General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Font Problem after Windows Update

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kense

Kense Report 12 Feb 2015 19:05

If you use Windows XP or Vista and it was updated yesterday with KB3013455, then you may experience some font problems.

The worst I have noticed is when using freeBMD and clicking on the info button some of the text looks as though it has been typed using a worn typewriter ribbon.

This is taken from the Microsoft page about it:

After you install security update 3013455, you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. The problem occurs on computers that are running the following operating systems:

Windows Server 2008 SP2
Windows Server 2003 SP2
Windows Vista SP2

Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.

JustJanet

JustJanet Report 12 Feb 2015 19:11

Thanks for that,I did wonder what was going on.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 12 Feb 2015 19:15

I had that Ken and your description is spot on :-D

I found a fix online for Chrome Vista and it worked for me but I take no responsibility if it doesn't for anyone else!

go to start --> control panel --> security --> view installed updates search for or find KB3013455 installed on 2/11/15 highlight it, right click and select uninstall.

Your PC will need to restart and windows will configure the changes but all should be back to normal after that

Mine was 2/12/15 or 12/2/15 in English ;-)

Chris

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Feb 2015 19:16

FreeBMD has been unusable today so that explains it.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Feb 2015 20:20

Familysearch has been like that, in my case, for at least a week. OH checked the screen in case my eyesight had suddenly deteriorated!

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 12 Feb 2015 22:20

Thank you so much!!

i have been printing some poems off ready for my new book today, and the print looks blurred to me, i thought it was my cataracts..lol
now i know the reason why..

I am on Vista :-)

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Feb 2015 09:18

I had a similar problem on my laptop, after installing the updates the keyboard stopped working other than the mouse pad and the "click" buttons.
I had to do a Restore to clear it.
That was on Windows 8.1

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Feb 2015 09:21

I also did a system restore to remove it, as I did not see anything like KB3013455, but guess what it updated again this morning and now seems to be working fine on FreeBMD. This time does show that reference number so have left it.

Font size did change on this site but is now back to normal but it is slightly different on my emails

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 13 Feb 2015 10:56

Well the fix I mentioned above did work but today I am back to the 'worn typewriter ribbon' look and now the font and text size have changed too:-|

It is really hurting my poor eyes.

Chris

Kense

Kense Report 13 Feb 2015 11:20

Chris, I presume you have automatic update set for Windows so you will need to apply the fix daily until they sort it.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 13 Feb 2015 13:26

Thanks Ken, I hadn't realised that.

That has saved my poor old eyes :-D

Chris

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Feb 2015 14:12

It is coming off again as FreeBMD is unusable

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 13 Feb 2015 17:34

Turn off automatic updates (you should anyway) and then simply pick the updates you want.

Barry_

Barry_ Report 17 Feb 2015 17:39

I hope everyone affected who experienced a problem is sorted and working normally.

Wednesday night as I shut off, windows downloaded 18 new updates!
PC started OK Thursday and as I shut down late that night ... one more update.
For some reason I decided to switch it back on but all I got was enormous fonts and more infuriatingly ... the monitor constantly was switched off by the system!
I had to constantly switch the monitor on to standby and then to ON!
I tried all sorts the next couple of days but no luck to sort this hiccup!

Thankfully, my son came over yesterday afternoon to the rescue.
He checked a lot of things and he deleted all the drivers for the screen and downloaded all the latest drivers for it.
After he did a little more fine tuning I am back to working properly again.

This is the second time in recent months that windows downloads have caused me problems.
About 10 months ago one download corrupted the registry - something with which you DON'T want to interfere.
PC just would not do anything after booting, as I recall.
This was discovered after I took it to a 'healer' ... who charged me $50.

It's time we sent Microsoft a big bill, methinks!

Craig

Craig Report 18 Feb 2015 01:16

what you need to do is go to windows update and tell it to download, but not install updates. If its not broke don't fix it comes to mind.There are far too many pointless updates that Microsoft send out. good luck :-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 18 Feb 2015 13:54

Rather than do that, turn off automatic updates altogether and regularly run Windows Update to see if there is anything you should download and install - there is always a description of each patch/update and you can always Google for more information.

This is especially important if you are on capped internet usage or using mobile internet.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Feb 2015 14:56

http://www.datamirage.nl/blog/font-corruption-windows-update-kb3013455/

Still using Win95? tsk tsk

Still using VISTA? there are alternatives

Not using Windows 7 or Linux Mint ? Why not ?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Feb 2015 14:59

If you are on capped internet just go to the public library and dl anything you need eg MS updates to a datakey. For each ug cycle they release all the updates as a single file (free) and you can then install whatever you want and not install what you don't want.

All large firms do it that way thus avoiding nasty shocks.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 18 Feb 2015 15:28

Absolutely - far better than crossing your fingers.

Are people really still using 95 etc etc?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Feb 2015 17:06

Seen in last week's Micromart

"Wanted. Microsoft Windows 98"