Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cutting and pasting marriages

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 2 Jun 2011 16:57

Hello

Can somone help with cutting and pasting marriages from Ancestry so that I can include other possible spouses. I have tried for the last 10 minutes and had to do it in two separate posts.

Just an observation. I haven't posted a query for a long time. Its not easy. I could not find how to do it until I spotted that little purple thing in the right hand corner. Then is is General Chat or Genealogy Chat. It's about computers but the subject is Genealogy. Still haven't found the guidelines.

Thanks

Vera

Astra

Astra Report 2 Jun 2011 17:09

Not understanding what it is that you are trying to do Vera!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jun 2011 17:10

Once you click to view marriage details you get this, e.g. -- I'll make this one up:

Name: John Smith
Spouse Surname: Jones
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1936
Registration district: Weymouth
Inferred County: Dorset
Volume Number: 10x
Page Number: 1000
Find Spouse: Find Spouse

So you copy that into the thread, and go back to the tab/window where you have the Ancestry search page open.

You click on "Find Spouse" -- I know you know this ;)

and you get

Name: Mary Jones
Spouse Surname: Smith
Find Spouse: Find Spouse

So then I go back to the post I am composing here at GR and change what I had copied to this:

Name: John Smith
>> Spouse : Mary Jones

-- i.e., in the second line, delete "surname" and add "Mary".

I find this is best way to make the record understandable for new users, for instance.

No extra bumph (like "find spouse"), none of the "spouse finder" stuff that records at GR include. Just the actual facts.

And then I submit.

In any case, you could always post the first record, then edit it just to add

spouse: Mary Jones

Hope that helps.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jun 2011 17:12

PS, I think this is a good place to put a question like this, but that's just me. ;-) There isn't really a better place.

You've been posting -- you gave me those US census records I was after! -- just not starting threads, I guess!

For the guidelines for this board, just click on the pinned post at the top of the board list.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jun 2011 17:18

And I see I've misunderstood your question. You were talking about pre-1911 marriages where actual spouse isn't identified.

Quick answer: use FreeBMD instead. ;) Seriously, that's really easy.

Marriages Jun 1897 (>99%)
Smith Mary Islington 10x 1000 Scan available - click to view
JONES John Islington 10x 1000 Scan available - click to view
Cooper Sally Islington 10x 1000 Scan available - click to view
Carter William Islington 10x 1000

and then delete the bumph and highlight the known person:

Marriages Jun 1897
Smith Islington 10x 1000
> JONES John Islington 10x 1000
Cooper Sally Islington 10x 1000
Carter William Islington 10x 1000

and submit!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jun 2011 17:21

From Ancestry, the easiest way is just to copy and paste the person you want

Name: John Jones
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1897
Registration district: Islington
Inferred County: London

Then just type the names you get when you click on the page number

Name: John Jones
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1897
Registration district: Islington
Inferred County: London

possible spouses
Mary Smith
Sally Cooper
William Carter

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 2 Jun 2011 17:30

Astra and Janey

Thanks for response. Did not make myself at all clear. I knew what I meant!

That's it Janey. I want to do it as I have seen it posted by others. I'll use Free BMD for the posting.

Yes starting threads is the problem - its a bit daunting. I've only just managed to find the reply button at the bottom of the page.

EDIT missed previous suggestion for Ancestry. I was trying somehow to cut and paste both pages together. That's another option - just type in the other possible spouses. Thanks.

Vera

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Jun 2011 18:46

I know it's a bit off-topic, but...

Marrs at FreeBMD are essentially complete thru 1949 except for:

Marriages Sep 1920 (40%) *******************
Marriages Dec 1920 (0%) *******************
Marriages Dec 1938 (96%) **
Marriages Dec 1940 (99%) *
Marriages Dec 1941 (85%) *******************

For resolving who wed whom pre 1912, it's worth checking if there's a local RO's index at:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

Finally, for Irish stuff
The GRO(I) index thru 1958 (excl N. Ireland post-partition) is available at:
https://www.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1®ion=EUROPE

One can purchase certs (or cheaper still, the uncertified images of the rego) via:
http://www.groireland.ie/

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 2 Jun 2011 19:28

mgnv

Thanks for the additional info. I tend not to use the Free BMD site although I know it is very popular on here. Will give it a try especially for copy, cut and paste.

