Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage look ups in Bucks, Somerset/Middlesex Ple

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Mar 2006 23:11

If anyone could look up these couple of marriages for me I'd be ever so grateful: Henry Newman Berkley (also seen as Birkley, Berkeley) b.1851, Yeovil Somerset (parents John Newman Berkley b.1823 & Mary Cogan b.1821) AND Eliza unkown maiden name b.circa 1849, Staplegrove Somerset - Eliza and Henry went on to have Amelia Cogan Berkley b.1874 in Acton, Middlesex Interestingly 2 years after Amelia was born Henry had a child with another woman, Sarah Harper. Most important to me is Eliza's maiden name so I can continue her line! Also: George Hawkes b.circa 1831, Chesham - Amersham Bucks AND Pheobe unknown surname b. circa 1834, Chesham again. - George and Pheobe went on to have several children including Ernest James Hawkes b.1870, Chesham again. As far as I am aware, the Hawkes family lived in Church St in Chesham and there is a possibility of the marriage being at St Mary's Church in Chesham. Thank you for your help! I've hit a total dead end with this one :o(

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Mar 2006 23:17

Ooops thank you I didn't notice it had pushed it all together like that!!

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Mar 2006 23:20

There is this marriage but no Eliza? Marriages Dec 1870 BIRKLEY Henry Newman Kensington 1a 357 Hackett John Kensington 1a 357 Harper Sarah Jane Kensington 1a 357 Murphy Hannah Kensington 1a 357 Could he have married 3 times? Marriages Dec 1880 Birkley Henry Newman Amersham 3a 715 BURCHELL Walter Thomas Amersham 3a 715 Priest Esther Amersham 3a 715 Tilbury Eliza Amersham 3a 715 Marriages Dec 1892 Berkley Henry Newman St.Saviour 1d 167 HAWKES Louie St. Saviour 1d 167 LEWIS Alice St Saviour 1d 167 Turner William Henry St. Saviour 1d 167 Georgina.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Mar 2006 23:20

Eliza's maiden name will be on Amelia's birth cert. nell

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Mar 2006 23:22

Whats the cheapest way to get the birth cert? That's odd... seems a little fishy to me!

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Mar 2006 23:27

Which one is yours? Births Mar 1852 Birkley Henry Newman Yeovil 5c 552 Births Jun 1852 Birkley Henry Newman Yeovil 5c 530 BIRKLEY Henry Newman Yeovil 5c 550 Georgina.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Mar 2006 23:32

Eeek I don't have his birth month!! I haven't found 2 Henrys born on the same year at the same place before :o( All the info I have: born 1851 yeovil somerset, parents John Berkley b.1823 Yeovil and Mary Cogan b.1821staplegrove somerset

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Mar 2006 23:42

Elizabeth there is this Henry in 1871 with wife Sarah, Henry is a Butcher. Henry Berkley abt 1852 Yeovil, Somerset, England Son-in-law Hammersmith London Sarah J Berkley abt 1852 Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Hammersmith London Geo H Briscoe abt 1863 Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire, England Nephew Hammersmith London Martha Briscoe abt 1840 Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire, England Sister Hammersmith London George Field abt 1850 Worcester, Worcestershire, England Lodger Hammersmith London Sarah Harper abt 1825 Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire, England Head Hammersmith London James Hunt abt 1849 Brill, Buckinghamshire, England Lodger Hammersmith London Thomas Lincoln abt 1831 N Lodger Hammersmith London Charles Mead abt 1854 Hirchin, Hertfordshire, England Lodger Hammersmith London Then there is this Henry in 1881 with wife Eliza, I dont know if they are the same. Henry Newman BIRKLEY Head M Male 30 Yeovil, Somerset, England Licensed Victualler Eliza BIRKLEY Wife M Female 33 Chesham, Buckingham, England Allice Jane BIRKLEY Dau Female 9 Shepherds Bush, Middlesex, England Amelia BIRKLEY Dau Female 7 Acton, Middlesex, England Wm. New. BIRKLEY Son Male 5 Wycombe, Buckingham, England Sarah BIRKLEY Dau Female 2 Wycombe, Buckingham, England Mary Jane CRAFT Dau Female 17 Hyde Heath, Buckingham, England General Servant George CRAFT Son Male 19 Hyde Heath, Buckingham, England Yard Servant (Inn Ser) Source Information: Dwelling London Road Census Place Wycombe, Buckingham, England Family History Library Film 1341355 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1465 / 5 Page Number 4 Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Mar 2006 23:46

