Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PRISON

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Olive

Olive Report 14 May 2012 20:57

I am trying to find information on my grandmother who died in prison in 1970 any ideas
thanks olive

Mike *

Mike * Report 14 May 2012 20:58

Not much we can do without a name.

Gee

Gee Report 14 May 2012 21:00

Hmmm

Olive, not the sort of thing that should be posted for such recent times

You could try amending your first post to reflect what you want to find out....from the past, I suspect?

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 14 May 2012 21:13

I suppose it depends on what you want to find out about her too.

I doubt that we would be able to help you with the sort of records we can access between us all.

If you are looking for the sort of info you can find on her death cert you should start there.

Anything else, depending on what she was in prison for and relatives are unable to assist, you might be able to find by Googling or else you might need to consider newspapers local to the area where the crime or conviction took place.

If you want to use her for a springboard to trace your tree, come back and post but leave out the prison bit. And why I suggest that is for any family members who come looking on here and have a shock. It might be something they would rather keep quiet about.

Good hunting. J

cupcakes

cupcakes Report 25 May 2012 21:52

something I would not put out there for all to see if it was my grandmother....must have been not in her right mind?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 May 2012 21:52

Olive, you have revealed to much! As said by Jill:

'If you want to use her for a springboard to trace your tree, come back and post but leave out the prison bit. And why I suggest that is for any family members who come looking on here and have a shock. It might be something they would rather keep quiet about. '

Just check local papers for the time, such a case was bound to be reported. It might have been in national papers also. It would have happened well before 1970 presumably.

Jan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2012 22:00

As the others have said, you have revealed far too much!

I would suggest that you buy her death certificate, if you do not already have it.

That will tell you how old she was, and what she died of.

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 May 2012 22:54

Oh dear Susanne

No idea why you think your opinion is better than other members.

If you are going to make comments such as "All the bossy boots have started again" etc etc then you think very little of the helpers on the boards.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 May 2012 22:54

Susanne, all you have done is disguise who has reported the posting and why. You might not agree with me, but I did own up and try to explain as best i could. I was not having a go at Olive. I felt it was too personal to other relatives to put on here - if we knew all of them were OK about it, so be it, but we don't!
I shall PM her to explain.I shall not report your posting as abusive though it does border on it a little.
Jan

Andrew

Andrew Report 25 May 2012 23:42

A google search for the name shows a file at the National Archives from 1945. A search of the newspaper records would probably turn up more.

Andy

cupcakes

cupcakes Report 25 May 2012 23:52

Susanne...yes but only I would be looking for it!

and maybe you DIDN"T SEE what was in Olive's opening post?

before she edited it?

Gee

Gee Report 26 May 2012 06:51

Susanne

There are no moderators on this board and its left down to the members to differentiate what is appropriate and what is not

I don’t know what was said after the original post as it's been RRd, before I got to read it! However the first ‘has’ been modified, so I guess Olive realised that there was too much info

If you are a regular helper on here, you would understand why Jan and others have shown concern about this post

'How dare you' (your words)...............butt in, with no help, no advice for Olive, just abusive comments to people who always try and help others

PS: Have you got any constructive advice for Olive?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 26 May 2012 07:11

Susanne, you would do well to read the extensive GR rules about posting. You will see that many of your "gripes" about the "bossy boots" are actually embedded in these. I can't comment about anything that has been reviewed, not Olive's original post or Jan's as they had both gone before I read this.

All I know is that regular helpers on here try hard to offer their own time and resources on an amateur basis. When there are duplicate posts it is not helpful because nobody can see the information that might have already been gathered.

Genealogy is fun but it's a fine line to tread - even when the subject has died - between informing and distressing those who may still be living. For instance I have found children from a first marriage whose mother died when they were very young. I guess their father had to give them up to someone and when he remarried they were never mentioned. They and their offspring are all still living. What if they didn't know they had half-siblings?

Jude

Gee

Gee Report 26 May 2012 07:27

And there was a thread the other week where a poster wrote all about her father and her half siblings (who knew nothing of her as she had been born out of an affair)

..........a couple of posts later

'I am the daughter of XXX' :-0

Now, the father was long dead, but the family were very much alive and kicking. Can you imagine reading that and knowing the whole world could read about your fathers affair..something you, yourself knew nothing about and what about the poor mother/wife?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2012 07:33

just for information ...............

Olive did provide the full name of her grandmother, AND the crime she had committed ................ the information would have been EXTREMELY hurtful for any family member to see spread on the internet.

sylvia

Olive

Olive Report 26 May 2012 10:05

Thank you for all your reply but i am trying to find as much information as possible about my family, i do not see how this was to much information as some of you have mentioned it is on the death certificates and also when you are looking in to your past i think you must expect to find things you you dont know, i was not expecting to find this information in my family but it happened and i would like to know why it happened. thanks for all your concerns

Olive

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 May 2012 10:22

Hi Olive.
I sent you a PM last night but you do not seem to have seen it. So here is what I said. It's a hard line to draw, and I am really not criticising, just a bit concerned. Do note that, as I say, if Genes think I am wrong they will restore what you have put.

'Hello Olive.
I am 'Brummiejan' from the boards.
I have made a couple of replies on your thread, and have to ask you to excuse my requesting a review of your posting which gave a lot of detail about your grandmother. I am not having a go, but you might not realise the threads are accessible on the internet generally, not just on Genes site.
I was just concerned that other family members who know nothing about it, or want it kept quiet, might come across it. If Genes disagree it will be re-instated.
I posted a message explaining all this, but another member has had it removed! I felt it only polite to explain myself!
jan'

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 May 2012 10:45

Olive - C&Ping parts of previous post to bring the suggestions into one place

A google search for the name shows a file at the National Archives from 1945. A search of the newspaper records would probably turn up more.

Andy

Just check local papers for the time, such a case was bound to be reported. It might have been in national papers also. It would have happened well before 1970 presumably.

Jan

GR has links to the British Newspaper Archives. Depending on the original event, articles about your grandmother to 1949 may be listed.

The 'Source' site for the above is
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

(no idea of the date coverage)

The nearest large library/family history centre/archive to her home town may hold back copies of local papers, or you could internet search for local papers to see if there are archive results on line.

Olive

Olive Report 26 May 2012 11:04

i replied today, but surely it for a member of my family or any one else searching my tree if they have concerns to report it, not anybody else if this is the attitude of people that i am asking for help then this site is a waste of time. as i said before if people dont want to know about their past then they should not research it. Thank you all.

Olive

Olive Report 26 May 2012 11:08

Thank you +++DetEcTive+++ yes the year was 1945