest anything else I even know he was baptised on 18t April 1890 but still no Birth entry Have been trying to find it fior 5 years ? Thanks for all what you are doing Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 May 2012 22:32

Yes they were a large family The E was added to the surname later and we always check both spellings now as this happens a lot William George Stow is the one that has proved the most difficult as he is the only one out of all the children that does not have a Birth Certificate even thouigh I have his exact date of birth he is also the only one of the children to be born in Messingham Lincolnshire where his Father was born and all the other Stow familes All his Brothers and sisters were born in Dalton It is a big mystery and I have tried many avenues to solve it I asked the experts at WDYTUR show in February and they cant really suggest anything else I even know he was baptised on 18t April 1890 but still no Birth entry Have been trying to find it fior 5 years ? Thanks for all what you are doing Pam

Jane

Jane Report 8 May 2012 10:38

Hi Pam

I looked up William myself. There is one born in Lincolnshire, but the previous year. Could he have perhaps been adopted into the family? Seems a long shot, but just wondered as he was born in Messingham. Perhaps an unmarried sister of his fathers? Although saying that, all the dates of birth run on consecutively. Very very strange.

I called the Public Record Office. They have the Electoral Records for Ulverston for that year, which is good. They did say they had certain school records, but will need to try and find out which schools were nearest their address when I get there.

Would you be interested in my looking for each childs birth entry in the local Evening Mail (should they have been put in there) and of course if you haven't already got them ?

What about cemetery records? Would you like me to enquire about the two Stow children and also William Stow senior?

Jane

Pamela

Pamela Report 8 May 2012 11:41

I am so grateful for the time you are giving to help me I would like to find the graves of the 2 children that died I am pretty certain one of them is in St Marys Any birth announcements would be good The exact date of birth foir William George Stow is 27th February 1890 and we know this because he was in the Police Force and it is on his records that we have seen at Lancashire What I cant understand is why did they go to Messingham sometime after John was born in 1888 and be back in Dalton with another child William George by the time of 1891 census Where exactly was he born in Messingvham and where were they living in Messingham as we know they were still there on 18th April for the Baptism when William George was 6 weeks old The had to be living somewhere I might check out electorol register for 1890 to see if it shows them living with family It is my mission to solve this one day May have to visit Lincolnshire I have tried the local history society but they cant solve it either Thank you one again I look forward to hearing from you Kind Regards Pam

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 8 May 2012 13:59

looking at freereg, the baptisms for Messingham are recorded

is this a coincidence?

County Lincolnshire
Place Messingham
Church Holy Trinity
RegisterNumber 401
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 18 Apr 1890 <<<<<<<<<
Forename William Jack
Sex -
FatherForename William
MotherForename Ann
FatherSurname STOW
MotherSurname
Abode Messingham
FatherOccupation Labourer
Notes
FileNumber 10388

Pamela

Pamela Report 8 May 2012 14:37

Yes that is the correct one if you enlage it you will see it is William George still doesnt get us any closer to the Birth certificate though It was suggested by experts at WDYTYR in February that it may have been missed when the local registrar sent Birth details in to GRO I have tried contacting local society at Messingham but they just keep saying it is not registerd but what I am asking therm to do is check entries for that date 27th Feb 1890 I know they are not understanding what I need them to do because they wrote to say they had done a 5 year search which they did not nee to do as we know exactly when he was born there must be an address in Messingham where they were living as they also had the 2 other young children age 2 and 3 The mystery continues Thanks Pam

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 8 May 2012 15:42

how do you look at the original please. I just copied what has been transcribed on freereg The mother's name also appears to be different if this is the marriage

Marriages Dec 1886 (>99%)
Ball Annie Ulverston 8e 1157 Scan available - click to view
>>>Harris Ellen Agustus Ulverston 8e 1157 Scan available - click to view
MOULDEN Lionel Ulverston 8e 1157 Scan available - click to view
>>>Stow William Ulverston 8e 1157

Pamela

Pamela Report 8 May 2012 16:55

It was e mailed to me sometime ago and when we enlarged the original we could see that it was the rightparents . Thanks Pam

Jane

Jane Report 8 May 2012 22:06

Hi Pam

27 Stanley Street, Ulverston - 1929

James Walker Kirkman
Annie J Kirkman
Elizabeth Agnes Sawrey
Maud Dickinson
Dorah Wilson
Sarah Taylor
Frances Eleanor Commaleach
Annie Smith
Mary Drummond
Thomas Jackson
William Hartley
Mary Ellen Pears
Millicent White
Jessie Fitzpatrick
Ellen Thompson
Eva Denny
Hilda Carter
Ada Proctor Johnson

I only had a couple of hours in the library today, so I am still on the school records and birth entries in the local paper case.

Thanks
Jane

Pamela

Pamela Report 9 May 2012 07:58

Hi Jane Thanks very much for finding electorol that is very interesting I wonder if this was some kind of care home as it is the address given as place of death ? Be back in touch soon Thanks again Pam

Jane

Jane Report 9 May 2012 08:37

Hi Pam

I checked this address on the 1911 census and it appears to be a workhouse. I wasn't expecting that many people at the address. I thought it may have been a care home too, so I checked back.

Jane

Pamela

Pamela Report 9 May 2012 15:17

That is very interesting about the Workhouse wonder why she was in there need to find out more about that may be was used as hospital of some kind as well as workhouse
some individual bits about some of the children Thomas was born on 15th nov 1891 at Back Street Dalton
Nora was born on 5th April 1907
Albert was born on 17th January 1901
Emma Stow was buried in St Mary Dalton in Furness death age 6 months Buried on 19th Decemeber 1908
I would like to see if William Stow is buried with his wife near by Ellen Augustus Stow died on 15th August 1929 at 27 Stanley Street Ulverston Her home address is given as 131 Market Street Dalton Her Daugter Margaret registered the death aand she lived near by in Barrow in Furness I cant thank you enough for all the work you have done for me I hope to visit the area in June while on holiday in Blackpool and if there are graves i will come over and photograph them Kind regards Pam