General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Onions

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jul 2014 12:49

yesterday I bought some common or garden onions in M & S - just used some of them and was aghast to discover they were grown in New Zealand!!! Surely M & S could source onions from home ground

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Jul 2014 12:53

Nothing surprises me about M&S these days, lost their way some time back I think :-(

Allan

Allan Report 13 Jul 2014 13:04

It's enough to make you want to cry :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Jul 2014 13:11

Ann ~

Does the label say grown in NZ or packed in NZ??

I'll buy something that's grown across the ditch, but I avoid something marked as "packed" (especially frozen veg) because it probably was grown in China!

Nothing against the Chinese, but they use fertilizers etc that are banned elsewhere.

:-(

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 13 Jul 2014 13:49

But surely they wouldn't grow them somewhere, ship them to NZ to pack them and then ship them over to uk ........................ would they??? :-0 :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jul 2014 13:57

grown in New Zealand - Balle Brothers

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 13 Jul 2014 14:09

Lyndi, have a look at the distance fish and seafood travels before it ends up back in the UK. Carbon footprint? what carbon footprint?

Sue

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Jul 2014 14:11

Never mind onions - they stopped selling my favourite Y-Fronts :-( :-D :-(

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 13 Jul 2014 14:25

OFITG

:-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jul 2014 14:30

string Y-fronts? that's the only connection I can see with onions ;-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 Jul 2014 14:46

Ah! For the days you could browse all the jumpers shirts etc. folded on a counter and if your size wasn't there you could ask if they would check the stock room.

Now there is a vast store with everything spaced out nothing in your size and as for checking the stock room forget it! "Na it's all on display" ;-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Jul 2014 14:49

It is important to string your onions up the correct way ;-)

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 13 Jul 2014 14:57

If I do that Sue I might never eat fish again! :-0

Inky1

Inky1 Report 13 Jul 2014 14:57

From the point of view of my own garden veggie patch. Isn't it a bit early for UK onions?

Last Saturday I was in my local Sainsbury and the apples were from Chile, NZ and SA. Presently my two small apple trees have apples the size of plums. Maybe another two months before I pick. (If the wasps don't have them first, that is.)

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 13 Jul 2014 16:17

A while back I picked up a packet of "Scottish King Prawns" in the supermarket. On closer examination it stated in small print, "Produced in Scotland - packed in Thailand"

How does that make sense?

Put me right off anyway :-0

Tec :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 13 Jul 2014 16:24

Thanks Tec, that's exactly what I mean!

Sue

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 13 Jul 2014 18:45

My friend brought a lettuce yesterday from Tesco......it had a sticker on it saying Onions ! :-S

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 13 Jul 2014 22:12

At least it didn't say.........Y-Fronts!

:-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jul 2014 22:48

does any store still sell y-fronts? :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jul 2014 00:54

Lidl veg appears to be British very often.