General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Search (LDS)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2015 02:13

I've just sent a contact message to them.

I was searching for family names on the LDS website, found some...... and a note.... saying lots of the information was from me!

My name was listed......... contact via Genes Reunited.

Not nice!! Invasion of privacy???

I have asked for my name (at least my surname) to be removed from the notes.

I have no idea who posed it, the only information is..... " Y "

:-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2015 04:15

oh dear

that's bad!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2015 07:19

I'm not happy about it!

Obviously it's a member of GR, who has taken info and posted it on the familysearch website.

This is worse than asking members to remove ME from their tree!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2015 17:50

how many people on GR have access to your tree???

Remember you have to give them access on here ............ no-one can see more than the fact that you one name in common at a time

can you whittle it down to a suitable "suspect"????

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2015 20:13

Got a response from LDS........ asking for the url of the page etc. Hopefully they will remove the information.

Sylvia ~ it's not just "people" information, the "Y" person added a note with information that I must have put in a pm to him/her....... then said who/where the information came from!!!

Very rude of him/her to put MY name on the website, but sign themselves as " Y "

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2015 20:14

so do you have an idea who "Y" might be????

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2015 20:17

Nope.

Maybe familysearch can tell me ????????

naaaaa, that's probably an invasion of privacy!!!!!!!

Sue

Sue Report 22 Jan 2015 20:24

Its not just invasion of privacy, but the question of the said info. being correct.

I mean no insult to you Scozz, but if info was taken from you, how many others.?

I always thought there was a process for the information on LDS , i.e. checks etc.,

Sue

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2015 20:33

I use my maiden name on GR, so "Y" posted that name...... and didn't spell it correctly!

DH's surname is unusual, not many of us around........ NOT putting that name on any website.

No idea what the checks are on LDS, I've never put information there.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2015 20:47

NO checks ................ so far as I know

that is why we all usually warn about using the submitted records .................. take them as advisement, but double and triple check ALL information submitted

The official Records are usually OK as they are taken from the official Parish Records, bmds, censuses etc .................. ant LDS are increasingly digitising those.

I had an interesting one with LDS some years ago ..........

........... I found a lot of records had been submitted on my father's family, and I wanted to contact the submitter to ask about several of the names, as it seemingly solved some problems from the 18th century. These problems included dates and names that no-one else had ever found, and that family has been studied by a lot of people over the years!

There was a name, an address and a phone number in Australia ....................

BUT ......

......... the phone number did not exist, or no longer existed (I checked OZ white pages on line)

......... the detailed street address did not exist ............... I found a map of the small town on-line, and there was no such street listed

......... the person's name did not show in any on-line records

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2015 22:36

I've searched the GR listings, and not one for that relative who was put on familysearch.

This is weird! :-(

He was a bigamist (my 3xgreat-granduncle). Two wives that we know of, 12 children that we know of, but he kept disappearing, so he may have had more wives & children. His 2nd wife believed he died, because she hadn't seen him for years, so she married again.... and he turned up....... and SHE was arrested, appeared in court and got sent to prison for bigamy. Poor woman. I've seen the newspaper reports. ggg uncle died in the asylum at the age of 46.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2015 22:49

rofl :-D

I went back to the LDS page with my name on it, clicked on "Y"s ID, and looked at some of the submissions.

most of it is..........um... strange.........

example ~

Fausta dau of Maximianus Herculius Emperor of /Rome/

and......

Robert II Count in /Wormsgau death 12 July 0807

:-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jan 2015 23:33

I wonder if they are taking them from Rootsweb? If you google "Fausta" .. etc and Robert.... both lead back to Rootsweb on the third or fourth listing down.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2015 00:02

Oh, my goodness,
Just looked on there.
They've been trawling recent records - and I don't mean church records.
They have both my sister and I (born in uk), but not our brothers (born in Malta)
What is really scary - they have my 12 year old grand daughter - under BOTH her surnames, but not her brothers (aged 4 and 7)!!

This is under 'Deceased Ancestor's Name'.

I have absolutely no living relatives on my tree - not even me!

They also don't have my daughters marriage.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Jan 2015 11:54

I've just looked at family trees on there.
My entire tree is on it.
I know who added it, and he didn't do the research... I did.

Photos and news clippings that I obtained have been added.
I share my research with just one other person who happens to be LDS.
She didn't put the tree on FS but her contact did!

It was shared to FS from a Legacy programme.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jan 2015 12:16

This is getting scary

:-(

Sue

Sue Report 23 Jan 2015 12:31

Sylvia,

Many thanks for that info., re checks.

:-) sue

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2015 13:05

Just noticed, the personal details of living relatives (on LDS as 'Deceased Ancestors') came from Find My Past.
I haven't got a tree on FMP. Haven't been on for years - not even when I had my £1 subscription in December.
I really want to know what scum puts full details of 12 year olds on the internet :-| :-|
I've contacted FMP and informed them of this 'slip'.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2015 13:13

Ha!! I think I know the pr&t who's divulging my family's personal details.
He's got a 'thing' about my ex's family - he's vaguely related - very vaguely related to my ex.
He hasn't included my daughters marriages - as it's a change in name.
HIs fixation is on the name.
Grand daughter has a different surname to her brothers - it's double-barrelled - father's name then mother's maiden name - which is the same as my ex's.
He's one of 2 . Now to trawl through my e-mails.....

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 23 Jan 2015 13:19

Reading this thread..scary indeed, beggars belief :-0