What is strange with 3 Henry Newman Birkley's births in 1851 I can only see 1 on the 1861 census... Amelia Berkley abt 1856 Yeovil, Somerset, England Daughter Yeovil Somerset Henry Berkley abt 1851 Yeovil, Somerset, England Son Yeovil Somerset John Berkley abt 1850 Staplegrove, Somerset, England Son Yeovil Somerset John N Berkley abt 1823 Yeovil, Somerset, England Head Yeovil Somerset Mary Ann Berkley abt 1821 Staplegrove, Somerset, England Wife Yeovil Somerset Mary J Berkley abt 1847 Yeovil, Somerset, England Daughter Yeovil Somerset William Berkley abt 1848 Yeovil, Somerset, England Son Yeovil Somerset Mary Burnet abt 1835 Staplegrove, Somerset, England Servant Yeovil Somerset Mary Garland abt 1781 Yeovil, Somerset, England Boarder Yeovil Somerset Georgina.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Mar 2006 23:52

Amelia Cogan Berkley b.1874 ... There is a member on here who also has Henry Berkley on his tree but his relation is from when he was married to Sarah. But, that Henry Berkley who married Sarah Had the mother Mary Ann Cogan b.1821which would explain Amelia's middle name (this is common in the family as my aunt carries the middle name of Berkeley being the first born from Eric hawkes, Amelia's son) There is a family rumour that my grandads grandad Berkley was a bit of a ladies man and had several wives... theres some silly story about him losing the family fortune (before I started the research I was told that he had lived in Hundridge Manor in Chesham! I since find this isn't true - although I have been unable to find the manor's records and my grandfather swore he grew up in the manor keep house when his grandad lived in the manor...) - these stories always get exaggerated but I would believe that it would come from somewhere - and having 3 different wives could be that something...

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Mar 2006 23:58

Elizabeth who is your ancestor that you are tracing back from? Georgina.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Mar 2006 00:14

Hmmm I have no idea how I managed to enter the answer to your question after yopu asked it and still get it to appear before you ask... everything to do with this family is determined to confuse me!! my immediate family is bad enough to keep track of as my grand father (25 years older than my grand mother - eric hawkes) adopted my grandmother so she would carry his name when they had children as he could not divorce his ex wife who he already had several children with... So knowing that among everything else I'm at the point where no ridiculous scandal or affair would surprise me

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2006 00:23

in reply to previous question, the cheapest way to get a birth cert is online here and it will cost £7 if you quote the GRO reference. If you have more than one cert and are not sure which is yours, you can specify a checking point when you order. If its the wrong cert the GRO keep £3 for checking fees. if its the right cert you get it sent to you. www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ nell

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Mar 2006 00:29

OK thankyou Helen... but I am going to sound daft now: is the GRO reference the code at the end of the records shown above?

Carrie

Carrie Report 15 Mar 2006 00:30

on FreeBMD Marriages Dec 1855 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HALSEY Mary Amersham 3a 505 >>>HAWKES George Amersham 3a 505 PRIEST Samuel Amersham 3a 505 >>>RANCE Phebe Amersham 3a 505

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Mar 2006 00:36

Oh thank you Carrie! Those guys are easier to understand :o)

Carrie

Carrie Report 15 Mar 2006 00:41

In answer to your question to Helen, Your not daft if you don't know, so always ask :) Ref for George and Pheobe's marriage is: GRO REF, Amersham, Dec 1855, page 3a Vol 505

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Mar 2006 01:03

Yes this is them. Mary ann is the mary ann cogan i have mentioned already... I'm just struggling to make sense of exactly what went on with henrys marriages and if its all him or different people, and if theyre different people (apart from the impressive coincidence) which one is he? :o(

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Mar 2006 01:35

Yes.. that's how I saw it too. It would fit the family story about him being a ladies man. I just like the way he has a different occupation in each census! Maybe he was trying to live several different lives ;o)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Mar 2006 01:52

Marriages Dec 1880 Birkley Henry Newman Amersham 3a 715 BURCHELL Walter Thomas Amersham 3a 715 Priest Esther Amersham 3a 715 Tilbury Eliza Amersham 3a 715 Marriages Dec 1892 Berkley Henry Newman St.Saviour 1d 167 HAWKES Louie St. Saviour 1d 167 LEWIS Alice St Saviour 1d 167 Turner William Henry St. Saviour 1d 167 What I don't understand is, according to my information I already had from the census when Henry and Eliza were married, it stated she was born in Somerset!!