Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

argh! now my husband says he knew there were Irish

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 14:52

aaarrrghh

Irene

Irene Report 1 Jun 2005 15:03

Thought you had fell asleep on the keyboard. Are you unhappy, can we help. Irene

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 1 Jun 2005 15:03

oooo'ekkk nell you ok hun??? lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 15:12

Oh sobsobsob! Why did I ever start this? I am trying to trace husband's family. The Harts & Ledgers aren't too bad, but the Carters - not only do they have a common surname and call all their children common names repeated down the generations, BUT they keep moving! OK, here is the problem. I can't find my husband's great-grandfather's birth. He is CHARLES ALBERT CARTER and on the family tree his mother's cousin did (she's dead so I can't ask her) she states that he was born at Valentine Place, Blackfriars Road, Southwark, 13 Jan 1866. His birthday is in a birthday book as 13 Jan and all census/certs I have tally with this date & year 1866. On the tree, the cousin wrote 'Charles Albert Carter applied for his birth certificate but did not receive it. On 1891 census his birthplace is Islington'. OK. On the 1871 census Charles' birthplace is Southwark (and this is the census nearest his birthdate). On 1881 it says Bow (as in Bromley-by-Bow, East London). On 1901 it says Islington. I DID find a Charles Carter birth in Southwark but the GRO said the mother's maiden name wasn't the right one. Gnashing of teeth! So I thought I would use the Dec birthday and invest on 1837 online. I found a Charles J. born Poplar (near Bow and J could be for Charles' father James - perhaps the Albert came later?) born Dec 1866 and a Charles Edward b. London City Mar 1867. Then I thought I would see where James & ELizabeth Carter (Charles' parents) were in 1861 to see if that gave a clue. Now there are tons of James & Elizabeths, so I thought I would search for their son Richard, who would be aged about 9 - went through all the Richard Carters in London in relevant areas and b****r me, none of them has parents James and Elizabeth. So that's why I said rrrrrrrghhaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghhh hh! nell a

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 15:32

Thanks Sarah. I do know that James Carter was born Holborn (says Hallam on 1881!) c. 1830. Wife Elizabeth was born the same (1871) or Long Acre (1881) or Hoxton (1901)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Their other children 1881 William b 1851/2 Holborn Richard b 1853/4 Clerkenwell Henry b 1864/5 Bow Edward b 1873/4 Islington 1871 Eliza b 1854/5 Clerkenwell James b 1857/8 Clerkenwell Mary A[nn] b 1860/1 no place listed Henry 1869 Southwark Alfred 1870 Mile End Old Town Can't find the blighters on 1861, 1891 and can't find James & Elizabeth on 1901. The words pain and *rse spring to mind! nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 15:48

Sarah That is definitely them, the whatsits! Thank you for that. Don't you find saying aaarrrrrrghhhhhhh is very therapeutic? I think perhaps he was unregistered, which is a nuisance as I don't know where the info about his being born at Valentine Place comes from and I can't find that they were living there at the time of a census. Growl. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 15:49

Sarah Do yu have an address for the 1871?? nell

Jane

Jane Report 1 Jun 2005 15:52

Nell. I've just looked at the 1871(and expect this where you have looked too) Mary A. born Southwark and Charles also. It's Alfred b.Mile End.....I'm going to look around elsewher now.. Jane P.S have e-miled the Cemetary team for E. Finchley Thanks again

The Bag

The Bag Report 1 Jun 2005 15:57

S'cuse me, being picky...you haven't spelled it right the 2nd time!! Thought you were throwing up!! Jess xx

The Bag

The Bag Report 1 Jun 2005 16:04

Sarah - i will if you'll tell me where your Mitchells hid out in days of old- not of the Berkshire lot were they? jess x

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 16:05

And my husband thinks I'M mad!!!! Seriously, folks, very grateful for all your help. nell

Irene

Irene Report 1 Jun 2005 16:11

Hi there just to say if someone lives in Bow it does not always mean Bromley by Bow, I lived at Mile End (East End of London) and that was known as Bow and my address was Bow E.3. Wish you luck with finding your family. I often wonder why we put ourselves through this but a great feeling when we do find them. Regards Irene

Fiona

Fiona Report 1 Jun 2005 16:15

Do these forenames and ages match for 1861 or is it just me?? 1861 England Census Eliza Mc Carthy abt 1854 St Andrews, Middlesex, England Daughter Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey Elizabeth Mc Carthy abt 1830 Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England Wife Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey Emily Mc Carthy abt 1849 Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England Daughter Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey James Mc Carthy abt 1830 Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England Head Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey James Mc Carthy abt 1857 Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England Son Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey Mary A Mc Carthy abt 1859 Southwark, Surrey, England Daughter Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey Richard Mc Carthy abt 1852 Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England Son Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey William Mc Carthy abt 1850 St Andrews, Middlesex, England Son Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey

The Bag

The Bag Report 1 Jun 2005 16:27

Nell, please accept my humblest appologies for butting in on your thread. have had a look , can't see them either.Poo. Jess Sarah - who you calling a berk?- my mother abjectly HATED that terminology!

Fiona

Fiona Report 1 Jun 2005 16:28

Think they've taken Nell away!!! Can anyone else tell me if the forenames and ages I found in 1861 might just be a coincidence?

Fiona

Fiona Report 1 Jun 2005 16:30

Hi Sarah, you think so too? Either the Enumorator got it badly wrong or they changed their name! Nell do you have birth certificates for any of the family born before 1861? Could be why they couldn't find one, looking for wrong name.

The Bag

The Bag Report 1 Jun 2005 16:36

Mother used to tell me off if I called someone a 'Berk'.Having now discovered my fathers family all originated in Berks ...Oh heck. Sorry, some people are still trying to help poor Nell.some of us are just being trying. I'll bog off now jess xx

Fiona

Fiona Report 1 Jun 2005 17:11

Nell, are you still with us? Was just wondering what you think?

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 17:26

Hi everyone !!! Just a quick little word for Fiona ... and of course our Nell ... it may NOT be appropriate on this occassion, but .. in 1901 census, I was desperately searching for my Shawcross's, hours, days, weeks, months, years ! and Sue Smith comes along and finds them !! at (believe it or not) the address they should have been at ... the same addy that had been checked several times ... BUT they are under the name SCOTT not Shawcross. We had all been looking for the surname of Shawcross ... but Sue checked the Forenames as well ... and YES .. I can 1000% say the family of Scott's that she found ARE my family ... so YES Fiona, I think its VERY possible that the family you have found in 1861 COULD be Nell's ! GOOD LUCK ! Dancer x

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2005 17:31

Sorry, I went to have a cup of tea and couldn't believe how long this thread has gone in my absence. If I'd put 'Charles Carter - can't find a birth' as my thread title, I wouldn't have got the same response as aaarrrghhhh! I am sure! Fiona I can see why you suggested McCarthy - but as far as I know there was no Emily in the family. Maybe she died. It is a great pain having all these common names and chopping and changing place of birth every other census! James is described as a cooper on his son Charles' marriage cert in 1886, so that is consistent. I am just feeling a bit cautious about adopting this lot, but keeping an open mind. Well done for finding it. Did it have an address? nell