Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Take it how you want!!!!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shan

Shan Report 22 Jul 2004 19:06

Sorry if i offend people, but i need to air my view's. How many people actually read these post's unless it's for a lookup or someone need's a lookup. I bend over backward's to help people out and spend a lot of time doing so, always received with thank's, as a rule i dont nomally give in till ive found what i'm looking for. But ive posted message's with little response hoping to be able to give a little bit more help to those that dont have the resource's, so now i'm going to take time out For awhile till i calm down,because it all seem's as if people are just waiting for someone to post a lookup message ,(oh i'm gonna find that before so and so do'ess), Maybe im wrong but i read all post's and try to help all no matter how small So for all those ive helped and all those who have helped me I THANKYOU, anyone that want's to mail me for help, i will be more than happy to, but I wont be on the board for awhile Regard's to all Shan

Michaela

Michaela Report 22 Jul 2004 19:20

I agree with Leigh. You've helped me and I appreciate it. Only problem with these messages is that you can often end up on here for hours reading them when you only intended to spend half an hour or so - well that's what happens to me anyway.

Ian

Ian Report 22 Jul 2004 19:48

Shan I was told about GR by my son, as a useful hint/suggestion. I tried, and as the 'Success Story' goes, got instant results within a few hours of posting my request. I then set about trying to help others by adding my tuppence worth wherever I could. I read the messages for entertainment and quite often education. Sometimes my replies are pipped at the post by others, but what the heck? Better two replies than none. Sometimes the two replies are complimentary, each adding a bit to the puzzle. Don't loose heart. We all need help. This site is no different from the rest of life - there are good, bad and indifferent people out there, but it seems the majority here are in the 'good' bracket! Don't despair. Ian PS I am saving up loads of lookup requests, but I am just posting them a little at a time so as not to look too greedy!

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 22 Jul 2004 20:02

Hi Shan Keep your chin up luv. I've been on the receiving end of your kindness and so grateful for your time and the trouble and lengths you go to : ) I'm ever so grateful and I always try to help others in re turn. What you need is a big drink , support and good old honest grattitude. After all if it weren't for people like you half of us would get no further than the end of our noses. Much happiness Debi

Nichola

Nichola Report 22 Jul 2004 20:02

I would just like to say that I think people who offer help on GC are brilliant and I probably would have been stuck a long time ago. I spend hours reading offer peoples threads (I do have a life honestly) and I try to give help on the tips board if I can, I just wish that sometimes I could help people more. There are many many people who do appreciate the help they get from GC. Nicky

Shan

Shan Report 22 Jul 2004 20:32

Thankyou to you all, your comment's mean a lot,(I KNOW WHO YOU ARE) LOL just joking thankyou all Shan

Geoff

Geoff Report 22 Jul 2004 23:15

Shan Easy to take this the wrong way - but don't! Stop doing lookups for people - do them for yourself. If someone wants Fred Smith in Rochdale, look it up for *yourself*, treat it as a personal challenge, a puzzle to be solved, something you want to know. Get the pleasure out of finding the result, *not* out of someone thanking you or your finding it first. Don't rush into looking for an answer for everything; most people asking for lookups will still be around later/this afternoon/tomorrow. Have another look in an hour - if no one has answered, then do a lookup (if you feel like it). Genealogy is a hobby, a game; if you were to find out tomorrow that you (or I!) were descended from Charles I or William Shakespeare then so what? The sun will still rise in the morning and set in the evening, whether your finding is right or wrong. Enjoy the journey, don't worry about the destination. "because it all seems as if people are just waiting for someone to post a lookup message ,(oh i'm gonna find that before so and so does)" I used to be like that, it's an urge that passed after a month or two - finding Fred Smith in Rochdale in 1881 became tedious after a while. Do what *you* enjoy for your own enjoyment.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 22 Jul 2004 23:26

Geoff, You couldn't of put it better. If I see a post from someone looking for help and I can help in anyway then I will. But I do it because I want to and enjoy it not because I have to. Shan just think of all the pros, I am almost definate they outweigh the cons. Thats one of the reason I continue to help people. :o)

Linda

Linda Report 22 Jul 2004 23:41

Shan, I for one are indebted to you and many others on this site. I would not have got anywhere without kind people like you. Please reconsider. Linda

