Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1821 & 1831 Census lookups offered, Hailsham, East

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 2 Aug 2006 12:21

I have two small booklets, detailing the families living in Hailsham, East sussex, on two very early census returns. A census was taken on 28th May 1821 & 30th May 1831. The names are indexed in the back, so it is very easy for me to look up anyone in particular. Please note that on the 1821, it lists: Name, number of males & females, occupation & number of families in the one abode. 1831: Name, occupation, Age (Head),number of males, females & children in the abode. This must be useful to some of you out there ? Feel free to ask. Regards, Debbie O'

Heather

Heather Report 7 Aug 2006 16:04

Oh wow Debs, sorry to bother you but do you have any Cheal(e), Bonifaces or Verralls there please? (Dont worry if its too much of a blanket question). Many thanks.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 8 Aug 2006 20:02

id love a look up for any packhams or deacons , or monk,.if you get the chance, . if heather positive thinker reads this, i have bonniface and verrals in my side, maybe a link?

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 8 Aug 2006 20:37

MissNell McMillan; Hi, sorry but there are no BAVERSTOCK families or variants in either census booklets. Good luck with your further research. Regards, Debbie O'

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 8 Aug 2006 20:57

Heather Positive Thinker Hi, here is your list from the 1821 Census of Hailsham. Taken on 28th May 1821.The census listed: Head, number of males, number of females, occupation & whether one family or more at the same place. CHEAL(E) No entries in the census list. BONIFACE / BONNYFACE Bonniface Will Males 2 Females 1 Agriculture Families 2 Bonnyface John M 4 F4 Agriculture Family 1 Bonnyface Samuel M5 F 1 Agriculture and King George M 2 F1 Agriculture ( Families 2 ) Bonnyface Thomas M 2 F1 Agriculture F1 VERRAL / VERRALL Verral Will M1 F1 Agriculture F1 Verrall Charles jun. M3 F5 Agriculture ( Fox Hall ) F1 Gouldsmith Joseph M3 F4 Agriculture and Verrall Samuel M1 F1 Agriculture (2 Families ) Hope this is of use to you. 1831 Entries to follow shortly. Regards Debbie O'

Heather

Heather Report 8 Aug 2006 21:09

Oh brilliant Debs, thanks so much, I will copy and paste and sort them at my leisure. I think my dads line must have ruled Sussex!! Fox Hall rings a bell, I think I have them living there later on - woo hoo. Very many thanks indeed. :}}}}

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 8 Aug 2006 21:22

Heather Positive Thinker, Here are your Names from the 1831 Census. Taken on 30th May 1831, Hailsham, East Sussex. CHEAL(E) No families listed in the cenus list. BONIFACE / BONNIFACE Boniface John Labourer Age 21 Males 4 Females 2 Children 1 Boniface - Labourer Age 40 Males 2 Females 1 Children 5 Boniface George Labourer Age 30 Males 1 Females 1 Children 3 Boniface John Labourer Age 30 Males 1 Females 1 Children 5 Bonniface William Labourer Age 35 Males 1 Females 1 Children4 Boniface William Labourer Age 38 Males 2 Females 2 Children 2 Boniface Thomas Labourer Age- Males 1 Females 1 Children 1 Boniface Widow - Age - Males - Females 3 Children 4 VEREL / VERRAL Verel James Labourer Age 30 Males 1 Females 1 Children 4 Verral Charles Labourer Age 44 Males 2 Females 2 Children 4 Verral Samuel Labourer Age 46 Males 1 Females - Children - Hope that's helpful again, Many thanks, Debbie O'

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 8 Aug 2006 21:30

Jennifer Yorkshire Hi, there were no DEACON or MONK families (or variants ), listed in these books. One PECKHAM ... Peckham Ben, Carpenter, Age -, Males 1, Females -, Children -. I am including the only instance of Pagden too, just incase it is a n obscure variant ! PAGDEN Peter, Brewer, Age 20, Males 2, Females 2, Children -. Sorry there wasn't more there for you. Hope it might come in useful. Regards, Debbie O'.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Aug 2006 22:43

Fantastic Debs, at least 2 of those are mine. Ill print them off and check. Now if only you had a little book for Norfolk!! Many many thanks.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 9 Aug 2006 09:42

hi debbie, thank you so much for looking, ill note those names down, ..ty jenny

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 10 Aug 2006 10:13

Heather Positive Thinker Glad to help & get you a result ! Great ! Regards, Debbie O'

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 10 Aug 2006 10:14

Jennifer Yorkshire You're welcome. Thanks for the Thanks ! LoL x Regards, Debbie O'

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 10 Aug 2006 10:45

Leslea from Queensland, Australia. Glad to help. Debbie O'

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 22 Nov 2006 23:50

Theresa in Sussex Hi, here are the PAGE entries for Hailsham in 1821 & 1831... 1821 Census; PAGE John, Males 7, Females 3, Occ: Agriculture, Families 1. PAGE Henry, M 1, F 1, Agriculture ( Marshfoot ), Fam 1. PAGE William, M 2, F 4, Agriculture and GREER Edward, M 1, F 2, Agriculture ( Leap Cross ) Fam 2. PAGE James, M 2, F 2, Agriculture, Fam 1. 1831 Census; PAGE John, Labourer, Age 34 M 1, F 1, Children 3. PAGE Thomas ( Lodger ) Labourer, Age - M 1, F -, Ch - . PAGE John, Labourer, Age - , M 5, F 1, Ch -. Thanks for your interest & good luck. Regards, Debbie O'

Miriam

Miriam Report 23 Nov 2006 10:29

Dear Debbie Just read your very kind offer and wondered if you could check both censuses for the names GOATER and KINGSTON. I'm trying to make links from the South to the North and its like pulling teeth!! Thanks again Best wishes Maria

GinaS

GinaS Report 23 Nov 2006 10:34

Thank you Deborah, UNWIN BEVERTON Appreciate your time. Regards, Georgina

* Report 23 Nov 2006 11:59

Hi Deborah. I have a Francis Mary Phipps who married a William Pope at All Saints,Warbleton,Hailsham 23 Oct 1863. They had a daughter Elizabeth Ann or Sarah Elizabeth who was born in 1864(abt July) and any info' would be much appreciated. Francis' father was James Phipps, would you have any info on him\or his wife from the 1821 census? Regards,Michael

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 23 Nov 2006 12:14

Deborah, Thank you for your kind offer. I am looking for the names George Coote Or Coot and Mary Wade or Wadey. Elizabeth

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 23 Nov 2006 21:36

Theresa in Sussex... You're welcome, seems selfish not to share ! Regards, Debbie O' x

Debbie O

Debbie O Report 23 Nov 2006 21:42

Maria... Hi, sorry neither of those surnames are present in the two census returns. Closest ( if you can call it that ) are: GOWER, GOSDEN or KING families ? Probably of no use though ? Regards, Debbie O'