Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I need help with a common name....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Oct 2005 17:24

Ellen Mills was born c1842 in London, Middlesex (according to all the censuses from 1861). She married Joseph Hobson in 1860, in Sheffield. Her father on the cert was John Mills, Labourer. Any ideas how I can track her down, without spending a fortune on certs?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Oct 2005 18:01

Whose children? If you mean Joseph and Ellens, I have them all. I need to find Ellen. I don't know who her mother is, or when her parents married.

Heather

Heather Report 9 Oct 2005 18:10

Her birth cert will give mums maiden name, and addy where she was born, you can then trace the marriage of mum and dad.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2005 18:15

SMILE Tracy :-))))) I'll go and have a snoop round for you chuck ! Although, I hasten to add, that if YOU can't find her then no one can ... Elaine :-)))

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Oct 2005 18:17

lol thanks Elaine. You know something? I can find other people lost rellies, but I can never find my own. Maybe someone else can :) I should add, the one born in St Lukes isn't her.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Oct 2005 18:22

Susan, her first child was born in Sheffield, not London. She didn't move up there until she was getting married (as far as I know).

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 9 Oct 2005 18:25

What about this one Harss Ann Liphd abt 1833 St Lukes, Middlesex, England Visitor St Luke Old Street Middlesex Albert Mills abt 1846 St Lukes, Middlesex, England Son St Luke Old Street Middlesex Ellen Mills abt 1816 Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England Wife St Luke Old Street Middlesex Ellen Mills abt 1844 St Lukes, Middlesex, England Daughter St Luke Old Street Middlesex George Mills abt 1849 St Lukes, Middlesex, England Son St Luke Old Street Middlesex Henry Mills abt 1840 St Lukes, Middlesex, England Son St Luke Old Street Middlesex John Mills abt 1816 Hailsworth, Suffolk, England Head St Luke Old Street Middlesex John Mills abt 1838 City St Botolph Son St Luke Old Street Middlesex Thomas Mills abt 1848 St Lukes, Middlesex, England Son St Luke Old Street Middlesex Waller Mills abt 1850 St Lukes, Middlesex, England Son St Luke Old Street Middlesex It says birth 1844 All the other's have different father;s names this is the only one I can find with John

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2005 18:26

OK, Starting at the bottom and working up : 1861 says she was born 1841, Middlesex. FreeBMD have only TWO listings for Middlesex births, one in 1840 and the other in June 1841. Age on marriage cert ???? I will check out 18837online, (not sure how many credits I have) ... but will check 1840/41/42 .... just to see exactly how many Ellen births there are altogether for you ! Back soon ! Elaine :-)

Jude

Jude Report 9 Oct 2005 18:26

I have just FreeBMD'd Ellen Mills born 1840-1845 London and five possibles come up, Repeat for Mddx still gives three possibles. And as we know FBMD is incomplete. If I am understanding the question correctly Tracy is wondering how to find the right Ellen without buying b.certs. for ALL of these possibles and maybe still not getting the right one? Yes, No, Maybe?

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 9 Oct 2005 18:30

Sorry only just saw You said the one born in St.Luke's isn't her Sorry

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2005 18:30

Have 6 units .... so will check Sept & Dec 1840, March, June, Sept & Dec 1841 ... May help to narrow search down anyway. Elaine :-) Ellen's listed Reading and Maidstone for S 1840 Belper and G Yarmouth for D 1840 Rochdale for M 1841 Notts, Hastings, Steyning, Lambeth, Battle & *WHITECHAPEL* for J 1841 Gilford, Basford & Tunbradge for S 1841 NONE in D 1841 Having thought about it further .... I think if the only Ellen with a Father John in 1851 is the one found further back up the thread ... then I would be inclined to follow that lead. Elaine :-)))

Heather

Heather Report 9 Oct 2005 18:43

Sorry Trace, didnt see who posted - get what you mean now, you cant find her birth either? Has anyone tried the 1851 yet for her? Heather with a very very bad cold

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Oct 2005 18:44

Exactly Jude :) Thanks everyone for your help. Elaine, She's down as 19 on the marriage cert/ Sorry, but hubby is dragging me away for tea so I won't be able to reply for a bit ;) In 1891, she's down as born 1844 in Sheffield for some odd reason.

Heather

Heather Report 9 Oct 2005 18:48

I have found one born 1842 Sheffield? Head is the mother.

Heather

Heather Report 9 Oct 2005 18:50

View Record Ellen Mills abt 1843 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Daughter Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire View Record George Mills abt 1836 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Son Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire View Record Mary Mills abt 1806 Yorkshire, England Head Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire View Record Sarah Mills abt 1846 Manchester Daughter Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire No chance that the one census with her born Middx is a mistake?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Oct 2005 18:59

Elaine, the one born in St Lukes is with her family and unmarried in 1861. Mine is married, in Derbyshire, with her husband in 1861. Heather, in 3/4 censuses, she was born in London. I would think that the Sheffield one is an error. I can't see the one born Whitechapel in 1851. Can anyone else?

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2005 19:00

Hi Tracy, Will leave this for you to find after T Time !!! Witness names on Marriage cert ... and clue's to Mills side ?? She married in 1860 aged 19 ... and the 1861 census say's she was born Middlesex 1841. IF that info is correct: then I would plump for the Whitechapel cert in June 1841 ... using John (Father) as checking ref. If that fails with a result, back to the drawing board. Do ALL the census's give same year and place of birth ... except the Sheffield one ? ... if thats the ONLY different info, then I would discard the Sheffield connection. FreeBMD needs checking for a possible birth in 1844 ...... There don't appear to be any Ellen Mills born in SHEFFIELD 1844 on FreeBMD ... sorry, I can't check 1837online until tomorrow - daughter has accidently gone out with my card in her bag ! Elaine :-)

Jude

Jude Report 9 Oct 2005 19:02

I have just done 1837... 1842b's and found eight Ellen Mills' none of them Mddx or even London, though.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Oct 2005 19:03

This is what I have... 1861 Ellen Hobson abt 1841 London, Middlesex, England Daughter-in-law Hathersage Derbyshire 1871 Ellen Hobson abt 1841 London, Middlesex, England Wife Leeds Yorkshire 1881 Ellen Hobson abt 1843 London, Middlesex, England Wife 13 Lion St, Leeds, Yorkshire, England 1891 Hobson, Ellen abt 1844 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Wife Leeds Yorkshire I think I'll go for that one Elaine and see what happens. might have to wait till next pay day though. Already used up this months quota lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2005 19:10

I'll scour 1851 for any possible mistranscriptions .......... Elaine :-)