General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Internet trolls

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Oct 2014 10:09

will soon face two years in jail - I hope GR are taking note of this

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Oct 2014 10:17

I haven't noticed much in the way of RRing for a week at least.

Funny about that. ;-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 19 Oct 2014 10:23

Can't wait to see some of the worst of them in jail.

Can't call what the RR does trolling, really, not compared to real trolls.

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Oct 2014 10:24

They get everywhere, I do not think it will be ever controlled :-|

Island

Island Report 19 Oct 2014 10:54

Lorks! Has 'the team' been at it? :-0

Seriously, I haven't heard of anything like the sort of trolling which is coming to light in the news happening on GR. I don't think RR'ing qualifies!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Oct 2014 10:59

some are quite subtle but persistent

Island

Island Report 19 Oct 2014 11:12

Name and shame then Ann

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Oct 2014 11:19

When elections are looming all sorts of impractical kites are sent aloft ....

For this particular kite the usual suspects as usual fail to realise that the internet is not under anybody's particular control. Short of constructing something like the great firewall of China catching trolls is extremely difficult. The proposers also fail to realise that the internet knows no borders. Even the Chinese find it difficult to track down targets and employ an army of people to do so. Would Theresa May? Well possibly but she'd never get the budget.

Sometimes the police manage to catch some of the worst trolls who fortunately tend also to be extremely stupid and are thus caught. Some appear to want to be caught in order to use their notoriety to further disseminate their poison.

For the smart and the scurrilous the police have neither the manpower nor the expertise. GRU of course have an email address for their posts and are in a position to know who said what. I have yet to see anything posted that even borders on the criminal. Saying things which are tasteless and off colour remains legal and that is very unlikely to change.

Kites may fly but not for long.

If people really want to avoid the nasty stuff on the internet altogether their best bet is to turn off the connection and stick to the People's Friend and TVGuide.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Oct 2014 11:23

is this an end to freedom of speech oh dear oh dear
so it will be ok if we have an opinion as long as we have the same opinion :-D :-D
Because sure as sugars sugar
some body who disagrees with somebody
will be branded a troll for having their own opinion :-D :-D

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 19 Oct 2014 11:24

Perhaps an organisation code name "Billy Goat gruff" to deal with them :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Oct 2014 11:32

pmsl @ Mayfield :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Oct 2014 11:40

I don't think what happens ( in general) on GR is "trolling", but the ruling might I suppose act as a bit of a reminder not to take the natural antagonism some people have further than the heated on board spat

Mindyou I suppose some of the abuse flung around in the past 'could' be construed as trolling... personal abuse unconnected with anything said on the board, but GR has handled that in the main, or the person has become so well known for it as to make it almost pitiable.

but RRing certainly does not qualify as trolling..

It won't hurt to have to think a bit more on how one says something before one says it....we do that in public, so thinking of the internet as being 'in public' sometimes puts a brake on.... I know it does with me ;-) ( sometimes!)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Oct 2014 11:45

agrees with Rose xx :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Oct 2014 11:47

The great reporter Claud Cockburn put it well: ‘Never believe anything until it’s officially denied’.

wisechild

wisechild Report 19 Oct 2014 11:49

There´s a world of difference between diagreeing with someone´s opinion & verbally abusing or threatening the person who disagrees.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Oct 2014 12:06

well I hope everybody else does Wisechild :-D :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 19 Oct 2014 12:18

I really hope those who have made threats to kill or rape people in the public eye get called to account and jailed in some cases.

There really is some 'orrible stuff out there.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Oct 2014 12:19

Guinevere me to :-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Oct 2014 12:21

I’d much rather read the torn corner of a Tabloid Newspaper in the loo than knowing what an ignorant troll is ranting about me online.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Oct 2014 12:36

As least if someone is talking about me, they are leaving some other poor person alone.