Sandra

Sandra Report 23 Jul 2004 08:49

hi shan what a shame you are so upset and angry, i use all the boards on the site and try to read all the threads, but there are so many it is not always possible to have the time. I ask for lookups when i get stuck and need a fresh pair of eyes, after useing the relevant sources available that i know of. I have asked for help a couple of times this week, and had a great response from the team.My tunstall birkbeck line 2 brothers seemed to vanish they wern't here on the 1891 census.i had peoples help and found the marriages, i went to bed and had a restless night, for some reason australia popped into my head. So i looked up a thread about australia and found some tips on sites. Low and behold i have found them in australia. i am medically retired due to a spinal problem, and look after my grandaughter during the week, and for the past month have had my 5 kids descend on me during the weekends, so have had little time, to assist people. A month ago i trapsed through 5 cemetries writing down names from the stones, and i haven't had the time to put them on here yet. But the next 2 weeks i am free to catch up, due to katie's mum being on holiday. I am always grateful for the help i ask for and the tips given, and always say thankyou. and i help in any way possible, if you have been upset by someone, then why not email them directly,you may find that they are sorry for upsetting you.Not everybody is bought up with their p's n q's, or they may have been distracted before saying thankyou, take care happy hunting sandra

Diane

Diane Report 23 Jul 2004 10:01

Shan, I have just caught up with the messages & having looked at all the good advice you give out, I hope you don't disappear. I am fairly new to all this, I have offered to help & you are right, some people do not appreciate the effort that goes into searching but there are definitely more good apples than bad. The records I have are very sparse & not very well presented, but I still feel disappointed when I can't help people. Please don't go, there are obviously loads of other people who appreciate your knowledge & generosity as much as I do. Di

Shan

Shan Report 23 Jul 2004 11:49

Hi all, Thankyou all so much for your kind thought's and comment's on this, mean's a lot to know that there are people who listen and care, so for the majority of you a big THANK'S. All who mailed me i have replied, if i missed anyone then i apologise Shan

John

John Report 23 Jul 2004 17:54

Hi Shan, thanks for all your lookups for me.Don't stop.I haven't replied to your last e-mail because computer got sick(virus),I could,t send e-mails or save anything or print anything out,had to reformatt drive,but am now up and running(well, walking anyway),I am not sure which images I managed to save,but unfortunately all e-mail addresses that I had stored have been wiped clean,so if you drop of this board I wont be able to get in touch. Many thanks, John

John

John Report 23 Jul 2004 19:31

well shan, ive posted lots on most boards and i must be black balled, scotish help and irish help, and im still waitng, if ive done wrong let me know, cant see it , this it not a dig at you shan, some people get help and some dont, keep your chin up, and your good work, john.

chezzy

chezzy Report 23 Jul 2004 22:20

Shan,just read your thread. dnt let things get you down your a valuable part of the genes family..why should you feel uptight..glad you aired your views better out than in my dear..maybe now the people who are upsetting you will realise.enjoy your break/time out..but hurry back soon.xxx

Joy

Joy Report 23 Jul 2004 22:50

This is to Marion as well because I can't find her similar thread. Thank you to both of you for all you do. I do agree with your sentiments ... because I have given help (sometimes thinking hold on surely someone using a computer would know about google searching, but maybe not, so I explain how I found something), but more times than not, I have not received even an acknowledgment. I don't want lots of thank yous, but just a reply to say it's been received would be nice! and I have emailed directly as well as posting message-replies. I wonder sometimes why some people subscribe! There, I feel better now. Joy

Colette

Colette Report 23 Jul 2004 23:16

Shan been there you know it and you helped me through it we have a little community going here and we always know if all else fails someone on here maybe able to help. I have had some diggs at me and i spend hours helping others i am like a dog with a bone wont let go till i get something for that person as i know what its like waiting for news of an ancestor. So dont you feel down Shan keep up the good work and remember your a wombleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Col xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shan

Shan Report 23 Jul 2004 23:36

HI All, i'm nudging this up the board for JOHN W>YORKS GC. read his message to me Thank's all GC peep's luv you load's Shan

Shan

Shan Report 24 Jul 2004 00:20

Hi All, failed to mention, i emailed John direct, told him that Irish record's are hard to come by as a lot were destroyed in the fire, and Scotland do'sent come under the british isle's so he would have a hard time. Just thought i'd give him a chance to ask again to see if there was someone who could help. Thankyou all for your time Shan

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Jul 2004 00:22

Shan If you'd tried just a little bit harder, YOU could have found my Robert Goodman for me.