Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 and 1871 London Lookups please?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 22:08

Can anyone please do a couple of lookups for me on the 1861 and 1871 London Census? Henry G Roper birth abt 1829 Dorset Kezia Roper birth abt 1825 Berkshire Others in house would be helpful as well please, not sure if they were living together as he was a butler and could have been anywhere. Many thanks Tina

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Feb 2007 22:18

1871 possible Name: Kezia Roper Age: 44 Estimated birth year: abt 1827 Relation: Head Gender: Female Where born: Windsor, Berkshire, England Civil parish: Chelsea Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviour County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Chelsea Sub-registration district: Chelsea, North-East ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 120 Household Members: Name Age Alma Roper 5 Edwin E Roper 11 Ellen K Roper 17 Henry C Roper 15 Kezia Roper 44 Thomas A Roper 13 Walter Roper 7 William J Roper 19 All children born Chelsea

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 22:22

Thanks Glitter Baby, that seems to be her. When I looked on Ancestry there is an entry for him living in London as well. I need to see if she has got a husband living with her on the 1861 and also where he is living please on 1861 and 71, if you have enough time to look for me? Cheers T

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 22:35

Hi Brenda Yep that is the one I think, it seems to fit in with my theories at the moment, but I would like to find where they both were on 1861 and him on 71 to see if they were definitely married to each other. T

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 22:49

OOh thanks Margaret, that's him. Do you have access to the 1851 or 1861 for London? I don't have them living together at all but there is never a husband living with her, so it looks promising that she was his wife and not one of the others on the list for the marriage. It's getting so exciting putting the bits together, lot's of skeletons in the cupboard...I think!!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2007 22:52

Henry in 1871? 30 Rutlands Gardens, Westminster John Cole, head, 81, private gentleman, born St. James, London Martha, wife, 68, born St. James Mary A. Macartam?, visitor, widow, 68, independant, born St. James Henry G. Roper, 42, married, butler, born Weymouth, Dorset Etc, etc, many servants, cooks, maids valets

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 22:59

Thanks Maureen Is Kezia still in London with the children? T

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Feb 2007 22:59

Henry is not showing with the Cole family in 1861 Maureen

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 23:02

That one isn't him, but it does get a bit confusing as there are 2 Henry Ropers born in Dorset that are butlers! I think that one is the Henry E Roper and mine is the Henry G Roper the G is Griffith/sometimes Griffiths

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Feb 2007 23:05

Switching off for a short time as need a break Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Feb 2007 23:06

1861 I keep coming back to this one but age is way out Name: Henry Roper Age: 42 Estimated birth year: abt 1819 Relation: Servant Gender: Male Where born: Dorchester, Dorset, England Civil parish: Broadway County/Island: Dorset Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Weymouth Sub-registration district: Upway ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 98 Household Members: Name Age Hannah Dorey 28 Sarah Dorey 2 Ann Gillard 65 Lawrence Gillard 68 Richard Gillard 24 **Sarah Hansford 38 **Elizabeth Roper 22 **Henry Roper 42 Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 1348; Folio: 34; Page: 19; GSU roll: 542799 Updated Only the three marked ** are in same household. All living at the Rectory and all servants and listed as unmarried Henry is listed as footman

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 23:15

Many thanks Maureen for your help, it's much appreciated. Tina

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2007 23:19

I'm having no luck with 1851 and 61, but did you see Kezia in 1881? She's now got 10 children so he's not far away. Margaret Oops, no, guess some of them are grandchildren, just not labelled properly.

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 23:21

Hello again Margaret many thanks for looking for me. Yes I have seen the 1881, she has 6 of her children living with her by the look of it. The eldest William John is married and the only other married one is Mary Anne so I think the 3 youngest are their children as Kezia is 55 by then. What a bummer that they don't show up on the other censuses as I think there are at least 2 other children maybe more. Richard Henry Griffith Roper seems a likely candidate to me as does Ellen Kezia Roper. I should imagine they were in London in 51 and 61 by the places the children were all born and they married in London as well. If only she were on one of those with Richard Henry Griffith Roper then it would seem a done deal to me and I would go about getting the certficates to prove all. Still heyhoe they will turn up somewhere. Cheers Tina

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 23:24

LOL our thoughts about them being grandchildren crossed in the post....tee hee hee T

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2007 23:25

Tina, on the 1881 there's a butler transcribed as Henry E. but when you look at the original I'm sure it's Henry G. he's working for Charles Carr, a banker. Henry is age 55, born Radipole, Dorset.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2007 23:30

Uh oh, on Familsearch I just found a marriage of Henry Roper and Ann Sherey, 26 May 1848 in Radipole, Dorset. I'm just confusing the issue, aren't I?

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 16 Feb 2007 23:42

No, don't worry, you're not. There is definitely a Henry E as well, it's his fault for confusing the issue..lol I know where Henry G was in 1881 which is where the skull duggery comes into play, it's the bits before that I need sorted out to prove my theory. I have to prove that THE Kezia Roper that keeps coming up is definitely HIS Kezia Roper. This is why if I could find her with Richard Henry Griffith Roper born 1849 I would be happy. Actually having another look at my odd scraps of paper there is a Richard Roper born abt 1849 middlesex as living in Middlesex on the 1861 on Ancestry. Could you possibly have a quick squint at that for me please to see where he is and if it gives any clues as to whether it's the one that I am looking for?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Feb 2007 00:25

1861 Name: Richard Roper Age: 12 Estimated birth year: abt 1849 Relation: Son Father's name: John (Bricklayer) Mother's name: Elizabeth Gender: Male Where born: Spitalfields, Middlesex, England Civil parish: Spitalfields Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Whitechapel Sub-registration district: Spitalfields ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 49 Household Members: Name Age William Gage 61 Henry Holms 29 Eleanor Roper 6 Elizabeth Roper 41 Emm Roper 15 James Roper 10 John Roper 40 Richard Roper 12 Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 266; Folio: 6; Page: 17; GSU roll: 542603. Think I am losing the plot now. Where does Richard fit into this? 1851 same family Name: John Roper Age: 30 Estimated birth year: abt 1821 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Elizabeth Gender: Male Where born: Cripplegate, Middlesex, England Civil parish: St Botolph Bishopsgate County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: East London Sub-registration district: St Botolph ED, institution, or vessel: 2g Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 180 Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Roper 35 Emily Roper 6 Janet R Roper 2 John Roper 30 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1524; Folio: 600; Page: 40; GSU roll: 87858 Maureen

Tina & Ian

Tina & Ian Report 17 Feb 2007 00:38

Hello again Maureen Yes it is a bit confusing isn't it!! I need to make sure that the Kezia Roper that we have is Henry's Kezia and as they can't be found together on any of the censuses but she never has a husband living with her only her children, I was hoping that maybe Richard Henry Griffith Roper may have been the first child as it would be a big coincidence to be born the year after the wedding and not be the son of Henry Griffith Roper. He was born in 1849 and it was just a long shot that the Richard Roper born 1849 and living in middlesex may have been him. Margaret had a look for Kezia on some of the earlier Censuses but wasn't able to find her. If she could be found either on the 51 or 61 and Richard was living with her then it would be good enough reason for me to start getting certificates. Have you seen the thread about the petition yet?