I'm looking for my g/gmother pre partiion Ireland Armagh. Did not know about the uncertified images.

One more question - where can I put all the responses on this thread? Can I file them away somewhere easy to retreive or do they just have to stay in my thread.

Vera

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jun 2011 19:43

You can ... copy and paste them!

What I do is copy the thread content -- from the last line in the thread up to the "member since" on the first poster's post -- and paste it into an email, and send it to / from myself at the Gmail account I use for GR-related email. Or, if it's about my own family history, send it in an email to/from myself at the Gmail account I use for that.

You could also just copy the bits you actually want and do that. Or save them in a word document on your computer.

(The good thing about gmail accounts then is that they are searchable, really quickly and easily, so all you have to do is use the search box and look for "paste", for instance. I use mine kind of as my own personal discussion board.)

Of course, the easy thing is to bookmark the thread -- click the "Watch this" purple button in the upper left -- and then to find it, click on "My watched threads".

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 2 Jun 2011 20:42

Janey

Thread in my 'watched threads' and saved in a word document.
Need my dinner before I tackle those e mail instructions.

Thanks for the help

Vera.

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Jun 2011 04:40

You definitely should copy and paste them into some document you keep on your PC, say.

Posters are free to delete their own posts. It doesn't make sense to me why they might do this, but some do, so I always keep a record of my own threads, (as distinct from other folks' threads that I've only posted on).

I also suggest you copy and paste into some document any hits you've found, like BMDs, censuses, passenger lists, etc. along with any odd URLs. (I suspect you already do this, since that's what this thread is on about.)

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 3 Jun 2011 19:53

Is Janey listening. She doesn't delete any posts! but I get what you mean.

I have managed to cut and paste all the guidance on this thread into a word processing document. I used to do word processing a lot in the past but I find Windows 7 very complicated when saving anything. XP was much better.

The request about copying and pasting was specific to marriages and spouses. I never save any of my responses. I usually find the records on Ancestry and keep them in the shoebox for a little while. Do you mean I should copy and paste all my responses on here?

Vera

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jun 2011 21:41

mgnv is very right -- people do delete posts for reasons known only to them. ;-)

"Do you mean I should copy and paste all my responses on here?"

Just anything *you* want to save. You don't need to save the US census records you gave me. ;-)

Do save anything that's important to you, though.

I was really unhappy when I'd been away for a while and found that my TTF thread about my Wiltshire grx3 grfather had been deleted (with no notice sent to me) for no even remotely valid reason, so I lost the info in it and the names of the people who had given it to me.

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 3 Jun 2011 22:08

So although it was your thread, the responses were deleted. I see.
So if I have anything that is important to me ie responses to a thread
I should save them. Got it.

Off to look at my old threads.

Thanks

Vera|

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jun 2011 22:33

It could be easier just to print than to copy and paste. ;-)

Use "print preview" to identify what you want to save and just print the pages of the printout that they're on. (Or just print the whole thing, but you'll get a couple of pages of useless site bumph, at the beginning and end.) Be sure to do that for each page of the thread. If you see what I mean.

(Actually, in the case of my Wiltshire ancestor, my entire thread was deleted, i.e. by site management. But no one would have reported my thread for no reason, noooo. ;-) In other cases, yes, people delete their own posts in someone else's thread, so sometimes they end up looking like an old motheaten sweater, with people talking to themselves because there's nobody else there, and the actual info that was posted all missing.)

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 4 Jun 2011 12:59

Janey

Gone through the motions of 'print preview' and it works and hang on the wireless printer is working too (not always consistent) but I'm getting about God knows how many pages and I told it Page 9 and 10 oinly.

Nearly there

Vera

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Jun 2011 19:23

Re: copying of the thread - Janey's covered this better than I did.

Re: I also suggest...

I download the Ancestry images - my own shoebox on my PC if you like.
I also copy & paste their transcriptions, then modify those. E.g.,

1861 England Census
Civil Parish: Heaton
County/Island: Northumberland
Street address: Heaton High Pit
Registration district: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Sub registration district: Byker
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Household schedule number: 50

William Thirlaway 70 Burnopfield, Durham, England Head M Collier
Elizabeth Thirlaway 60 Pit Hill, Durham, England Wife M
George Thirlaway 31 Newcastle, All Saints Son U Collier
Sarah Thirlaway 21 Newcastle, All Saints Daughter
William Thirlaway 17 Newcastle, All Saints Grandson Collier
George Anderson 6 St Andrew's Grandson Scholar
Hannah Thirldway [Thirlaway] 4 Newcastle, St Andrews Granddaughter Scholar
George Thirldway [Thirlaway] 4Mo Heaton Grandson

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3834; Folio: 54; Page: 10; GSU roll: 87086.

