General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cat flaps

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Sep 2014 13:35

Are cat flaps any good
ive bought one and wondered if anybody else had one
and do the cats use it :-D :-D

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 2 Sep 2014 13:48

Yes Joy I used one all the time on my various homes, Must be transparent to let the cat see nothing is waiting on the otherside, can be made one way, to let cat in but not out. Even have a lock with Key collar, to allow your cat only.

Cat will have to be pushed thru several times, til it learns the ropes.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 2 Sep 2014 13:50

Cats do use then, trouble with standard cat flaps is cats other that your own cats may come in to your house, have a look online :-)

http://www.youronlinepetshop.com/PetDoorChoice.htm

http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 2 Sep 2014 14:01

Just make sure they dont trap the cats tail.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Sep 2014 14:07

my cat quickly got the hang of the flap - unfortunately next door's cat, who does not have a cat flap, also uses it and comes in and eats my cat's food :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Sep 2014 15:12

You know the old saying by those without a cat-flap: 'That damn animal is always on the wrong side of the back door'.

Explanation to follow - if anyone is unsure of its meaning. Meow.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Sep 2014 15:17

thank you
yes billion its clear so they can see whats on the other side
Ann I don't think our Scarlett will be allowing the neighbours cats inside

though I really don't mind the neighbours cats they are quite cute :-D :-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 2 Sep 2014 15:20

A friend of mine got so fed up with finding other cats roaming around her house and eating her cat's food that she changed her existing cat-flap for one of those posh affair cat-flaps which opens only for her cat - he has the 'remote doofer' on his collar :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 2 Sep 2014 15:57

If your cat is a bit of a hunter she could be bringing in a selection of birds, mice etc.dead or alive! My daughter heard strange noises one night so got up to investigate and found her cat had brought in a live bat which was flying round her living room. :-0

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Sep 2014 16:36

its not just cats that do that suffolkvera

dobby my Labrador dog
brought us a pidgin last week alive and kicking :-D :-D

Jane

Jane Report 2 Sep 2014 17:28

My friend's cat has delivered throughout the flap everything from small birds to rabbits,Squirrels and even a Pheasant !!!!!.I dread looking after it when my friends are away,'cos I never know quite what I will be faced with LOL.
Yes get a flap that only your cat can use.There is nothing worse than the stink of a Tom Cat after he has paid a visit and done a bit of spraying :-S :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Sep 2014 17:48

I won't put a collar on my cat - don't like them, so I'll have to put up with intruders :-D

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 2 Sep 2014 18:46

Get it Microchipped Ann. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Sep 2014 19:00

he is microchipped :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Sep 2014 19:09

all mine are snipped and chipped and wear a collar
well they do like a bit of bling
I don't think strange cats would risk bumping into dobby :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Sep 2014 19:28

My daughter has a cat flap that works off their microchips - so only her cats can come it. Bit pricey, but she says well worth it.

I've got a 'bog standard' cat flap, as my cats aren't microchipped, and no way would they wear collars - not that I like them.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Sep 2014 19:47

In over 50 years of living with cats never ever used cat flaps. Jumping in through the window keeps them fit. They soon learn opening and closing hours. In the winter they yell to come in (and go out).
Never used collars al though always chipped / tattooed.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 2 Sep 2014 21:13

We used the magnetic ones for George worked really well. When we moved we got one of those battery powered ones it was pants always packing up an needing us to fiddle with it!

George just gave up using it, I think he thought we were taking the p*** to wind him up! ;-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Sep 2014 21:18

poor george :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Sep 2014 22:26

I want one that lets a hunk in but not out,,,,,,,,,,,, :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-).