General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

lost sound

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 16:30

had to get a new keyboard today - fitted it in OK but have lost my sound - any ideas?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Dec 2014 16:34

Has your keyboard got a mute button at the top. 3 buttons a speaker one + one - and a further one. Has your speaker symbol at the bottom got a cross on it? If so it is muted. Go to control panel and you should be able to find 'sound'.

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Dec 2014 16:39

Ann at the top of your keyboard you have numbers.....above that have you got Symbols??

If so go across them and you will see a little speaker symbol on it F11

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 16:42

nope - no mute button and symbols on the numbers :-S

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Dec 2014 16:45

Ann do you have F1 F2 and so on across the top of your keyboard?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 16:45

just checked on control panel and it says sound not plugged in

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 16:46

yep, have F1 etc

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Dec 2014 16:48

also what port have you plugged the KB into?

what symbols have you got bottom right of your screen?

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Dec 2014 16:50

Ok have you pressed F11......

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 16:55

well this keyboard I had to plug in at the front of the computer - the old keyboard was plugged into the back

I did press F11 and that just removed the symbols at the bottom of my screen

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 16:56

think I'll have to get my neighbour over - he's a whizz on computers - without him I could never have registered my TomTom

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Dec 2014 17:19

Ann have you got an arrow pointing left in the bottom right near your clock,? if so click it and it should slide out icons,one which is volume right click on it and see that any mute boxes arent ticked,if they are just untick them.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 17:46

sorry I disappeared -lost connection

no arrow pointing right

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 17:47

thank you all for trying to help me - I'm a thicko on the computer - will get my lovely neighbour in tomorrow

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Dec 2014 17:59

what about pointing left,,the icon looks like a light bulb,,,,,,,,right click and it will show a box with sliders,,,,,,see the mute boxes,,,,make sure they are unticked,,,,,,,,,,are you on XP?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 18 Dec 2014 18:49

Different versions of Windows operate in slightly different ways and there is no real standard layout for a keyboard.

However, F11 generally toggles whichever window is open (running) between full screen mode and back again.

Normally, the F (Function) keys are not used on their own for altering things such as sound levels.

It is possible that there are two keys for altering the volume and in all likelihood you would have to press the FN key at the same time to use them.

It would help to know which version of Windows is being used.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 18:54

that's what I love about this site - everyone is so helpful - and I'm so thick!!! Can't remember if I've got W7 or 8 - see what I mean? I just tried "System restore" donlt know if that's done the trick

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2014 18:58

think I'll call it a day and get Mr Wonderful over tomorrow!!! thank you all - I'm just a hopeless case

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Dec 2014 18:59

Stop it Ann you are not fick thats my job ROFLMAO :-D :-D :-D ;-) <3 <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Dec 2014 18:59

Well I for one am disappointed Ann..
thought once you got it up and running
we might have a sing song :-S :-S