Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish GRO index online

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Jan 2009 13:21

The Irish GRO index (with images), covering Ireland thru 1922, then Eire thru 1958, is now available at the LDS pilot site - they're listed under Ireland, not UK.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/#p=0

[I've duplicted my post from Records Office]

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Jan 2009 17:15

Thanks

AndreaFromYorkshire

AndreaFromYorkshire Report 25 Jan 2009 18:00

Many thanks :)

Brian

Brian Report 25 Jan 2009 18:01

Thanks mgnv

Mike

Mike Report 26 Jan 2009 12:15

Thank you

susiwong

susiwong Report 26 Jan 2009 15:23

thank you, just what I need
Susan

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 26 Jan 2009 22:50

AT last......Thanks

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 27 Jan 2009 11:40

WOW...Great success for me.

I found the birth registration of a couple of my Irish aunties and 2 of my cousins who were born in Dublin Ireland. They lived and died in England but I didn't know where exactly they lived in Dublin so this will fill in a few missing gaps for me when I order the certificates.

Wooopppeee!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 27 Jan 2009 11:42

I couldn't find any of my Irish family from Belfast on this Irish GRO Index, wonder why that is?

Betty

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jan 2009 11:53

I've never bought an Irish cert - all my mob were in England by 1864. I note you don't have to buy a b.cert for Euros 10 - you can buy an uncertified photocopy of the register entry for E 6. Also, you can pay by credit card. See:

http://www.groireland.ie/

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Jan 2009 11:53

Betty Boo, are you looking after 1922? The index does not include Northern Ireland after 1922.
Also, I'm getting better results with "Exact, close & partial" (rather than "Exact & close match") because the names of the Registration Districts do not exactly match the available search options for names of places.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 27 Jan 2009 12:15

Hi Sarah,

No I am looking for my grandmother family in Belfast Antrim.

My grandmother Mary Kearney was born 1878 and her sister Catherine in 1880 but I can't find anything. Their parents were Nicholas Kearney and Margaret Kennedy, there were lots of other children too.

Betty

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Jan 2009 12:29

What about these two Betty Boo:

Name: Mary Kearney
Registration district: Belfast
Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1878
Volume: 1
Page: 396

Name: Catherine Kearney
Registration district: Belfast
Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1880
Volume: 1
Page: 248

I only entered the names and Belfast, Antrim, Ireland. And selected "Exact, close and partial" (not "Exact & close match"). Then I narrowed by "event type" and "date" on the results page (click on links at top of page).
The records show up in "Belfast Registration District (Antrim or Down, Ireland)"

Joy

Joy Report 27 Jan 2009 13:01

There is a Mary January - March 1878 registration district Belfast, Betty.

Joy

Joy Report 27 Jan 2009 13:44

Odd, I can't find the marriage for my great-grandparents, yet I have their marriage certificate: Susan McCusker and Joseph Harrison 24th November 1876 Turlough Presbyterian Church, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Jan 2009 13:58

Is this it Joy?

Name: Susan M'Cusker
Registration district: Castlebar
Record type: MARRIAGES
Registration date - quarter and year: 1876
Volume: 19
Page: 57

Try entering the name and place only, and then narrowing by date & event type on the results page. Also try "Exact, close & partial" (rather than "Exact & close match").

Joy

Joy Report 27 Jan 2009 14:00

Nor her parents in 1848 in Clogher.

Joy

Joy Report 27 Jan 2009 14:02

Thank you, Sarah. They missed out the c, that's on the certificate ... :-)
Like to try another?

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Jan 2009 15:35

M' (with apostrophe) is another way of writing Mc. If you search using "exact, close & partial" instead of "exact & close matches" it should help pick up the variations in surnames as well as registration districts/place names.

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 27 Jan 2009 22:01

I found a whole bunch of Herra relatives and duly downloaded each one to my clipboard (which the OH figured out as Windows XP doesn't seem to have it). Then when I checked the clipboard found that only the last one is saved. So back I went and downloaded each one separately and sent it off to a folder in My Documents, only to discover that although the files were each there with the correct name, when I opened them they only contained the info of the last person downloaded! Help - What am I doing wrong? I don't think my computer can take the verbal abuse much longer.