Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please .......

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Jun 2007 23:05

I'm trying to trace the parents of John Gavin. I thought i'd got somewhere... I know he married an Elizabeth Duffy so with help on here managed to send off for a marrige cert. In the meantime got house hold records saying his father was called Francis Gavin. All the info seemed right, born in Ireland, moved to Liverpool, and had the correct brothers and sisters, but when the marriage cert came back it say's that Patrick Gavin is his father. Can somebody please shed some light on this for me please. Thank you.

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Jun 2007 23:33

He had a son called John Gavin aswell who was born in 1899 if this helps. I think this was when he died because Elizabeth married a patrick Uriell a year later.

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Jun 2007 23:34

The info i have on Francis Gavin is born 1841 in Ireland, moved to Liverpool, Addison st 16 court 2 house.

June

June Report 17 Jun 2007 23:36

Marriages Jun 1885 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Duffey Elizabeth Liverpool 8b 319 Gavin John Liverpool 8b 319 this is the marriage so what dob and place of birth for John June x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2007 23:37

What was his mother's maiden name? There are umpteen Patrick Gavin marriages in the timescale! OC

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Jun 2007 23:38

John was born in Liverpool, c1861. Thanks June x

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Jun 2007 23:49

I don't know. i thought that it would say on marriage cert but it doesn't.

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Jun 2007 23:55

Thanks June. Could you find out when he died? I want to find out where Francis Gavin came into the equation. x

June

June Report 17 Jun 2007 23:55

1871 census Name: John Gavin Age: 9 Estimated birth year: abt 1862 Relation: Son Father's name: Patrick Gender: Male Where born: Liverpool Civil parish: Liverpool Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints Town: Liverpool County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Liverpool Sub-registration district: St Martin ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 170 Household Members: Name Age John Gavin 9 Margret Gavin 14 Patrick Gavin 50 Ireland /Labourer/ Married June x

June

June Report 18 Jun 2007 00:01

1881 census Name: Francis Gavin Age: 40 Estimated birth year: abt 1841 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Ireland Civil parish: Liverpool County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Addison St 16 Court 2 House Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Dock Labourer Registration district: Liverpool Sub-registration district: Dale Street ED, institution, or vessel: 6 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ann Gavin 18 Bridget Gavin 16 Francis Gavin 40 John Gavin 20 Mary Gavin 44 Mary A. Gavin 14 Michael Gavin 22 is this John that you have ? June x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Jun 2007 00:09

Joanna Sorry - of course you don't know the mother's maiden name, doh. Found this marriage Francis Gavin to Mary McAnalley, 1857, St Anne's, Liverpool. Does this couple have a son John in 1861? OC

Joanna

Joanna Report 18 Jun 2007 00:12

Hi OC, yes John Gavin was born c1861.

Joanna

Joanna Report 18 Jun 2007 00:15

Thanks OC. It must be Patrick then that's the father. I don't know about the other son you mentioned.

Joanna

Joanna Report 18 Jun 2007 00:15

Hi June, that's the 1 i have. x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Jun 2007 00:17

From Lancsbmd John Gavin, born 1861, Oldham, mmn McAnee (which could easily be a mistran of McAnalley) Another son, James Patrick born 1865, same place, same mmn. So, do Francis and Mary have a son called James Patrick as well, on the 1871? If your John Gavin was DEFINITELY born in Liverpool, then his father isnt Francis. OC

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Jun 2007 00:35

Wait a minute though - you don't know where he was born, as you don't have his BC. There are a number of John Gavins born between 1850 and 1852 - none of them in Liverpool. Can you see a naming pattern in any of YOUR John Gavin's children? OC

Joanna

Joanna Report 18 Jun 2007 00:43

My husband's nan thought he was born in Ireland...it's her that wants to find this out.... the name that get's passed down is John Gavin. The one i'm definate about is John Gavin born 24/02/1899. Parents John Gavin/Elizabeth Duffy - this is the John she thought was born in Ireland but it say's on records he was born in Liverpool. I've found out that Catherine Gavin sister of John Gavin 1899 1st child was called Patrick.

Joanna

Joanna Report 18 Jun 2007 00:46

Elizabeth Duffy then went on to marry a Patrick Uriell in Liverpool.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Jun 2007 00:54

At the moment I can't think of any way you can go back with certainty on this one. I will have to sleep on it! OC

Joanna

Joanna Report 18 Jun 2007 00:55

ok OC. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your help and have a nice sleep. Sweet dreams.