Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Really Confused!!!! I've got John Joshua Norris M/

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 10:20

Please can any one help me i am so confused, i have been looking up my 4x grandfather

John Joshua Norris born {1827} Bethnal Green.
The thing is i found his Christening Record
John Joshua Norris Christen 02 Nov 1828
St Botolph Bishopsgate London
On this record it has his mother name as Elizabeth!!!

Then on the 1841 census her name is Lydia!!
Please can some one tell me if Lydia is another name for Elizabeth ? thank you kind regards Ann.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Dec 2007 10:30

The census shows the John to which you refer to be 15 in 1841, and 25 in 1851.........making his birth 1825/6

Reg

Janet

Janet Report 4 Dec 2007 10:31

You posted a notice on Records Board 2 December about "What School" for Norris. People tried to help you with some real answers and suggestions, but you have not yet had the courtesy to reply.This is now on page 7 of this Board still unanswered by you.

Janet North London Borders

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 10:36

Yes Reg! John's parents are
Thomas Norris abt 1797 Downton Wiltshire
Elizabeth [ do not no maiden name] on the Christening Record, but like i've said on the 1841 census it's Lydia!! [ do not no her maiden name] kind regards Ann.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Dec 2007 10:36

Thomas and John are both Carpenters in 1851....does this tally with the occupations they give on John's marriage cert?

Reg

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 10:46

Thank you Janet!! sorry never meant to upset you so much, it's only i have just started doing this and it's all new to me!! [will try harder next time!!!!] Ann.

Janet

Janet Report 4 Dec 2007 10:51

Apology accepted Ann!

Janet North London Borders

trinni

trinni Report 4 Dec 2007 11:49

Ann, I had an identical problem that I have recently solved. Different mothers name to the wife in the census. I looked on free BMD and found a death that fell within the time of the birth of the last child and the first 41 census. So I sent for the certificate and bingo, the husband was the informer and the name was right. The different name in 41 was because he had remarried.

I also have another family where the mothers name is just written wrongly by accident. 4 of the children have Anne as a mother and one has Elizabeth, and she fell in the middle. So just an error.

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 12:21

Thank you all for helping me here!
I have checked again on John Joshua Norris 1827
Yes that was his second name [Joshua] as in the 1891 census he was named as Joshua Norris age 64 and living with his Son John age 39 in Kingsland Road Shoreditch. I think he must of started to use the name Joshua instead of John as not to confuse every one in the family. [My God it's confusing me!!]
Many thanks for the help, very kind regards Ann.

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 12:39

Julie i see what you mean now looking on those Christening records i think i will have start at the begining again [ Oh Dear i don't think i am very good at this researching game} thank you all again kind regards Ann.

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 14:23

Thanks Julie you really are helpful kind regards Ann x

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 4 Dec 2007 14:32

Ann, did you see the charity schools in Shoreditch reference I found on your other thread? I hope it is helpful.

Ozi.

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 14:56

Hi Ozi YES thank you! sorry never got back to you in between jobs at the moment [finding time Hey!] but again thank you Ozi kind regards Ann.

trinni

trinni Report 4 Dec 2007 15:04

Ann, with regards to your John Joshua, I thought the christening record ( on the other thread), said that he was christened John Joshua?
IGI: 2 November 1828 father Thomas Mother Elizabeth St Boltoph, Bishopgate London

The John Thomas that Julie found might be a totally different family?

I'm rather a novice here myself, so hope I'm not talking complete nonsence.
Is it possible that the John in the 1841 census with the mother Lydia, is not your John, but in fact John Thomas and that your John is elsewhere?

If your John was John Joshua in later life, I would certainly tend to go with the one that was Christened John Joshua.

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 15:26

Thank you Trinni, i must say i am a complete novice at all this to!!!!! Trinni i do feel so stupid at times but you all have been so helpful to me, but i do feel i am upsetting folk "Janet" has told me off already.
Thank you Trinni and every one you are so kind, very kind regards Ann.

trinni

trinni Report 4 Dec 2007 15:44

Well we all learn from each other and all make mistakes. Your puzzle keeps getting to me.

I found a Thomas and an Elizabeth without any children on the 1841 census in Hornsey parish.

I also found 3 Johns at around the right age, living in various mixed households in London. Its possible that John Joshua was living away from home.

trinni

trinni Report 4 Dec 2007 16:10

Julie what I meant is that the John Joshua Norris parents Thomas and Elizabeth baptised 2 Nov 1828
St Botolphs Bishopgate (IGI)

Is a different family to John Thomas Norris
Parents Thomas and Lydia
baptised 4 Sep 1825 St Stephan Coleman st,(IGI)
I'm not really sure which family Ann thinks hers is.

I suppose if genealogy was straightforward it would not be as much fun. Mine were always changing names too.

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 16:10

thank you yes i have ordered the m/c for john joshua norris so when that comes i will let you know thanks again so very much x i have to sigh of now but will return later!!! thank you again Ann

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 16:24

Oh Julie i hope you did not think i thought you were a novice PLEASE i never thought that Ann x

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2007 16:29

Oh Thank God i thought i had upset you Julie, i hope you are ok and as for the word Novice that and the name Julie do not go together!!!!! Ann x.