General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Drone strike

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 8 Sep 2015 19:38

I am surprised that there hasn't been a thread started regarding the killing of two British ISIL fighters in Syria. Is the subject too controversial?

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 8 Sep 2015 19:40

It probably is Bob but I am not going to condemn the government over this :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Sep 2015 19:41

For the moment, probably. :-0

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 8 Sep 2015 20:12

I think this is cloaked in so much secrecy, thus sparking speculation, but the full facts aren't known so it would be a disaster of a discussion :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Sep 2015 20:16

those lads who went off to join IS knew what they were getting into - they deserve all they got - no one made them go - it was their choice - and a very bad choice as far as their grieving families are concerned

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Sep 2015 20:26

There could be an investigation, but to be honest we aren't going to be told much because it would compromise national security which imo is fair enough. A decision was made, it seems to have been made legally ( albeit not with the advance knowledge of the other political parties) based on good intelligence on the face of it.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Sep 2015 20:43

sadly these situations will happen when its felt there is enough intelligence to uphold decisions.
And its left two grieving families in Cardiff and Aberdeen with no clear answers.

Jane

Jane Report 8 Sep 2015 20:58

I feel or these men's families as they have lost their Son's.But if they were such a threat to our country then I believe the right thing has been done.A few years ago I might not have the same response.

Newby

Newby Report 8 Sep 2015 21:04

They went freely to fight a war ..they made their choice..
they ended up a casualty of war
no sympathy here

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Sep 2015 19:21

The unanimous opinion in the pub last night was that they got what they deserved. Anyone who commits, or encourages others to commit, offences against their own country is committing treason, which until recently was a capital offence.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Sep 2015 19:53

I posted this 5:30pm

"(c) use the UK security apparatus to carry out ex judicial state executions at a cost of a hundred thousand pounds per missile - has no useful effect but mein gott it sure has great feel good factor"

update: it is by the by whether these guys "deserved it" or "knew what was coming". I bear no flag for the De'esh who have destroyed a land and way of life close to my heart. But ...

Accidental line of fire is one thing and the risks are known. However deliberate execution of British citizens by the British government without parliamentary knowledge or approval has a very flaky legal basis. Leaving aside Syria it sets a precedent that even Foggy Bottom does not enjoy. That Cameron says he would do it again removes any defense.

As Dermot says far from trivial. It is exceeding powers in this way that brought down Tony Blair.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Sep 2015 21:13

Are you saying Rollo, that we should wait until they are caught and brought back to the UK for a "fair trial"?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Sep 2015 22:15

Executive convenience and vox pop opinion cannot override due legal process otherwise the whole basis of a democracy founded on law goes out the window.

The British legal system does not recognise the concept of "clear and present danger" in the context of the British state only self defense for individuals subjected to physical assault and even then the terms are tough.

Cameron claims that two jihadists thousands of miles from the UK were in a position to and had the means and control with which to carry out some kind of outrage in the UK. All of the evidence for this is apparently to remain secret.

Much as I would like to see the demise of al De'esh this is not the way to achieve it.

William Joyce, Lord Haw-haw, could not be executed until after trial and due process. The roots of the supremacy of law over the executive reach back in English law to before the Conquest and the Normans themselves were legal geeks.

So, yes.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Sep 2015 22:38

The State had no right to execute Lord HawHaw, he was not a British citizen.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 9 Sep 2015 22:39

Well I for one am not averse to the bending of rules if it keeps Britain a safer place and prevents further atrocities on our streets.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 9 Sep 2015 22:44

Governments who start bending the rules may end up in the International Criminal Courts.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Sep 2015 22:45

When this news first came to light, my first thought was of another WMD scenario.

The legal clearance may be a bit murky, but on the other hand the men in question had rejected their British citizenship and embraced the Caliphate.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Sep 2015 22:48

Some of you agree with me then.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 9 Sep 2015 23:35

Not many are playing by the rules at the moment Supercrutch.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 10 Sep 2015 00:07

Oh I know Lyndi.......take a look at Gaza :-(