Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Help Needed Please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachael

Rachael Report 23 Jul 2005 21:56

If any one could help me it would be fantastic. My Great Grandmother Ann Eliza Donaldson b 1871 Stockton Durham, Then she had my Grandmother who was born 1904 but on her Birth Cert it says Mother - Ann Eliza Malton formerly GAVIN I have looked on Ancestry and found a Annie Gavin who married Thomas Henry Malton ( My Great Grandfather) June Qtr 1894 but i can not find the marriage when she became Gavin and this was before my Great Great Grandfather so must have been between 1885 - 1894 Any help at all with this would be most greatfully recieved Thanks Rachael

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jul 2005 22:04

If she had started life as Donaldson, then became Mrs Gavin and then Mrs Malton, the child's birth cert record for the mother's name should have read: Ann Eliza Malton, Formerly Donaldson, Late Gavin. ''Formerly'' usually refers to the maiden surname. Would it be possible that gavin was a step-father's surname that she might have become known by at some point before she married Mr Malton? Sarah

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jul 2005 22:06

maybe if you got the marriage cert you have found the ref for, things might become clearer? Sarah

Deborah

Deborah Report 23 Jul 2005 22:20

Hi Rachael What document gave you her name as Donaldson? Deborah

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jul 2005 22:28

I would say that from the information on your grandmothers birth certificate, Gavin would be her maiden name. If she'd been married before, it should have all three of her surnames as Sarah says. Kath. x

Suzy

Suzy Report 23 Jul 2005 22:52

Rachael I have checked FamilyRelatives for a marriage between an Ann Donaldson and a Mr Gavin, and there is nothing between 1885 and 1894. With a name like Donaldson, though, you'd better check Scotland. Suzy

Deborah

Deborah Report 23 Jul 2005 23:02

1881 census Thomas DONALDSON Head M Male 38 Ireland Boilermaker At Shipyard Ann DONALDSON Wife M Female 39 Scotland John DONALDSON Son Male 18 Scotland Boilersmith At Shipyard William DONALDSON Son Male 16 Stockton, Durham, England Boilersmith Assistant Thomas DONALDSON Son Male 14 Stockton, Durham, England Boilersmith Assistant Robert H. DONALDSON Son Male 12 Stockton, Durham, England Scholar Ann E. DONALDSON Daur Female 10 Stockton, Durham, England Scholar Margaret DONALDSON Daur Female 7 Stockton, Durham, England Scholar Mary Ann DONALDSON Daur Female 5 Stockton, Durham, England Scholar Arthur DONALDSON Son Male 3 Stockton, Durham, England Scholar Hector Augustine DONALDSON Son Male 1 So Stockton, York, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 15 Barnard St Census Place Thornaby, York, England Family History Library Film 1342171 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 4862 / 83 Page Number 22 Ann Eliza Donaldson Stockton JFM quarter 1871 10 a 127 This is the only Ann/ie I can find matching 1871 Stockton have checked a year each way. I can find no Ann/ie Gavin on Freebmd or 1881 census. The marriage in 1894 was in Beverley (Yorkshire). Deborah

Deborah

Deborah Report 23 Jul 2005 23:04

Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Sarah MALTON Head M Female 41 Beverley, York, England Joiners Wife John MALTON Son U Male 13 Beverley, York, England Errand Boy(Shopkeepers) Sarah MALTON Daur Female 11 Beverley, York, England Scholar Thomas MALTON Son Male 7 Beverley, York, England Scholar Dick MALTON Son Male 5 Beverley, York, England Scholar Elizabeth MALTON Daur Female 2 Beverley, York, England James MALTON Son Male 7 m Beverley, York, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling Minster Terrace Census Place Beverley St Nicholas, York, England Family History Library Film 1342145 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 4742 / 71 Page Number 24 This must be Thomas in 1881 Deborah

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jul 2005 23:26

Have checked 1837online for 1888, 1889 and 1890 for a marriage of an Ann Eliza Donaldson, and there isn't one registered in those years. Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jul 2005 23:49

Is this the marriage to which you refer? If so, there is no indication of a second forename for Annie (not Ann)......... Gavin, Annie 1894 June Marriages Beverley (1837-1937) East Riding of Yorkshire Malton, Thomas Henry Rose

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jul 2005 00:00

Hi Rose, Do you think that Ann could have given her name as 'Ann E.' and the registrar or vicar interpreted that as 'Annie'. If she couldn't read she wouldn't know it had been written down wrongly. Just a thought, really. Kath. x

Rachael

Rachael Report 24 Jul 2005 17:10

Can i firstly say thank you to all who offered their help Deborah ...the census that you show is Ann Eliza Donaldson, in which i refer ,,born in Stockton,,,and Thomas Henry Malton ,,,Beverley, I know she was definatley Donaldson when born as the some of my family members have provided me with photos,and information birth cert and death cert but when they had their Daughter Margaret Lily Malton (my Grandmother ) On the Birth Cert it says Formerly Gavin .under Mothers name of Ann E Malton. i did wonder like some of you if n fact they had spelt her name wrong Annie Gavin on Ancestry but i just search for hours and come up with nothing. The Donaldson family moved to Beverley by 1891, As the mother died in 1890, which is how they must of met. Yes Kathleen and Rose that is the marriage i found but that confused me even more lol Once again any help would be great as im totally confused and have nearly pulled all my hair out Kind Regards to all Rachael

