General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Freemasons.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Nov 2015 22:01

New on Ancestry.

United Grand Lodge of England Freemason Membership Registers, 1751-1921

Not much info.

Allan

Allan Report 19 Nov 2015 22:44

Not that I have a sub for Ancestry, but for those who do it will save a 30.00 pound search directly with UGLE

Edit; very cheeky I know, but if someone does have a sub to Ancestry could they please check on the register for one Clifford Mortimer?

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Nov 2015 23:25

Allan you can have 14days free trial on Ancestry .might be worth a look ?

Allan

Allan Report 19 Nov 2015 23:30

Thanks, Barbra :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Nov 2015 23:34

......but, if they ask for your debit/credit card number, remember to cancel your 'free' 14 day free trial!!

Allan

Allan Report 19 Nov 2015 23:44

:-D :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Nov 2015 23:45

Sent a Pm good luck ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Nov 2015 00:10

good heavens there they are all the scoundrels - I thought that the freemasons were a secret society? why do some belong to lodges a very long way from home ?

anyone wants a lookup no prob.

I have a full kit left by my GF apron, chain, the lot. I sometimes wear it for Halloween. How grown men can prance around the way they do I have no idea. My father, being in the police, was a member but thought it a load of b-x. He let it go when he retired.

I was asked to join lots of times and always refused mainly 'cos my old man was so opposed.

What next ? The KKK? The Blackshirts ?
I'd quite like to see a catalog of Jacobites but that is probably still a sore sibject.

Allan

Allan Report 20 Nov 2015 00:20

Each to his own, Rollo.

I enjoy it but as far as I know there is no other family connection with Freemasonry, but from certain things that I have found out about my GF makes me think that he possibly was a mason.

Incidentally, although I don't use it, the Grand Lodge of WA has its own Facebook page

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Nov 2015 00:21

I've probably got loads of Freemasons on my tree, and I wonder about how many were Jacobites (but I really don't want to know!).

Charles Edward Louis Casimir Sylvester Severino Maria Stewart (aka "Bonnie" Prince Charlie) is my 8th cousin 10 times removed!

I've used "STEWART" because it's the Scottish spelling, but I believe Charles used "STUART", the French spelling.

A very complicated lot of ancestors! :-0

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Nov 2015 08:28

Freemasonry can be a very sore subject in some areas of life and there is more to it than meets the eye. Many years ago, I undertook a study of Freemasonry for personal reasons and was unhappy with what I found out from underneath the veneer of 'we're all happy chappies doing good for others'.

My grandfather was a mason until he became a member of the Salvation Army, whereupon, apparently, he dropped it like a hot brick.

As has been said - each to their own.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 20 Nov 2015 09:56

Ooh, lots of my Suffolk ancestors were Masons. Dad thought they were awful so wouldn't join, although his brothers did.

I have a grand master on the Welsh side but my Welsh grandfather was a Presbyterian and disapproved so the connection ended there as well.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 20 Nov 2015 10:12

OOOOH The Welsh ones are there as well. :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Nov 2015 12:30

Good for you Guinevere :-D

Both my father and his uncle were Freemason, but joined after 1921. Ditto father-in-law. Neither OH or our son has any interest. After his death, I gave his Regalia to the last Lodge he attended. They were thrilled as it helped to continue the heritage 'chain'.

The organisation did have a poor reputation but in the UK has done its best to 'clean up' its act. The Lodge my father attended holds, or at least had held, an annual open day in an attempt to de-mystify preconceptions.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Nov 2015 18:43

My late husband was in two Lodges and was Grand Master in both lodges at different times. He also went on to gain Provincial honours. My son and nephew both belong to the Brotherhood. My nephew asked if he could have my husband regalia which he treasures and wore when he became Grand Master. It's often mistakenly called a secret society but for anyone truly interested there's copious amounts of information available on the Internet and libraries. Most lodges have open days where anyone interested will be most warmly welcomed.

Without blowing their own trumpets they give most generously to local, national and international charities.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 20 Nov 2015 19:58

Although not a member, I have been to many "Ladies Nights". Apart from their very patronising attitude to women, they have all been enjoyable. But blimey, can't they drink?

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Nov 2015 20:25

Bob I have to say no one ever patronised me that's for sure! However, they were always very polite and respectful. As for the drinking no worse than at the golf club, the men there were definitely patronising to the lady golfers.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 21 Nov 2015 07:40

In the part of the country my father came from it was essential to be a mason to thrive in a couple of trades. Masons always gave their business to other masons. Similarly with my Welsh lot.

A bit like a closed shop, really. Non masons couldn't get a look in. New laws on restrictive trade put an end to that.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 21 Nov 2015 21:05

Yayyyy......I have just found another ancestor I thought was lost forever. In Queensland then Brisbane.

He married and had at least 2 children.....off up my tree once more.

Thanks to you Mr M :-D :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 21 Nov 2015 21:24

All part of the service Kitty......... :-D

And a Freemason too.