Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 19:22

Searching for any information about Henry Gray (tramway worker). Evidence is marriage certificate of William Gray in 1928 where Henry Gray is noted as father. Suspect that William Gray was adopted son born in Sheffield (I have no evidence - only word of mouth). William Gray married Margaret Riley in 1928 (aug 2nd) in Hendon Middlesex. His residence was Royal Naval Barracks, Devonport. So who was his father Henry Gray, was it his adopted father?

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 19:25

William Gray noted as being aged 24 on his marriage certificate, so I guess he was born circa 19o4. This may or may not suggest the likely age of Henry Gray at that time of either being the true father or adopted father.

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Feb 2005 19:34

didn't want my bit then : Ask, someone looks and you post it all again? Pick up thy gauntlet and walk!

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 17 Feb 2005 19:48

Jess, Is it me or has he upset you.

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Feb 2005 20:07

Take a look at your Ebay thread Ciara See how you would feel Jess

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Feb 2005 20:09

By The way, there is little way of finding out who his father is without applying for his birth certificate. Yes we are helpful but we dont have crystal balls nor magic wands Jess

Heather

Heather Report 17 Feb 2005 20:16

And we do prefer a please and thankyou.

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 20:27

Jess, I sincerely meant no disrespect and did not notice the 'Source 1901 census -RG13/4344 Folio 14 page 20' at the foot of your posting. Thank you for the posting. However, an idea sprung to my mind that it would be interesting to know how quick the whole audience of these message boards could solve a problem collectively with all of their individual resources. I have helped many people through other web sites (one I built myself) and believe that this is the key to successfully solving these brick walls we sometimes face in our obsessive hobby. Andy.

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 20:29

Applying for the birth certificate is not the easy solution because I've no proof of the birth place other than word of mouth that it was Sheffield. I ordered one certificate for the year 1904 Sheffield but it turned out to be father Percy Gray and not Henry Gray as noted on William Gray's marriage certificate.

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Feb 2005 20:41

Lets go build Rome in a day then, off you go. If you asked someone EXTREMELY nicely they may do a look up and find you a birth for him, provide you with a reference number then you can order the correct one.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Feb 2005 20:50

Jess, sorry to correct you slightly, if you have spare credits with the GRO , or a spare bit of plastic then perhaps you should offer to order the cert for them, just in case it might be the wrong one and they might have wasted their money....!

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 21:21

I'm not sure I understand your responses Jess - are you suggesting that posting for help is the wrong approach here? This is a message board for seeking out information not found elsewhere. I have access to censuses, I have an ancestry subscription, I have ordered certificates with the limited information I have. I was merely posting a message for help in the hope someone with some vital information was looking. What a pity - I thought this place might be worth posting a message on. By the way, I did thank you for your posting and never meant my response to be misconstrued in the way it was. Regards, Andy

Debbie

Debbie Report 17 Feb 2005 21:25

Andrew Earlier on at 19.05pm you asked for help with a Henry Gray. Jess answered that pretty quick at 19.15pm. At 19.22pm you asked the same question again on a different thread. Now that is just wasting peoples time, as some other poor person is franticaly looking for you, and they havnt seen the other thread. If you ask for a look up ask once. If you dont get a answer perhaps ask again.

Julie

Julie Report 17 Feb 2005 21:33

Andrew Wots with the attitude, EVERYONE i have come across on Genes has always been very nice and taken the time out to help others where possible. 99.9% those who ask for help reply saying thankyou regardless of what information is found. I for one couldn't research my rellies without there help. Julie

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 21:36

Julie I completely agree but read the responses to my thread.

Julie

Julie Report 17 Feb 2005 21:43

Andrew I can see why Jess is upset, you could of replied with has anyone else have any other ideas. Her response is natural, im sure she felt like she has wasted her time & effort. Julie

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 21:54

You guys are hilarious.

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 21:54

No, really, you are.

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Feb 2005 21:57

Jess the Bow .....whatever, even sending me personal messages which are incomprehensible .... '9 mins ...58 seconds is it the right one? Jess '

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 17 Feb 2005 22:05

I have recently had someone ask for a look up on one of my threads and then post their own message. I never got a thank you or anything. This doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's so disheartening. I have people in my tree with common names, Frederick William Newman, for example. I spent £70 until I found the right one, and that was because I didn't know the area. Admittedly this was before the internet got so popular and so resourceful genealogy wise. Genealogy isn't about 'doing it cheaply', it's about finding the correct info, despite how many certificates you have to buy to do so. If you're not willing to do this then this is obviously not the right 'hobby' for you. You are rude and inconsiderate, Andrew. People help on here out of kindness, they are not paid to do it. Don't treat them like you're paying them to do it, treat them with some respect for God's sake!