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jul 2005 20:14

I've just come back to this one.........I've been trying to find the couple on 1901, but without success; have they been horribly mistranscribed? Kathleen - a very valid point about the 'Ann E' as spoken; I hadn't thought of that......... Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jul 2005 20:20

1891................. Matton, Dick abt 1875 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Son St Mary Yorkshire Matton, James Uinoth abt 1880 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Son St Mary Yorkshire Matton, John abt 1869 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Son St Mary Yorkshire Matton, Sarah abt 1844 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Head St Mary Yorkshire Matton, Thos Hehry abt 1873 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Son St Mary Yorkshire Living next door............. Matton, John abt 1829 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Head St Mary Yorkshire Matton, Elizabeth abt 1820 Leconfield, Yorkshire, England Wife St Mary Yorkshire Matton, Thomas abt 1841 Leconfield, Yorkshire, England Son St Mary Yorkshire Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jul 2005 20:27

This seems to be some of Ann's family in 1891...........haven't found her yet.............. Donaldson, Arthur abt 1878 Stockton, Durham, England Son St Nicholas Yorkshire Donaldson, Augstine abt 1880 Stockton, Durham, England Son St Nicholas Yorkshire Donaldson, Edwin abt 1883 Stockton, Yorkshire, England Son St Nicholas Yorkshire Donaldson, Mary Ann abt 1876 Stockton, Durham, England Daughter St Nicholas Yorkshire Donaldson, Thos abt 1867 Stockton, Durham, England Son St Nicholas Yorkshire Donaldson, Thos Hy abt 1843 Head St Nicholas Yorkshire Head is a widower - listed as 'deaf'. St Nicholas is in Beverley, which ties in with the marriage Rose

Rachael

Rachael Report 24 Jul 2005 20:45

hiya Rose thanks so much for helping with this, I tried to find her after 1881 and she doesnt seem to come up any where, Rachael

Rachael

Rachael Report 24 Jul 2005 20:52

Rose.. Just re read the information you posted and i think i have made a link hurrayyyyyyyyy,,,now hope you got a coffee as its a long one lol .... After Ann Eliza's Mother Died her Father re married,,,,, Her name was Sarah Malton !!!! now Sarah Malton on here was married to Thomas Malton, who some where dissapears but the information on sarah is excactly the same ,,,so could Ann Eliza have married her step brother which was Thomas Henry ( sarahs Son) And the Thomas Malton living next door could of been her Husband and his parents ???/ Or am i just hoping for too much LOL Rachael

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jul 2005 20:56

1901...........and I see that the birth in 1904 was in Grimsby.............it's all beginning to fit............. Arthur Donaldson abt 1878 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England Son Grimsby Lincolnshire David E Donaldson abt 1882 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England Son Grimsby Lincolnshire Hector A Donaldson abt 1880 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England Son Grimsby Lincolnshire Sarah Donaldson abt 1841 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England Wife Grimsby Lincolnshire Thomas H Donaldson abt 1844 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England Head Grimsby Lincolnshire James A Molton abt 1881 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England Stepson Grimsby Lincolnshire Rose

Rachael

Rachael Report 24 Jul 2005 21:06

Well i'm pleased it started to make sense somewhere, because this has had me so confused, but i owe you a great big THANK YOU, as if not for the information you have given me i would of been bald by now. So with all that ties in Ann Eliza was definatley a Donaldson when born and became a Malton when married in 1894, just have to work out where the Gavin fits in Kind Regards Rachael

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jul 2005 23:44

1871..........Thomas's father was Richard............ Henry James abt 1835 Norwich Boarder Beverley St Martin Yorkshire John Matton abt 1867 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Son Beverley St Martin Yorkshire Richard Matton abt 1842 Leconfield, Yorkshire, England Head Beverley St Martin Yorkshire Sarah Matton abt 1840 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Wife Beverley St Martin Yorkshire Sarah Matton abt 1869 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Daughter Beverley St Martin Yorkshire John W Tacey abt 1852 Goole, Lincolnshire, England Boarder Beverley St Martin Yorkshire A mistranscription again.......... And (presumably) the parents.........gives you Elizabeth's maiden name.......... Robert Arnott abt 1826 Leconfield, Yorkshire, England Brother-in-law Beverley St Martin Yorkshire Elizabeth Malton abt 1820 Leconfield, Yorkshire, England Wife Beverley St Martin Yorkshire John Malton abt 1819 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Head Beverley St Martin Yorkshire Hannah Perry abt 1855 Beeford, Yorkshire, England Servant Beverley St Martin Yorkshire Edward Warcup abt 1828 Hull, Yorkshire, England Boarder Beverley St Martin Yorkshire This is the Thomas who is with John & Elizabeth in 1891 Thomas Malton abt 1841 Lakenfield, Yorkshire, England Lodger Huddersfield Yorkshire Incidentally, he was still 'single' in 1891 Rose Rose