General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mirabelle, she went to sleep this morning 8/7

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jul 2014 15:47

I have posted about her health problems since FEB . she appears to have a liver problem caused by bacteria progressing up from her bowel and causing damage to her bile duct and liver

she is very jaundiced now and has off days when she doesn't eat much The marvelous thing is she bounces back every tiime and eats and takes her meds

I do take her every morning to have her meds given and get her to take her antibiotic every evening.

Each day is a bonus for her and us.Our Vet who has been wonderful and takes her time with the meds and strokes and washes her face every time says what a lovely girl she is and how mirabelle has the abilitary to be very aggressive if she wanted to be

Sadly Mirabelle is getting more and more off days and the vet now thinks we are thinking its a tumour rather than a bacteria infection that had invaded her liver .

Her OFF days are now getting more frequent so she is really on a short straw now

The time to say she has had enough is getting very short now

Its Hard when she seems OK at home but is maybe not eating as much as you think she should but seems bright still , and she picks up and eats very well

The sad thing is I wish the decision would be hers and she will pass away in her sleep so I dont have to make it for her

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Jul 2014 16:25

Sadly Shirley its part and parcel of owning pets that become or should be as part of the household,,,Its not an easy decision to make,,,,,,but as the owner you have to step outside the comfort zone and put all your reasons aside and do what is the best.Its heartbreaking I know that and feel for you.

"what advise would you give someone else in the same position".?

Personally I would hate to find an animal of mine dead in a morning when I know they have been so poorly,I could never get it out of my mind that they may have been scared being alone........

I think you need to have a good chat with your vet and follow her advise.Medication wont help beyond a certain stage,then its more harm and tramua than good.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2014 16:36

Shirley

I do feel for you and your family as you come to this decision.

You've done your very best to keep Mirrabelle going, when all seemed lost and she has obviously rallied well, but sadly it seems that her body is now not so able to fight her cause.
Will be thinking of you in the days ahead and hope your pet is as comfortable as possible.

Gwyn

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 6 Jul 2014 16:44

Oh dear Shirley.........you have done your absolute best for her, but it sounds as if it is time to love her enough to let her go :-) :-)

It's a horrendous decision to make I know, but as Gwyn says, have a chat with the vet.

Ask them what they would do if she were their pet. <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 6 Jul 2014 16:55

So sorry to hear this Shirley, but as you say she is having more frequent off days than good.....Unfortunately no one can make that decision but you and yours.......

Maybe it is the time to love her even more and let her pass without pain and without discomfort.....

<3 <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jul 2014 17:34

I do know what you are all saying and our vet has been marvelous .she is very honest and upfront and tells it as it is .

She is saying now the time is getting very short when I have to say enough is enough, she certainly wont let us keep going if if isnt in mirabelles best interest .

I do know its nearly that time but every day that Mirabelle seems to be happy and has a very good hold on life that includes grooming herself coming on my lap for her cuddles . or keeping us company over night on the bed makes you wonder if she really wants to say I have had enough

its a very difficult position to be in right now . We want to love her for as long as possible whilst not being selfish for her and saying darling you have had enough
so go on your way

Bloody awful place to be in at the moment :-( :-(

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 6 Jul 2014 18:07

It is a horrible place to be in Shirley, only you will know by a look from your precious Mirabelle when she asks for your help :-( <3 <3

I will be thinking of you <3

Fly

Fly Report 6 Jul 2014 18:31

Shirley <3 <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jul 2014 22:40

Well she didnt have a good day yesterday . was puking and staggered a few times when she got up . Didnt eat all day , was interested in the ham sandwich hubby had in the evening and ate a few bits of ham he gave her Most part of the day she slept .

We made the difficult decision yesterday to let her go before she got more unwell . Think she knew because this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks she came upstairs and got on the bed between hubby and I .she stayed there too when I got up but did eventually come down and got on my lap for a cuddle and snooze

Think she was saying her goodbyes

The vet nurse was very good getting me to ring in every half hour to see how many they still had waiting to be seen so I didnt have to sit a wait for my turn to come

We went to the vet around 10.45 and went more of less straight in . The vet was wonderful she said we were very brave in making the right decision for her and I held mirabelle as the injection was given .

Tears all round . the vet nurse and the senior vet nurse and the vet all had the weeps and the vet even came to give me a big hug and said you will be OK . We will miss you not coming in every day but you have done the right thing for her

Been crying on and off all day .Its VERY HARD losing a much loved pet

So a bit long winded and probably too much info but needed to talk about it

Hubby said when I got home WE arent doing this anymore its too stressful and you get too upset

Please dont post the Rainbow Bridge poem anyone as its too painful at the moment

Thanks for all the caring posts you folks have given in the past about our little girl

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jul 2014 22:44

You did the best thing Shirley, been there and done that and understand how hard it's been and have an inkling of how you feel right now.

Sirius

Sirius Report 8 Jul 2014 22:52

I'm sorry for your loss Shirley, you did the right thing and that is what our pets ( who are our family also) deserve for sharing their lives and their unconditional love with us.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 8 Jul 2014 22:53

Mr M.... <3 xx <3

We put our Ella to rest a month ago after 17+ years.

Thinking of you all.

Mersey

Mersey Report 8 Jul 2014 22:55

Shirley im so so sorry to hear about Mirabelle.....she will always be with you in your hearts <3 <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jul 2014 23:01

I'm so sorry Shirley.

Gwyn

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2014 23:01

<3 <3 Shirley

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 Jul 2014 23:07

<3

Hard but the right decision.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2014 23:11

oh Shirley = my heart goes out to you <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 8 Jul 2014 23:12

Shirley you did the right thing, hard but right.

Thinking of you and your loss <3 <3

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Jul 2014 23:18

You have been very brave Shirley ......the vet was right ,you will both be OK..just takes a little time.

<3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 8 Jul 2014 23:44

Dear Shirley

Hello

Very sorry your beloved pet passed away.

Sending you and your husband lots of caring thoughts.

Love Elizabeth,
xx