Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census Look-up Please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 3 Oct 2006 18:01

Would someone please do a look up for me for a William Jonathan HAMMOND a tailor by occupation with wife Emma Louisa (ages unknown). The one known child is Marian HAMMOND c1857. Likely places to be living Newington / Bethnal Green. I have just discovered that I had been working in the wrong Hammond tree. Thank you.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Oct 2006 18:22

Is this the right birth details? Births Dec 1857 Hammond Marian Maria Newington 1d 203 Maureen

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 3 Oct 2006 18:25

Yes Glitter, that is right. I have just received the certificate today.

Annieinspain

Annieinspain Report 3 Oct 2006 18:30

1861 Census Mary Ann Hammond Age: 4 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857 Relation: Granddaughter Father's name: William Mother's name: Emma Gender: Female Where born: Grendon, Buckinghamshire, England Civil parish: Grendon Underwood Ecclesiastical parish: Grendon Underwood County/Island: Buckinghamshire Country: England Registration district: Aylesbury Sub-registration district: Haddenham ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 82 Rosetta Gortelow 62 head Wootton, bucks Emma Hammond 25 daughter Grendon, bucks Levinia Elizabeth Hammond 6 Mo granddaughter Grendon, bucks Mary Ann Hammond 4 granddaughter, grendon, bucks Rosannah Hammond 5 granddaughter, grendon bucks William Hammond 31 son-in-law, Brickmaker, Dylesbury, bucks Wm Joseph Hammond 2 grandson Grendon, bucks Annie

Annieinspain

Annieinspain Report 3 Oct 2006 18:31

Forgot to add Rosetta Gortelow 62 head Wootton, bucks - Supported by Parish

Annieinspain

Annieinspain Report 3 Oct 2006 18:33

SORRY i just looked again and noticed you have MARIAN as the daughter. Sorry, my mistake, its late for me, must go to bed LOL Take no notice of me, Annie

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 3 Oct 2006 19:11

Thanks for looking Annie but I don't think that can be the correct family. Marian was born in Newington and I think the family would be found around that area somewhere.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Oct 2006 22:38

Just thought I would check back on this thread and see if any progress. There is this possible marriage for a Marian Maria Hammond Marriages Jun 1876 Camberwell 1d 990 Charles Harris or James Skinner Maureen

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 4 Oct 2006 17:13

Thank you very much Maureen, I do already have the marriage certificate. I now have the names of Marian's parents and am trying to find any census records for the family. I have checked the 1861 and 1881 myself but haven't found them. Probably mis-transcribed somewhere. I am also looking for the marriage reference for Emma Louisa Staples and William Jonathan Hammond. I spent half of last night looking at a variety of combinations but could not find that either! Thank you for trying to help me though.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Oct 2006 19:17

Janie, Where is Marian in 1881-1901? Rose

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 5 Oct 2006 19:35

Cheers Rose, She was married in 1876. It is Hammond family that I want to find. Marian was born 1857 at 3 Gloster Place, Westmorland Road, Newington in the Paris of St Peter Walworth. I haven't even been able to find a marriage cert for her parents. Are you able to help please?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Oct 2006 19:53

Was just trying to see where Marian states she was born or by what name she went by. It would help immensely if you could post the details from the census records you have. Rose

K

K Report 5 Oct 2006 20:03

Is this the parents marriage? Marriages Dec 1854 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hammond William Bethnal Green 1c 515 Morss Elizabeth Bethnal Green 1c 515 Nash Emma Bethnal Green 1c 515 Riley Richard Bethnal Green 1c 515

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 5 Oct 2006 20:03

Thank you Rose. I have the birth, marriage and death certs for Marian. I have her on the 1901 where she is married. On each occasion the name used for her was Marian. In the 1901 census (the only one I have found her on) she gives place of birth as Newington. The birth place is confirmed in the birth certificate (details given above). I think the family are 'hiding' somewhere in the sea of mistranscriptions. Janie

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 5 Oct 2006 20:07

Thank you K, On Marian's birth certificate it gives her parents details as follows: William Jonathan Hammond - occupation tailor. Emma Louisa Hammond formerly Staples. I am therefore looking for the union of William Jonathan Hammond and Emma Louisa Staples. Thank you for looking anyway. It was nice of you.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Oct 2006 21:33

Janie, So what was her surname then in 1901? Who were her children? What was her husband's name? Rose

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 6 Oct 2006 18:05

Hello Rose Thanks. I know where she is on the 1901 census. Her married name was HARRIS but right now I am interested in her before then when she was Marian HAMMOND. It would be nice to find her with the HAMMOND family in the 1861 & 1871 census returns and discover her siblings and a bit more about her parents. I am also interested in finding the marriage reference for her parents which so far I have not been able to do. Many thanks,

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Oct 2006 18:28

Was hoping that the 1901 would have children that could be found in 1891 but no such luck. Mistranscribed as Herris. They are not at the same address in 1891 as in 1901. Back to the drawing board again Maureen

RosieUK

RosieUK Report 6 Oct 2006 18:37

Maureen Yes you have found the HARRIS family in the 1901, they are mistranscribed as HERRIS. Are you saying that you have found THAT family in 1891?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Oct 2006 19:57

Janie, I KNOW you're looking for the marriage of Marian's parents but unless we can find her on a census records we don't have much to work with. If we can find her in 1860 we might discover her parents were in their 40s and perhaps married before civil registration started. That might be one reason for the missing marriage. We need to start forwards and then work backwards. Too bad there are no children older than 10 in the 1901 census. Can you list Charles' occupation on the marriage cert, witnesses and any addresses? There might be more clues there. Rose