Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genes Trees

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`)

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 9 Oct 2007 22:23

Can you help me? I have had great fun using this site BUT I have difficulties logging in ancestors prior to 1000 AD and it is impossible to log in BC dates. Genes recommend buying GedCom, but I don;t have the time to install it! Also I don't have the time to delete ancestors to correct or add to one entry. This is really mucking up my tree. Can anyone help with a simple solution. Thanks, Lindy.

SHRat

SHRat Report 10 Oct 2007 13:50

Easy solution
I use TMG, the most fully featured genealogy program around. Send me everything you have and I will enter it all on a tree for you @ £15 an hour, and even check all the dates and details for the same price. Then you can upload it all in one go.
Rob

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 10 Oct 2007 14:00

Have you really found rellies prior to 1000ad and why would you want to use BC dates

Ann

Sam

Sam Report 10 Oct 2007 14:00

How on earth have you got your tree back so far as to need BC dates? Or even pre-1000 AD for that matter, lol!

Unless you have got back as far as Adam and Eve of course...

Sam x

Janet

Janet Report 10 Oct 2007 16:02

Lindy,

Registers in UK, France and Germany were the first registers to come into being between 1538 and around 1560. I am not at all sure how you could have got back to to beyond 1000 as there are just no records. If you are Icelandic apparently there are records there going back to about 700 but that is also rather suspect and more oral than written.

If you have PROVEN Royal or Landed Gentry in your blood then you will be on their Ancestral Trees and some of them have gone a long way back with their proven land records but that is already been done by those people so you do not need to duplicate a tree already well done.

Of course you may have discovered the Tree going back to BC found on GR about 2/3 years ago, which apparently had been completed in one afternoon. I understand they managed to get back to Adam and Eve, but I had not heard that they had got back any further! Perhaps you have managed to find the final link in the chain? Please do explain further.

Janet North London Borders

Janet

Janet Report 10 Oct 2007 16:15

Capricorn

I thought we were all descended from Adam and Eve!!!!!!

I have a feeling that Lindy is enjoying a wind up!

JanetNLB

Janet

Janet Report 10 Oct 2007 16:37

Right Capricorn got it in one or two!! Might take a leaf out of Robert's book and offer to do same at a competitive price but on second thoughts have I really got the time?? There is a real Blackadder in Scotland you know! I found the family whilst looking for my Scottish Gibsons.

Janet NLB

Janet

Janet Report 10 Oct 2007 17:33

Whew, all that talking about work makes me feel tired. Being retired is fun! Wouldn't go back to work if you paid me!

Janet

SHRat

SHRat Report 10 Oct 2007 21:08

Come on Lindy, we're all trying to help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Oct 2007 21:36

I'm sure this is a wind-up...........or the poster had a few too many sherbets!

Reg

SHRat

SHRat Report 10 Oct 2007 22:05

Now then Reg, we've got to take someone who has done that much research seriously. I am looking forward to doing her tree for her. Do you think she will answer if I drop my price?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Oct 2007 22:12

Robert

Maybe she'll respond if you do what Ryan Sidebottom did today on the cricket field!!

Reg

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 11 Oct 2007 10:05

I too am looking forward to retirement, I have 8 years left to do and am counting the weeks.
I would dearly like to know what a Government Artisit is

Ann

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 11 Oct 2007 11:26

Thanks to all of you!

Robert - Sorry, no time or MONEY! I don't pay for someone to see my research. If I can get it on Genes, all can see for free!

Whiskey Soda - Use of BC and prior to 1000 AD is obvious!

Sam - Hi! I have relatives in Newcastle-Under-Lyme!

Janet - Who said I used registers and that there are NO records? I do my own research and I'm VERY sceptical of the research of other's!

Capricorn on the Cusp - See reply to Janet! Pension not enough! Work 3 days a week, so NO time, either!

Reggie - NO wind-up!

If I can persuade Genes to alter their basic programme, you will all the able to see and comment on my findings! So far, they aren't playing!
But if you all send them messages, saying you are interested, MAYBE they would consider it.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Oct 2007 11:47

Ah, it must be the Holy Ghost himself. Is it that time already???

I hope GR is listening and can come up with the goods very smartly.

Waiting in anticipation!

I thought we all did our own research?????

Capricorn

Well, there you are that lets me off the hook unless my time comes around once more!

Janet

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 11 Oct 2007 11:54

Lindy
I am very impressed that you have gotten back that far, how long has it taken you.
Can I ask where you get the pre 1500ad records from
Thanks
Ann

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 11 Oct 2007 11:58

Hi, Janet,

In my book, using someone else's research, is not research. Just copying on the back of that person's hard work. But going to the original documents is research, because you don't know who you will find or where it is going. And having found these documents, they are the proof that your findings are correct.

Of course, the Bible is full of genealogies, but unless you start from this end, you don't know which line to follow.

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 11 Oct 2007 12:11

Hi, Ann

In my local library, there is a professional genealogist, who helped me by finding the relevant books to read. They had a series, which included the genealogy of the landed gentry. So, when I asked the Genealogist about certain families on my tree, he produced these and other books. As they are for Reference only, I had to hand-write the relevant parts. Gradually, I got further an further back. And more and more of my families tied in to the same family. (There weren't that many people around in 1000 AD!)

I was off work for 2 years from early 2002 and not able to do much, so a lot of my research was done, then.

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 11 Oct 2007 12:50

Hi Lindy
I dont think I will be able to get back that far, as my family were nearly all Ag labs or cotton mill workers not landed gentry, I am doing ok, but was interested to know how to get futher back
best wishes
Ann

SHRat

SHRat Report 11 Oct 2007 14:34

Lindy
If you have your info on a genealogy package at present then I don't see the difficulty in producing a GEDCOM to upload. All packages have a GEDCOM Export facility. From your original post GR seem to be saying you can't ENTER a BC date, but it would be accepted from a GEDCOM file.
Have I understood this right?
Rob