So here, I've added my own transcriptions of the street addy, marital status, and occup.
I would also add corrections in [] if needed.

There's a couple of benefits to this - firstly, I can add non-Ancestry records - e.g.,

Groom's Name: George Thirlaway
Groom's Birth Date: 1860
Groom's Age: 27
Bride's Name: Martha Bagnall
Bride's Birth Date: 1863
Bride's Age: 24
Marriage Date: 11 Apr 1887
Marriage Place: All Saints,Newcastle Upon Tyne,Northumberland,England
Groom's Father's Name: William Thirlaway
Bride's Father's Name: Robert Bagnall
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M15606-7
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 1068976

This was an LDS record - again I modified it by cutting out all the irrelevant lines.
[George & Martha were my g grandparents]

Secondly, suppose I wanted to find Geo's gran's birth records.
It's a lot easier to check my copied & pasted notes to see what she said thru 1871 than to open the 4 censuses, so I see:

Elizabeth Shortway [Thorlway] 40 Northumberland, England
Elizabeth Thirlaway 53 Panfield [Tanfield], Durham, England Wife M
Elizabeth Thirlaway 60 Pit Hill, Durham, England Wife M
Elizabeth Shvilaway [Thirlaway] 72 Beamish, Durham, England Wife M Coal Miners Wife

The census subdistricts were: Byker, St Andrew, Byker, Longbenton.
All are now in Newcastle Upon Tyne RD, but the last was in Tynemouth RD in 1871.

Although it's beyond the scope of the example, I would try to reconcile these pobs.
1841 was less reliable, and one often finds people were wrongly said to be born in the census county.
Pit Hill really could be anywhere - I'll need to check a map.

Next, I'll look up in Lewis (1848):
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=445
and get
BEAMISH, a township, in the chapelry of Tanfield;
TANFIELD, a chapelry, in the parish of Chester-le-Street, union of Lanchester, Middle division, of Chester ward, N. division of Durham, 7 miles (S. W.) from Gateshead... The chapel, dedicated to St. Margaret, was rebuilt by subscription, in 1749.

So my best bet would seem to be the OPRs for Tanfield, and, failing that, to check the nearby parishes as found in:
http://maps.familysearch.org/

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 5 Jun 2011 03:48

Thanks for the info re storing ancestry records. I would normally not put them into a separate file on the pc but when I find records outside of Ancestry I do add the source of the record to my tree and the info contained in them.
I have also at this time a whole load of 1911 census to type out on my tree.. Might just hang on until November for Ancestry.

I thought at first you were giving me examples but I see one of the records of your g/gparents has their address as All Saints, Newcastle. Mr G/gmother
Isabella Dixon Pearson was born in Newcastle and on the 1861 census she is
at 3, Hanover Street in the Civil Parish of All Saints.

I will cut and paste this into my WP document for future reference. I quite often use the maps but I tend to just Google and pick up on Wilkipedia.

Thanks for the help

Vera

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Jun 2011 10:49

Check out http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1732873

Back in 1861, Heaton High Pit was just across the fields from Heaton High Farm, which appears on the same census sheet as my g grandad, run by Patrick Freeman - father & son. It's from them that Paddy Freeman's pond by Jesmond Dene gets its name.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/65035

The FS map whose URL I gave above is pretty useless as a map - it's rather diagramatic, but it does show parish boundaries, even if you don't know where abouts they are precisely.

I use http://maps.google.com/ for N America, but for the UK I use http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Hanover St isn't indexed, but if I look up the nearby Forth St, it takes me to a giant URL. Embedded in the middle of that URL is the string

x=424675&y=563701

which gives the OS coords to the nearest metre.

Adjusting this to 424800,563600 then searching for this string points right at Hanover St. I can look up these coords at other sites like
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html
(I find navigating around a bit of a pain on this site)
This site does have old town plans with a quite large scale.