General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't wait

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2014 16:24

Jam roly-poly for tea.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2014 17:12

Not that keen on Roly Poly or other steamed puddings.

This is because mum would make em and put used margarine papers around them .she coudlnt afford to buy grease proof paper.

She would roll em in pudding clothes and then set them on top of a saucepan of boiling water on a metal plate to steam. Puddings too got the margarine paper treatment and the pudding cloth and were put into the saucepan to cook .

They all came out with coloured patches on them from the print off the paper but more URGGGG was they always had a slimy outside where the water had penetrated . I hated that

Not into that sort of texture, hated too bread and milk that was the standby for brekkie when food was short .

Was a WW2 girl so this was after then when food was still in short supply especially for a big family to feed

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2014 17:24

I always loved the slimy bit but can't replicate it in the steamer.

Have never tried the pudd'n cloth bit, haven't got one.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2014 17:33

i think mum would tear up old pillow cases or sheets to make pudding cloths once they had outgrown their use on the beds.

I know sheets that wore in the middle got cut across the holey area and turned about so the worn areas were at each end . And she did all the sewing by hand to turn them about . Meant the middle of the sheet had a seam across it but you learnt how to lie so as not to feel the seam.

Once the sheets couldnt be reused they then became pudding cloths. dishcloths , floor cloths so they certainly paid for themselves in use.

Make do and mend was certainly the mantra then :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2014 17:42

I can still turn collars.

Phyll

Phyll Report 4 Jan 2014 18:23

I use one of my daughters old nappies (after having boiled & boiled it) for my steam puddings.
She is now 42 years old

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2014 18:33

Yep mum did that too and dad would mend our shoes. would be sent to the local cobbler to buy a piece of leather suitable for ether ladies or gents shoes and dad would used a snobbing foot and take off the old sole and put the new piece of leather on it and cut around the sole to fit it , he used something called heel bole ?? in the right colour to melt around the leather to match the shoe colour . he would do the heels too with maybe quarter segs on the outside of the heel wear.

On my shoes he would tack segs on the toes too and I loved it would tapdance on the pavement to hear the noise.

The segs really were to reduce wear on the parts that wore out first

GinN

GinN Report 4 Jan 2014 18:43

Not for me, I'm afraid, though I've only got experience of school dinner ones - grey and heavy, with weird tasting lumpy custard (shudders......)

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2014 21:54

Too right, not for you,

I don't share my roly with anybody!

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2014 21:54

Too right, not for you,

I don't share my roly with anybody!

Wend

Wend Report 4 Jan 2014 22:20

Meanie.

Got any of your home-made shortbread then?

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2014 22:33

Have you ever had my shortbread?

There's a bit of Christmas cake left and a few mince pies I think.

Wend

Wend Report 4 Jan 2014 23:23

Nah, I must've dreamt it.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2014 23:33

It's only right that you should dream about me Wend.

Right and very understandable!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jan 2014 00:24

My mum used muslin for steaming puddings.

What did you have with it Sharron - custard or cream *salivates*

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2014 08:35

Custard of course.

It would be an unnatural act to eat jam roly-poly with cream.

It would be akin to the totally abhorrent act of some pubs who serve bread and butter pudding with custard or cream.

Bread and butter pudding must be served and savoured totally naked, not always totally acceptable in some pubs I know, but it must be unadorned.

You wouldn't tip gravy over caviar!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jan 2014 12:47

:-D

Depends on how nice the caviar was......

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2014 12:48

You wouldn't spoil a good drop of gravy by tipping it over caviar!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jan 2014 13:08

:-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jan 2014 13:30

Used to love my Mums steamed puddings, jam rolypoly, and one with bacon. I actually did like bread and milk too Shirley (I was a war baby too). I also liked baked suet puddings and have made those myself. baked in the oven and eaten l;ike yorkshire pudding with lamb. Oh I like cream, custard or ice cream with bread and butter pudding. (peasant!)