General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What to send.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Dec 2013 13:39

As you know, Fred was very kindly and unexpectedly, sent some whisky from Scotland.

As we had done nothing to deserve this, I thought I should send something in return that was special to this area.

The logistics of sending Selsey crab were too much for I so it meant casting around for something else.

Luckily for the recipient I think, Shippams is lo longer specific to Chichester, which does have the advantage that the lingering hum of fish paste no longer hangs around the town when bottling is in full swing and that they did not have to enjoy a parcel of mixed pastes. You can have too much sardine and tomato quite quickly!

About the only thing I could find that was fairly easily despatched and was made locally was Montezuma's chocolate which I have never tried but I hope it does give a good impression.

So, what would you send as representative of your area?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2013 13:46

Does it have to be representative?.

Also I think maybe the sender wont want you to respond in kind ,their kind gesture was just that and in my opinion they wont want you to go to the expense of reciprocating :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Dec 2013 13:51

Maybe I just am not good or, indeed, practiced, in receiving.

It was a lovely gesture but I would not have been comfortable had I not given something back.

Anyway, I felt it appropriate to send something from here so it was special.

What would you have chosen to send?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2013 13:56

Depends what i could afford . there are many online sites that do flowers /plants and that would be my personal choice ,BUT it does depend on price

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Dec 2013 14:03

I might well have visited our 'made in Gloucester' shop. Or maybe Double Gloucester cheese or Gloucester Old Spot sausages. (both could be a bit smelly in the post though!!) :-)

Edit I forgot Tewkesbury mustard.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 29 Dec 2013 14:18

Northumberland homemade goodies - Chainbridge honey, Alnwick Rum, Lindisfarne Mead and spreads with it mixed in, Craster kippers not very postable though .............

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 29 Dec 2013 14:22

I would have to send Yorkshire Tea or Yorkshire Honey,but sent Special Delivery so they got there in perfect condition..

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2013 14:22

Sorry had a bit of a crisis/ Went downstairs to find hubby had fallen. he had his music so loud I couldn't have heard him call out.

Devils own job getting him up into a chair he is such a dead weight when he is down .

He is now sleeping in his armchair . Not feeling that good today anyway after his 24hour bug over Xmas and now he is fluey He stayed in bed till I had the lunch ready .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Dec 2013 14:26

Anything sold by the local tourist bureau with a picture of the Pocahontas statue on it, perhaps a pen, key or bookmark.

Further afield, possibly a selection of beers brewed by Shepherd Neame or from a micro brewery, or wine from a vineyard about 5 miles away (Yes, really :-D)
If they are teatotal, then some apple juice from one of the many fruit orchards.....which is also made into Cider.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 29 Dec 2013 14:48

Sarron, isn't there a farm that makes ice cream near you? You could send them some

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 29 Dec 2013 15:00

From Great Yarmouth....................Kippers :-D,

or maybe a stick of rock ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2013 15:06

How about a jar of Honey ?

http://www.mrpsbees.co.uk/ourshop/

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 29 Dec 2013 15:58

I would send wine we have a vineyard about 8 miles away or failing that Staffordshire Oatcakes - but they are an acquired tase

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 29 Dec 2013 16:09

A proper haggis from a top class Scottish butcher, I just love it when they phone or e-mail me - asking what they do with it :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Dec 2013 16:27

How would I do that then Malcolm?

Hope your husband is alright Shirley, and your back!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2013 17:21

Thanks Sharron
He is fine .

Afraid the position he was in he had to do a lot for himself. Did think I may have to ring for help but with a bit of maneuvering he managed to get himself in a position where we could both hoist him up into his armchair.

They are such a dead weight though when they fall and cant help themselves

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Dec 2013 19:53

from here? A portion of Stilton cheese is the most local i think of. at least it wont deteriorate in the post........

there ARE firms that will send foodstuffs( frozen) through the post, If I was recieving, some real Brockvurst

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 29 Dec 2013 20:37

Tom Jones LP

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Dec 2013 22:52

Loch Fyne oysters! :-) :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Dec 2013 23:06

That would be as hard as trying to send as Selsey crab.

There are a couple of lavender farms within striking distance of here. I love lavender but am never sure if others do so I would probably not send that unless I had sussed them out a bit.