General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would appreciate some positive thoughts -update 3

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2013 23:22

Our youngest bros Alan born in 1945 and a grandad phoned me yesterday with some awful news.

He was diagnosed a little time ago with diabetes and was being monitored by the hospital . He was doing OK but then wasn't feeling that good and was losing weight cos he didn't feel like eating . After some tests he was told yesterday that cancer has been found on his liver.

He goes back to the hospital tomorrow to talk it through and will probably be referred on to Kings College Hospital London for any treatment they are going to suggest.

To say he is shattered and all in a tizz is an understatement .

When he rang to tell me I must admit I was at a loss on what to say to him. Did say you have to be optimistic and that other family members had beaten the big C after chemo etc but am still in a tizz myself on his news.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 7 Nov 2013 23:34

Sending lots of positive thoughts - I know from personal experience just how hard facing cancer can be not only for the sufferer but for their family to.
I would urge that when you feel able you call MacMillan Cancer Support on 0808 808 00 00, I can only say what wonderful support they provided to my family when my father was diagnosed. Even if its only to talk things over - sharing your worries and concerns will help believe me

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2013 23:41

Thanks Col

Our daughter went through 6 months chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma and is now 3 years on from her 5 years monitoring after she finished her chemo .

When we took her to the Hospital every 2 weeks for her treatment the Macmillan People were there offering assistance for anyone who needed it.

Will certainly tell our brother to accept all the help they can offer him and his family

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Nov 2013 06:21

Not the news you want to hear Shirley, I do hope Alan will get good treatment that will allow him longer with his family and to be painfree as long as possible. Poor man and poor you too, not surprising you in a tizz.

Take care
Lizxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Nov 2013 08:25

Sending you lots of positive thoughts that your brother will beat this horrid disease. <3 <3 <3

MaryinSpain

MaryinSpain Report 8 Nov 2013 10:55

Sending positive thoughts to your brother and all the family
Love Mary xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Nov 2013 11:02

recovery from all forms of cancer is improving all the time - here's hoping for a positive outcome for Alan

Ann XX <3 <3 <3

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 8 Nov 2013 11:52

Shirley just to say I will be thinking of you and your family, this is a stressful time for all of you

Wendy x

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 8 Nov 2013 12:58

Just like to say to your brother - I was diagnosed with cancer, albeit different type from his, in 2004 and I feared the worst, however this was successfully treated at St Thomas's Hospital in London, and I am still here 9 years later at age 70 enjoying life.

Treatments for cancer has advanced so much in recent years and new ways of treating it are being discovered every other day, so tell yor brother Alan from me to keep his chin up and hang on in there - I hope that the outcome of his treatment will see him enjoying & sharing many more years with his family & friends.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 8 Nov 2013 14:24

Sending your brother positive and healing thoughts, he will need the love and support from family and friends to help him face what lies ahead. My thoughts are with you too Shirley it is agonising watching a loved one suffer. Stay strong. Xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Nov 2013 15:45

Thank you all for your kind and positive thoughts . Will be giving Al very positive chat to boost his own mindset and hopefully his determination to beat this .

I <3 <3

kandj

kandj Report 8 Nov 2013 16:42

A huge blow for your brother and your family. Sending positive healing vibes today.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 8 Nov 2013 18:43

It's something everyone dreads,but we have to remain positive and keep strong for them..
Im sure he has all the support from family and send positive thoughts to him..

Im a cancer survivor from an operation in 1951. Had a 10 hr op and radium needles,mother told didnt look good and Im still here.
62 yrs ago!!!
Best wishes x

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 10 Nov 2013 15:06

Sending positive thoughts to you and your brother in this difficult time.It must be very difficult to have to deal with 2 such awful diseases...and awful for you, Shirley, to have to just stand by and see him struggling to overcome them both.As brenda says,he CAN survive the cancer, bless him, great strides have been made in that field.I too, am a cancer surviver, lost a lung to a very rare type of this in '83.
Bless you and your brother, take care.

Eileen xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Nov 2013 15:14

Thank you Eileen and all of you .

I think my brother is panicking cos our sister lost her eldest son to cancer only 2 years ago.

He fought and seemed to overcome leukemia. even had a transplant from one of his siblings but 8 years on his recurred and he couldn't be helped .

BUT our daughter fought Hodgkins and is still here some 8 years later.

Sadly though our dad got prostate cancer that eventually took him

Its all a worry and I can understand my brother panicking

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 11 Nov 2013 20:49

Dear Shirley

Hello

I hope so much that your brother gets the treatment and help needed
as quickly as possible.

News of illness stirs so many emotions.

You need to take care of yourself too for you have had a huge shock.

My heart goes out to you, dear Shirley and your family

My sincere wishes to you all
Love from Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Nov 2013 23:34

Sending positive thoughts to your family for a successful outcome from your brother's treatment.
I hope he has plenty of support to be able to look forward with hope and a calm approach.

All best wishes to him.

Gwyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Dec 2013 15:00

Update

Been talking to Alan and asking him whats the next step. A BLOW now too as he was so in the clouds when he rang me from coming out of the hospital that he told me the wrong organ cancer.

Its pancreatic which isnt good. Its a very difficult cancer to diagnose cos it does its worse silently its only in its later stages that people are aware of things aint right!

he has lost weight cos doesn't feel like eating . The tablets they gave him originally for diabetes that they thought was his problem have thoroughly upset his system .
He is being referred on and waiting for the appointment ,BUT looking online its one of the worse cancers you can get and sadly isnt curable . Not that i would ever dream of telling him

I am devastated cos he is our youngest brother . :-( :-( :-(

Life is a bummer sometimes

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 1 Dec 2013 15:22

Oh Shirley, I am very, very sorry to read this. Bless your brother and all his loved ones.This is terrible blow.It seems a dreadful life-threatening sentence...may the 'people-who-know' find a way to extend his life and make it completely pain-free, more can I not say. Bless you too, and please take care of yourself.It is going to be a very difficult path you and all his loved ones will have to tread.

Eileen xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Dec 2013 15:34

Thank you Eileen
<3