Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Diamond surname glasgow pre 1929

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lia

Lia Report 28 Jan 2018 11:07

Hi all

My nana has dementia and I'm trying so hard to fill in her history but I'm stuck as I'm struggling to get information that's accurate from her. I'd like to try and discuss her family but she co Stanley tells me it's all hush hush. I think this is her hiding that she can't remember. Dementia patients tend to find a way around. Her father was William Diamond and her mother was Agnes. I'd like to find out all children born to these (nanas siblings) but Scotland records are hard to find. Any help is appreciated please?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2018 11:19

Agnes who?

If you can find both their year & place of marriage references as well as the year & place of your Nanas birth, you’re more likely to identify potential siblings.

Who were the witnesses at her own marriage? If not her parents, have you worked out how they were related?

What about her parents death certificates? Who registered those?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jan 2018 11:23

Scottish BMD,s are only on Scotlands People website .They havnt,t been released to to other websites

its not a sub sites but pay to view , You have to purchase unis but they are quite reasonable

up to about 1910 you can use units to see the actual record . after then you can buy the certs through them .Think they are still £10

when was she born?

Edit
looking at Scotlands people they seem to open by buying credits up to c1940 now

what is your nans name?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2018 11:31

.???

Marriage
DIAMOND, WILLIAM
MCMULLEN, AGNES
644/11 15 (reference)
Anderston (reg district)

Using Scotland’s People & parameters Anderston 1924-1934, there are 3 potential births. 2 in 1924, one of whom was named William & a girl named after her mother in 1927.

Added - as SP birth indexes don’t give Mothers Maiden name, you do have to purchase the certs to see if they are relevant.
We had mentioned on your previous thread about Scotland’sPeople for Scottish BM&D.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2018 11:41

As an experiment, I’d pretended to purchase the 1927 certificate.
The automatic response was that there is a 100 year closure for births & that the posted cert would cost £12.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2018 11:45

There is another marriage between a William Diamond & Agnes
[edit - as per PM, probably not this one]
DIAMOND
WILLIAM MCCUTCH
ANDERSON
AGNES
578/1 3
Ayr

You really need to find your Nanas birth reg & order the certificate for her mmn

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Jan 2018 21:27

If you are certain that your Nana's family were from Glasgow there is a possible death of an Agnes (Nancy) Diamond, mother's maiden surname MCMullen, aged 82 years registered in Cumbernauld in 2010. Other surname MacDougall.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jan 2018 10:25

PM from Mariposa (slightly edited)

My nanas Mother was Agnes McMullen

I dont know how i can find both their year and place of marriage references but my nana was born in Blythswood, Glasgow on (in)1929 as Edwina McMullen Diamond. She married into the Manclarks, divorced and then married into Weir.

Who were the witnesses at her own marriage? No idea, she cannot tell me anything
What about her parents death certificates? Who registered those? she has no memory of it and my nana was estranged for a chunk of our life so none of the family have any answers for me which is making me more determined to search.

Marriage
DIAMOND, WILLIAM
MCMULLEN, AGNES
644/11 15 (reference)
Anderston (reg district)

This looks right!!!

My nana is called Edwina McMullen Diamond so this looks perfect. She was estranged from her family due to leaving her first husband and her children. I think she was cast aside by them so she didnt have much to do with them and she seems to tell me its all secret which could be true but also could be because shes hiding the fact that she cant remember.

Using Scotland’s People & parameters Anderston 1924-1934, there are 3 potential births. 2 in 1924, one of whom was named William & a girl named after her mother in 1927.
Nana has 3 siblings :
Agnes-Nancy,
Margaret &
May.
Again, she cant tell me DOB's or anything much about them.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jan 2018 11:02

Your Nana's birth was registered in Blythswood.
Her marriages were 1948 in Blythswood & 1954 in Bridgeton
Both are reg districts in Glasgow

(SP seems to have gone off-line)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jan 2018 11:25

SP's online, but has been working very slowly yesterday and today, at least on my computer.

Mariposa -

can your Nana say if her sisters are/were older or younger than her?

There's a Margaret born 1924 in Bridgeton

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jan 2018 11:27

The only result for May to 1950 seems to be a Maisie Murray Diamond 1930 in Stirling. Somehow that doesn't seem right.

There are several Margaret's born in Glasgow which might fit the bill.

Would it be worth buying William & Agnes' MC? As that would give their mother's maiden name, it might help if one of their daughter's carried that as a second name. It would also help you get back to the 1911 census (only on Scotlandspeople) or even 1901 census which is transcribed on other sites. The Cert would give William & Agnes' declared ages.

Although family may have witnessed your Nana's first marriage to give us a lead, its debatable if one of her sisters attended the second.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jan 2018 11:32

Glad you're around ArgyllGran!
When replying by PM asking for replies to be posted on the thread, I'd extolled your skills and virtues :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jan 2018 11:32

May is probably a diminutive or pet name.

My mother was Mary, but always known as May.

Unfortunately there are several Mary Diamond births - and of course Mary might not be her name.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 Jan 2018 11:59

Last night I posted a probable death for the poster's Nana's sister Agnes.

Like ArgyllGran, I was having problems accessing the Scotlandspeople website.

Lia

Lia Report 29 Jan 2018 12:06

Hi all, Thank you for trying to help mne, i really do appreciate your help.

Margaret was the youngest apparently.

William Diamond married Agnes McMullen and had 4 girls (as far as i know)

Agnes Nancy Diamond 1927 - 2010
Edwina McMullen Diamond 1929 - present
May Lennon Diamond 1936 - (died when i was younger but dont know when)
Margaret (born after 1936 assuming my research is correct)

Now i have found out Margaret had several husbands

Malcolm M Morrison - had 2 kids - Wendy and Edward
Francis H Taylor - had a daughter Nicola
William Barclay (not sure they married but they have 2 children Will & Angela)
Keith Williams (married in Birmingham apparently) had a son Steven.

I found this out using Facebook, attempted to talk to great cousins etc but no use :(

May was indeed Mary Lennon Diamond

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 Jan 2018 12:17

Scotlandspeople website seems to be down again. Will try to follow up your information later.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jan 2018 12:24

Picking up on Rootgatherer's likely death

This could have been Agnes (known as Nancy) marriage

DIAMOND
AGNES
MACDOUGALL
ARCHIBALD CAMER
644/2 140
Bridgeton

Her birth
DIAMOND
AGNES
F
644/11 462
Anderston

You seem to be doing quite well yourself!
As you've found various relatives on facebook, could you look for their addresses on the electoral roll? 192.com is up to date, although it has been possible to 'opt out' of the commercial roll since 2002.
Those of us with Findmypast would be happy to have a look on their similar data base if you know their current surnames.
There's also the BT online phone book, although we do recommend you always write rather than phone. That way you can explain why you're contacting them (the dementia) and are more likely to get a response.
https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/person/
http://www.192.com/

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 Jan 2018 12:26

If you search here

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/overview.aspx?st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=Margaret+Diamond&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=1930&dt=&di=y

You will see Margaret's divorce from Mr. Morrison

Not sure the Margaret who married Francis Taylor is your Margaret though as she was also known by the surname Memsa.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jan 2018 12:28

You can find out Margaret's DOB from one of her marriage certs.

Her first marriage, to Malcolm, was in 1961 in Blythswood district of Glasgow.

The marriage to Francis was 1969, Glasgow. (If it's hers)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jan 2018 12:31

SP's still working, but it's very slow, and sometimes puts up error messages, or little "stop" signs.
You need patience - accept the error message, then immediately try your search again, which works.
Or if it's the "stop" sign, wait until it disappears, then try again.