Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Half Price Ancestry

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 30 May 2009 07:59

Ancestry are offering half price membership until the 30th June.

A thought for those who have always said its too dear

essentials £41.70/year*
Normally £83.40

premium £53.70/year*
Normally £107.40

worldwide £77.70/year*
Normally £155.40

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 30 May 2009 08:08

Hi Uzzi,

Thanks great for people who want to join but seems unfair on those who are already member, I am going to write to Ancestry and see what they say especially as the Premium is less that my essentials membership.

Lesley

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 30 May 2009 08:16

Lesley I do agree that it seems unfair on existing members, that often happens with them

Jonesey I had an email through this morning as they have my contact details. I registered with them but I have never paid for a membership so it seems like they are targeting those they know.
I don't know if there is any quick way of getting to the page maybe by just going into to ancestry it will give the reduced prices.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 30 May 2009 08:30

Jonesey that has to be worth a try no doubt they will go for it if they think they are getting a year instead of nothing

Heather

Heather Report 30 May 2009 10:49

Im a member already and Ive received an email about this - I cant make it out, its a different addy to the one Im registered with them.

It does say for "first year of your membership only" but I dare say anyone who is already a member has SOMEONE in the household who would just love a years membership :)

My current membership runs til September. Im trying to work out if Im better off dumping the last few months to buy this offer or not.

Here is the link guys, copy and paste it or type this in your address box

http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/popularmedia/hs1.aspx?landingpage=39234&sssdmh=dm13.204577&o_iid=39191&o_lid=39191

Heather

Heather Report 30 May 2009 11:57

For new members

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 30 May 2009 14:05

http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/popula...91&o_lid=39191

shortened version of what Heather Posi put up

redhotmama

redhotmama Report 30 May 2009 14:13

I have also had an e-mail this morning offering me 1/2 price membership this follows on from a 20% discount they offered me about 2 weeks ago.
My membership lapsed because I was away when it was due for renewal and didn't respond within the given time period.
I did rejoin but they don't seem to have realised this and keep trying to entice me back.
Think I'll wait and see,maybe in another couple of weeks I might get it for free!!!!!!!

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 30 May 2009 14:32

Wow, thanks for this link. My 6 month sub to ancestry essentials (cost 29.95 together with FTM at christmas), runs out in about 4 weeks time. Excellent timing. I shall cancel that sub and start a new one on Premium. If they jib at that because I already have a sub, I will just set myself up a new free email address and use that. I find most of these sites which won't let you take advantage of the new offers if you already subscribe recognise you by your email addy.

However, I think I might just ring them up first and see if I can persuade them to let me continue my existing membership on the new terms (not of course revealing what I plan to do otherwise). It's always worth a try.

Also if one subscribes to Quidco.com (£5 annual membership), you get a 25% discount off Ancestry fees. I am not sure if it is going to be possible to get to the special offer Ancestry page via Quidco, but if it is, it would save a further £13+ from the Premium sub, which more than covers the Quidco sub - enough to spare for another certificate in fact!

If anyone works out how to get both the Quidco discount and the reduced Ancestry sub, please will they let me know.

Tina

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 30 May 2009 15:04

George, I'm surprised that they are saying e-mail only as its also on
moneysavingexpert.com and hotukdeals.com

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 May 2009 15:15

Received the email last night from Ancestry.

My subscription run out in Feb and I was not in a position to renew at that time so have just taken advantage of the offer.

Maureen

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 30 May 2009 15:15

George

Before you try the link provided in this thread, make sure that you are logged out of Ancestry on your computer. If that does not do the trick, turn your computer off and then on again. If that does not work either, you need to clean all the cookies off your system (this does mean that you lose all the log-in details that are automatically filled in when you visit a site you are registered with, but you just have to put them in manually on your next visit to the site and another cookie will be set up). Once your computer stops automatically taking you to your existing account, you should be able to access the page offering the discounts.

Load of rubbish that it is only available to people who get the email. All you need is the address of the offer page. There is nothing on that page to say you can't take up the offer unless you were personally invited. Person at Ancestry does not know what they are talking about!

Tina

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 30 May 2009 15:23

Sudden thought for those of you who, like me, intend to hang on until nearly the end of June before taking up this offer. I have made a note of the address of the special offer page - not just bookmarked this thread. It has occurred to me that GR might take umbrage at us all rushing off to get a cheap deal on Ancestry and decide to wipe this thread out!

George - once you have made it to the offer page you might need to use a different email address. Plenty of free email addresses to be had at hotmail or google. Just to be sure that Ancestry does not recognise you as an existing punter.

Tina

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 30 May 2009 15:38

George I did wonder that and it will pick up the email but I am a registered member and the link didn't log me straight in.

Heather

Heather Report 30 May 2009 15:45

Well I can go to the discount offer page and Im still a member.

If anyone has already had a membership or one about to finish, Id just take out the new offer using another email addy - your OH's or whatever.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 30 May 2009 17:06

For those of you who have tried to get the link through quidco,I found it doesn't work to get the offer.It takes you to the usual site.
I have signed up,having been a member before,but cancelled last year as I didn't think I'd get much more,but it is growing all the time,and as it's my birthday on Tues,I have given myself a present!! Why not??
Thankyou for letting us know the link Uzzi...much appreciated.
Brenda x

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 30 May 2009 17:35

Nicely timed then Brenda ...

Happy Birthday for Tuesday

Julie

Julie Report 30 May 2009 17:43

My Subs are up next month & i wasn't going to re new, so looks like a phone call could be happening

Sharon

Sharon Report 30 May 2009 18:01

hi
ive emailed ancestry and rang them i did not get the email and renewed my subcription yesterday at £83 40 and to say the least im rather cheesed off that people are able to get it half price ill think twice before i renew with ancestry again apparently they send emails out over several days so you might get one yet george
sharon

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 30 May 2009 18:54

I didn't get the e-mail.Just went to the landing.ancestry and opened new account.

good luck everyone...c&p the address given on this thread.

Brenda x