Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FreeBMD scanned images available

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 28 Jun 2004 19:45

FreeBMD open their images to the public.This is the e-mail i recieved. In order to add to the service that we already provide to the genealogical community, FreeBMD has today made its scanned images of the GRO index (previously available only to transcribers) available to the general public. Prior to this move, viewing the indexes was only possible at libraries or on pay-per-view internet sites. Whilst FreeBMD doesn't yet have a complete set of images, the nearly 700,000 images that we do have represent a good proportion of the indexes from 1837 to 1910, and we hope that people will find the facility useful. The initial interface is sonmewhat crude, but further enhancements to this new area of the site are planned, and we will announce them as they happen. http://images.*freebmd.*org.*uk/cgi/choose.pl

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 28 Jun 2004 20:56

Good old FreeBMD.... they're fab! Chloe

Joy

Joy Report 28 Jun 2004 21:15

Oh dear, I won't have time to go to work! Just go to the home freeBMD page, click on images,and away you go! Joy

Joy

Joy Report 28 Jun 2004 23:13

I don't think it's a case of putting names, though not sure, must have a look again tomorrow. Time for sleep. Let me know if you can see it. I did look earlier and just kept clicking, on M numbers I think, and there was a scanned image of the GRO page, just like looking at the big heavy book in London, and the marriage of Arthur John Breach, Dec qr 1887, Portsea, my first cousin twice removed. Joy

Chris

Chris Report 28 Jun 2004 23:29

Bu**er, I just spent a fortune this afternoon on the 1837 site looking for a death for my Stebbings/Stibbins.Only to find some of the dates I was looking at are on this site. Still didn't find who I was looking for though. Chris

Chris

Chris Report 29 Jun 2004 00:16

Sorry Ruth It was the Devil who made me swear Chris

Kim

Kim Report 29 Jun 2004 08:22

All i get after putting in year and dates and letter is a blank white screen with a little box in the corner with red and blue circle and trinagle HELP please !! what haven't I got>>>> Kim

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jun 2004 09:11

I went on this morning. For me, the pages are opening in Windows Picture & Fax viewer. This is an excellent site, although VERY time consuming. I have checked against the pages that are still missing on FreeBMD and they ARE on this new Images site, so this is very good news for those of us who can't find the entry we are looking for on FreeBMD. Brilliant for those of us with loads of time and little money, well worth hunting till you find the page you want. Still need 1837online for entries after 1910 though. So good to know we now have 3 very good sites, FreeBMD to do the initial search, FreeBMD Images to hunt upto 1910 and then if all that fails 1837online for images after 1910. I think that with all these sites, requests for lookups for Births, Marriages and Deaths should become a thing of the past. I've got them all in my favourites drawer !! Can't go wrong now. Elaine :-)

Kim

Kim Report 29 Jun 2004 09:28

Any computer genius's out there know what I have to do to view the pages , i just get blank page after I have selected and submit query.. it does not tell me anything and I can't get anyfurther or see any images!! Boo hoo. it does not give the option to view in window and fax viewer, just a completely blank page with a little rectangle in the corner with a circle and a triangle in! Please help me !! Kim

Eames

Eames Report 29 Jun 2004 09:33

Great idea from FreeBMD BUT... Not indexed and how do I save it? As it went to quicktime so I cannot zoom in or anything like it.. Anyone know how do I adjust it? T x

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jun 2004 09:39

KIM, I too got 1 blank page whilst I was search, I did New Query and put in the details again, it worked the next time. ..................... I did read the HomePage and it sounds as if they DID expect us to have a few problems ... and it says NOT to contact them with any problems as they can't help us. I imagine, that after a reasonable lenght of time, these little hiccups will be sorted and they will get round to explaining to us how to rectify any probs we have. Anyone any idea WHEN the site come online ?? Elaine :-)

Bob

Bob Report 29 Jun 2004 09:43

I've been using the site today, GREAT !!! I get asked if I want to open the image, or download and save it. I say "save", it saves with the name "choose.tif", I then view it with IRFAN-View, as I can then rotate and enlarge. If I want to keep the image, I then rename it e.g. B1907-1-pageno.tif, M.... or D.... etc, and go after the next one. Much faster than 1837, sometimes the image quality is not so good, but it least you where to look on 1837 then. IRFAN-View is free software, available through Googling, or on various computer-magazine free disks.

Kim

Kim Report 29 Jun 2004 09:52

I have irfanview but I still have no joy! Can you help me Bob? I choose year and month a nd letter and the screen is just blank noerror message nothing... What should I do?? Any help woud be appreciated, as it looks good... Kim

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 Jun 2004 10:12

Any computer techies out there? I go through the whole process of choosing all the options then when I get to the bit where it's about to display the image I get this message Some of the MIME types previously associated with the Quick Time plugin are currently associated with other applications. Should I restore these MIME type associations to Quick Time? My question is should I click on Yes? Jeanette

Bob

Bob Report 29 Jun 2004 10:23

Just tried again. With marriages, as above, but with births I got the image directly, without the download option. maybe this depends on the year. I suspect that my version of Internet Explorer has some kind of plug-in for TIF files, as these are what freeBMD are sending. I'll look into it again later, but perhaps in the meantime, someone else will come up with the answer. p.s. freeBMD says: Images on this site are supplied in a variety of formats (jpg, gif, tif), and you may need to configure your computer to work with these formats. FreeBMD cannot assist with configuring your computer.

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jun 2004 11:07

Hi folks, I have another, different problem with my pc .. so I'm going onto the 'Tips Board' for help ... there are a few folks on there that know alot more about PC's than us !! My PC now doesn't like the 'Back' button .. and tells me my pages are 'expired' even after 10 seconds !! Maybe someone on 'Tips' can help us us with our various probs.. Elaine :-)

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jun 2004 11:56

What an excellent site Steve - saving me a fortune on 1837. Haven't found anyone one yet as It's a bit hit and miss as to whether you get the right page 1st time round - but with a little perseverence I am getting the hang of it.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Jun 2004 12:09

really great site steve! like everyone else im taking ages to find the right page,but no doubt i'll get there in the end lol susie

Bob

Bob Report 29 Jun 2004 12:09

Marion, do you get a download option, with yours. I get it with some images and not with others. If i download, I can then view with IRFANVIEW, and enlarge the image.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 29 Jun 2004 12:23

Hope someone can help me! I'm desperate!! Trying to download the images I got the same message as Jeanette (Some of the MIME types previously associated with Quick Time plugin are currently associated with other applications. Do you want to restore these MIME associations to Quick Time?) I clicked "No" and could see the pages OK. After a couple of times of repeating this for each page I looked at I clicked on "Don't show this page again. However since I did that I can't view any pages even the ones I looked at previously! How do I get the box to appear again? I've tried all ways I could think of in Quick Time.