General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frozen turkey

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Dec 2014 12:56

Just took a frozen Aldi turkey breast out of the freezer - on the back of the packaging it says "Best cooked from frozen" - surely that can't be right? :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Dec 2014 13:02

I wish someone would say something :-D

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 24 Dec 2014 13:03

That doesn't sound right to me Ann. I always thought poultry had to be properly defrosted before cooking.
Maybe I'm wrong, and others will advise, but that's what I would do.

Tec :-)

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 24 Dec 2014 13:05

I've been reading about this happening :-S... but I'm an 'old cook' and certainly wouldn't cook poultry from frozen... but then always some things changing (think there's probably an uptodate freezing method now?)
Anyway however you choose, roast it well enough and enjoy your dinner.

Mau :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Dec 2014 13:06

We cook ours from frozen a Tesco one,
we have had no problems. :-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Dec 2014 13:08

AnnCardiff >3 where did you buy it, some stores websites - when you click on the item will give you all the instructions/guidelines that you need for preparing and cooking an item :-)

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 24 Dec 2014 13:08

Ann...it says on their website NEVER cook a turkey without defrosting :-0

Merlin

Merlin Report 24 Dec 2014 13:12

Ann, Cook it as you normally would (Defrost) to be on the safe side,and enjoy it. Happy Christmas. **M** :-D :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 24 Dec 2014 13:22

Ann.....there are sites which say you can cook from frozen...but you have to adjust the cooking times....takes longer <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Dec 2014 13:23

Exactly :-D :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Dec 2014 13:30

My DIL cooks a whole turkey from frozen and when it's thawed out enough in the oven she reaches in and pulls out the bag of giblets.

jax

jax Report 24 Dec 2014 13:33

Iceland one says cook from frozen, but he is going to defrost it first

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Dec 2014 13:36

I think you better go and buy a lamb chop Ann.

Just to be on the safe side.

:-D

Sallie

Sallie Report 24 Dec 2014 13:38

Hi Ann, I always defrost before cooking, I would be wary about cooking it from frozen.

As someone said on here, cook it as you always do. Enjoy your dinner!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR to everyone.

Sallie.xx <3

Merlin

Merlin Report 24 Dec 2014 13:44

Don,t bother about buying a Chop Ann, Just cut a slice of Rump That Pricklys Showing :-D :-D :-D :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Dec 2014 14:17

:-0 :-0

:-D

JustJanet

JustJanet Report 24 Dec 2014 14:35

Currently cooking an Iceland one which says cook from Frozen but I took it out of freezer yesterday and defrosted overnight. It looks and smells good so far.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 24 Dec 2014 14:37

I`ve just put a frozen Hog joint in the oven (It says best cook from frozen) cook for 3hr 20mins from frozen.

SO...
If I don't return here after Boxing Day you will know not to do it then wont you. :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Dec 2014 15:11

I thought the rule was, if it has four legs you can cook it from frozen, less than four, you defrost first!!

Anyway, thanks for the input - I shall carry on defrosting it :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Dec 2014 15:12

I've just used a jelly for the trifle - it said best before 2010 - looks OK so I've used it :-D