General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how other countries must laugh at us!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2015 10:43

Unbelievable!!!

Up to two centimetres of snow fell on the Forest of Dean and other parts of Gloucestershire last night forcing some schools to close their doors this morning.

A yellow warning for snow and ice is still in place for the county with the Met Office with motorists and pedestrians advised to take care.

Temperatures are set to remain close to freezing throughout the morning, at around two degrees Celsius

A spokesperson for the Met Office said: “The public should be aware of tricky driving conditions.”

Read more: http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Snow-Gloucestershire-Schools-closed-2cm-falls/story-25852533-detail/story.html#ixzz3On6jwfew
Follow us: @GlosCitizen on Twitter | GlosCitizen on Facebook

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Jan 2015 11:07

When I was a lad at primary school in Scotland, long time ago, I had to walk to school which was about 2 miles from where we lived - through snow about 12 inches deep - and when I reached working age I travelled daily by train from Fife to Edinburgh in heavy snow - of course in those days we had "the right kind of snow" so the steam trains could cope :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 14 Jan 2015 11:07

It is silly Ann, and it becomes headline news !! :-0 :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2015 11:36

Yep, daft :-S In 1947 (*'when I were a lass!'*) I had to walk to school, must have been about 3 miles, my Mum walked with me and she was pregnant. We have got soft. schools close because of fear of litigation, some mother sueing them because poor Johnny slipped in the playground. the kids these days don't know what it is to make their own slides. The times I ended up on my b*m :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 14 Jan 2015 11:37

Ann me thinks we are a bit soft .we used to go to school on foot .sometimes it was very icy but we got there .& just got on with things & driving in snowy conditions just use common sense .1ins of snow the country comes to a standstill .when you look at other country`s as you say they must certainly laugh at us . :-D

Graham

Graham Report 14 Jan 2015 11:39

Not the old yellow snow warning again? :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Jan 2015 12:00

Don't go there Graham :-D :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jan 2015 12:00

not advisable to use Yellow snow for making tea with....

we don't have it bad enough, for long enough.......

how many of you have a set of winter tyres?
I don't, and don't know anyone that has,

although correspondents on the French car forum do, but they probably don't reside in the UK.....

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 14 Jan 2015 12:22

Bob,
My daughter has had her winter tyres on her car since November

She recently bought a house about 10 miles from us but, as she still works in our home town, she needs those wheels.

This is the highest part of Lanarkshire and we are often the laughing stock of Glasgow.... due to our weather!
( OFITG will verify this)

It was snowing here last night and she and her sisters went to the local pub quiz, as they do every Tuesday
On the way out of the car park, quite a few cars got stuck in the snow covered inclinel.
She manged to get out without any problems ( winter tyres) and starting making her way home.
She rang me when she got in.
No snow anywhere else on the drive home.... except here!

(I dont have winter tyres on my 4x4. I have a winter driving button!)

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jan 2015 12:39

Young people today are soft..lol

They have no idea of what it is like to have snow for weeks on end and is really deep.. and i might add it hardly ever brought things to a standstill, i can still remember the sore red rings round my legs from have to wellington boots to get through the snow.

When my first baby was born the neighbours had to dig a path outside my house so that the midwife could get through..lol

Merlin

Merlin Report 14 Jan 2015 15:12

Too much wrapping in cotton wool now and of course the Compensation Culture. :-(

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jan 2015 15:15

True Merlin..

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Jan 2015 15:28

When snow falls you just need one idiot who believes they are the worlds expert at driving in snow to cause chaos for all the other drivers on that stretch of road.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jan 2015 16:04

When it comes to school closures, it's not necessarily about the compensation culture. The Head Teacher needs to ensure that there'll be enough staff.

More teachers drive from other areas to work than used to be the case, where the conditions can be more extreme + their own children may need unexpected supervision if their school is closed!

It's true that if they can't get to their normal place of employment then they should report to the nearest school......but that Head Teacher can't rely on qualified local strangers to step in.

Linda

Linda Report 14 Jan 2015 16:48

I remember the winter of 1962-1963 where it started snowing on the boxing day and went on till April only a coal fire in one room and we had to walk to school all the buses and trains ran. Yes todays children are soft

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2015 16:51

Det there was only a dusting of snow in surrounding areas and 2cms in the actual area where the schools closed. Granted normally they do get it worse than us in the forest but 2 cms??? I don't think there was heavier snow in areas they'd draw their staff from. But I know that usually applies.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2015 18:38

Actually, I have just seen photos on TV of the snow there and it was more than two cms. So maybe they were justified as many of the roads are steep.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 14 Jan 2015 19:21

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.....

....And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jan 2015 20:43

don't forget supper was licking the dead flies off the white lines in the road,

yeah we was lucky,

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 14 Jan 2015 21:37

We have very strong winds and rain again!

Snow is melting and for the second time in a week, my utility room has a big puddle on the floor.

We had decking fitted last summer and it's almost flush with the bottom of the door frame
The door/frame contracts in the cold and there must be a small gap at the bottom where the wind drives the rain through!
I've mopped the puddle up and pushed old towels hard against the inside of the door.

In the summer, the door expands so much that if left open, it won't close again.