General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any unwanted presents?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Dec 2013 22:35

Did anyone get any presents they really did not like or want? If so what will you do with them? Charity shop, keep them for a future birthday or maybe give them to a tombola or raffle?

As i live hundreds of miles away from my family, anything I dont want, i can recycle to down south. Couple of things winging their way as birthday presents early spring!

Florence
In the hebrides :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Dec 2013 22:42

I had a box of chocolate liqueurs - don't care for them much plus I've been on a successful diet since June so wouldn't eat them anyway - they are already earmarked for a gentleman friend of mine :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Dec 2013 22:52

Nice thought Anne and how good of you to stick with your diet.

Well done for being successful
Florence
in the hebrides :-D

wisechild

wisechild Report 27 Dec 2013 07:16

Every year for birthday & Christmas, OH asks me what I would like, then gives me something HE wants to buy & which bears no resemblance to what I asked for.
I daren´t say anything because if I do, he goes off on a tantrum lasting several days & the atmosphere in the house is awful.
Anything I buy for him is left on the table, then put away & probably never seen again.
He doesn´t seem to understand the concept of giving & recieving gifts
I don´t have a tantrum about that. In fact I never bother to mention it again.
What´s the point?
I think in future, as money is too tight to be wasted, I will suggest we don´t buy each other presents, but spend the money to buy something for the house which we will both use.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 27 Dec 2013 08:05

I got a skyfall dvd which , littleman insisted mam buy me, I loathe 007 lol

but im going to watch it and give it a chance coz thee is domthing about daniel crsig ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Dec 2013 10:21

Skyfall is a brilliant film - you'll love it!!!

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 Dec 2013 10:29

A rather large raspberry fluffy dressing gown which makes me look like a grateful rather pink inmate of somewhere. Very warm and cosy but wouldn't be seen dead answering the door in it! :-D :-D :-D

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 27 Dec 2013 10:45

Biscuits by the tin full and lots of hankies - someone things I'm a sugar obsessed flu sufferer :-| still charity shops can have the boxes of hankies and will take the biccies to work for colleagues :-D

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 27 Dec 2013 11:34

Why do i get SCALF's? Why do i get CD's?. Why do i get DVD's?. Why do i get BOOK's i don't read year after year? They go in the bin. When i get asked what i want, I say B&Q vouchers but then get told YOU DON'T GIVE THEM FOR CHRISTMAS

Mersey

Mersey Report 27 Dec 2013 11:47

Malcolm perhaps you could consider giving them to charity :-)

GinN

GinN Report 27 Dec 2013 11:52

I always tell OH exactly what I want, and, bless him, he always delivers! This year its a 1 hour microlighting experience - I just love anything to do with flying! :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Dec 2013 11:57

At the family 'Secret Santa', I got a cossack hat!!
Very unflattering - but probably useful in the current weather.
It was wrapped in interesting paper - Small squares with various pictures of Santa posing in a desert!!

Methinks it came from my niece, over from Dubai :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 27 Dec 2013 12:28

Lol ann I hope so it has 2 other of daneils bond films for inceased agony lolol

Maddie

Maddie Report 27 Dec 2013 13:22

pair of slippers 2 sizes too small. :-(
However daughter is happy, they fit her

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 27 Dec 2013 13:44

I have laughed a lot reading this thread, especially at the raspberry pink dressing gown. :-D :-D :-D :-D

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 27 Dec 2013 14:03

Loved all my gifts this year.
If I didn't like something and was not able to change it - I would recycle in one way or another.
eg prezzie someone else or charity shop.
Perhaps we need Noel's Swap Shop!!

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 27 Dec 2013 16:42

I did, my husband of 55 years gave me in a blue plastic carrier bag with note as follows THE BEST I COULD DO,FOR ELAINE and signed J W K the items in the bag were.One brooch the stone surrounded by peeling faux pearls, one watch with broken strap,one necklace no chain and no loop to put a chain through,plus 4 irish linen hankies in good condition and boxed, ( I use tissues) All dug out from his loft where he stores things bought from charity shops etc over many years. He gave my son chocolate biscuits although he knows my son is diabetic. However, he managed to get for a not so close friend of his some cans of drink and mince pies bought when he went shopping which he does 2/3 times a week. To say I was dissapointed is putting it mildly. :-P :-S

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2013 17:01

My S.I.L always bought the things I least wanted or needed, like an umbrella when I cycled everywhere, a book on learning how to sew, knit, embroider etc knowing I had the full set of Golden hands (yes I am that old) and always always every birthday and Christmas a bottle tweed perfume which she new I hated. In the end I boxed it all up and gave it to her as a Christmas present. :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 27 Dec 2013 17:08

Unwanted Christmas presents don't cause me any problems, why, because I don't get any Christmas presents these days :-D :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 27 Dec 2013 17:36

everything I go I loved :-D :-D