General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Getting Slower

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 25 Jun 2015 11:52

The general chat board seems to be dying. Only 10 threads have been added to today. :-\

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Jun 2015 12:01

Hello .people are on holiday & a lot have left GR over the last months .it was a very busy chatty place to be years ago I joined in 2009 .The trouble is you cant have any real discussion `s as the RR.brigade come out .its a shame I myself don't post a lot now .people make cyber friends .& away from GR they contact each other .That's just the way it is :-)

Graham

Graham Report 25 Jun 2015 12:06

I wonder how many GR members even know these boards are here? I didn't realise until recently that there are chat boards on Ebay.

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Jun 2015 12:16

Never heard of that one .a lot of folks go on Facebook .so they don't bother posting on Gr I have never been FB .as I say shame .we had pantomime thread .which was really funny .Allan use to post stories .real or not .? had a good laugh .I just do family tree & maybe join in one or two post .Barbra

Sue

Sue Report 25 Jun 2015 12:25

Graham,

every now and again, a post similar toyours goes up. What you say is very true. Either the people on here make more of it themselves,i.e. post more interesting topics, not boring ones, or if it is a problem with GR for RRing, then approach them. I personally dont think they care one jot. So we are left with ourselves to improve things.

Sue

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 25 Jun 2015 13:15

i posted a thread last week, after several hours 20 people had viewed it but not commented so i deleted it... must have been too boring :-(

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Jun 2015 13:26

Well I have just put Thread on lets see what happens be back later today ;-)

Merlin

Merlin Report 25 Jun 2015 13:37

Possibly because threads are boring or too many arguments,i/e people reading things not in the manner they were meant to be read,plus of course the Phantom RR er :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Jun 2015 13:54

Part of it is Fred's fault.

Very selfishly, and with no consideration for others, he went and died so there is no more to tell you about him.

Merlin

Merlin Report 25 Jun 2015 13:57

You mean he has,nt re visited you?how remiss of him,he could have added to his story. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Jun 2015 14:00

Not as far as I know.

We keep sharing bits of him round to people and there is still a bit left in the jar.

Merlin

Merlin Report 25 Jun 2015 14:05

He,s probably watching you and wondering what the B hell you,re doing with his garden. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jun 2015 14:39

But you have shared stories of fred's friend too Sharron, they are funny as well. And you often give us a giggle so you keep the boards going.

I think people are sensitive about being RR'd and that is what that person wants, they want to spoil the enjoyment of others, we should post and be dam**d.

And, of course, like myself last week; people are on holiday. we had no internet, I have to admit I didn't miss it at all.

And when a lot of people view and not post it is possibly because they can't post because they are not full members.

even facebook is quite boring lately with people posting excerpts from newspapers etc. Not a lot of general chat on there. Maybe social media is in decline.

:-D <3

Barbra, I remember the days of the pantomime with allan and BC keeping us laughing. It was so funny. :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2015 16:17

I read but don't often post although when I needed some comfort like when we lost our cat I did post and was overwhelmed with people's kindness

Trouble is I think that the phantom RRerr puts people off

I know on one trying to find thread I was RR,d and got a warning from genes
I was flabbergasted cos have never been rude so I went back and asked why???

Was told I could come across as too formal to newbies and was directed to my remark of what connection do you have ?? to a current find living request at
that time

I ask you .it was enough to put me off helping for a time

So lots of old members have left or sadly passed away and folks are on their hollies etc plus maybe some are too wary of posting ?????

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Jun 2015 17:51

Allan is Oz isn't posting as much lately is he - he always makes me laugh :-D

Allan

Allan Report 25 Jun 2015 22:51

Thanks, Ann and Barbra :-D :-D

Including myself I now have three fans ;-) :-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Jun 2015 22:57

which one are you on that avatar?

Allan

Allan Report 25 Jun 2015 22:59

The middle one...the other two are both wearing dresses ;-) :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 Jun 2015 23:21

Well I don't give a tinker's cuss for RRs but have had a lot going on at home recently so just trying to stay on top of what happens on the board and not adding threads, I was glad to be in a wifi hotspot when in Derbyshire so I could keep abreast of things when on holiday, especially as mobile signals were very hit and miss.

We have lost so many people who were regular posters, mainly because they were pretty much housebound for health reasons so were glad of the link to others. Perhaps most of us are still able to get put and about more so don't need the contact and don't have the time.

We will all have to make a little more effort to keep the board ticking over for those who need us

Lizxx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 26 Jun 2015 06:36

I admire those trying to keep the boards alive but I really think GR has probably had its day.

The format is very old fashioned and not particularly user friendly compared to other forums where you can post pictures.

Lots of my friends haven't renewed so I interact with them elsewhere.