General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Donald Trump's Muslim US ban

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gee

Gee Report 8 Dec 2015 22:10

In my opinion..............a complete kno#

It smacks of fascist, to me

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2015 22:33

The US Republican Party is Right of Centre,

...... and Trump appeals to the currently very important segment of the Republican Party known as the Tea Party. You'll find most of the candidates are trying to appeal to that group

There are also the rednecks in the party

Fascists were also right wing

But talking about it only verifies what he said in THEIR minds as it gets more publicity on the internet.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 8 Dec 2015 22:37

Oh he is, however his utterances keep him in the head lines.

He has suggested internment camps...lolol then for the Mexicans and other Latinos so just leaving the white supremacists to roam free.

Just tot up the number of home grown murderers there are in the USA......

Then we have to remember that many politicians and mayors are asking for the permits to carry concealed weapons in their State should be passed.

The University of Virginia (I think) has said it wants students to carry guns in case they come face to face with a Muslim.

My cousin works at the University of Texas, he was called into a meeting and advised if he sees a gunman to distract him by thorwing something at them like his mobile phone. My cousin's reply was that he would be too busy going in the opposite direction.

The world...errr hang on the USA has gone mad

:-(

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Dec 2015 22:39

What scares me is the number of Americans who cheered when he made this insane announcement.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Dec 2015 22:50

It's at times like these that I love the internet. In the wake of Trump, and all Republicans, someone has taken pictures of Republicans with guns, and turned the guns into..............well.........something less deadly, but still almost as offensive (to some) as guns. Don't look if you're prudish!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/08/republicans-with-guns-holding-dildos-photoshop-edit_n_8747166.html?1449568287

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Dec 2015 23:02

I wonder how many gun related deaths there were in the country the same day as the terrorist incident? I bet it was several times as many, but nothing gets said about it because its so routine.

Andy

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Dec 2015 00:11

Well, the Guardian did an interesting comparison. Note that some are comparisons between whole countries and ONE US state!

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

...and here's a graph showing a comparison between 'domestic' gun deaths and terrorism gun deaths in the US

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-shooting-terrorism-gun-violence/

The police are pretty gun-happy:

http://www.mintpressnews.com/776-people-killed-by-police-so-far-in-2015-161-of-them-unarmed/209127/

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2015 00:27

It was Trump who after another recent multiple shooting said something like "if everyone had been carrying guns, the outcome would have been very different"

Yeah, right ................. many more people would have been killed and injured.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 9 Dec 2015 00:31

“I am not OK with Syrian refugees,” Republican Assemblywoman Michele Fiore said late last month on her weekly Las Vegas radio show. “I’m not OK with terrorists. I’m OK with putting them down, blacking them out, just put a piece of brass in their ocular cavity and end their miserable life. I’m good with that.

Fiore’s Rambo rant came days after ISIS gunmen, at least one of whom posed as a Syrian refugee, killed 129 people in Paris on Nov. 13. “I’m about to fly to Paris and shoot ’em in the head myself,” Fiore said.

Fiore made headlines last week with a Christmas card featuring family members holding various firearms.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Dec 2015 00:31

I've only been to California, (LA) once in my life, for a holiday in 1990 and was SO intimidated by every official wearing a gun, and was terrified I'd say, or do the wrong thing...........

Bob

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2015 00:38

Sue ............

We were at the University of Texas in 1967-68, and my favourite un-favourite story is of the police stake-out on the main street downtown one evening after a number of cars have been broken into.

They had police on the ground and spotters up on the rooftops watching for someone to break into a car or cars. All were of course fully armed.

Spotter on roof top saw a "criminal", alerted guy on the ground who shouted. Criminal started to run away, so cop fired his gun ......................

one shot hit a bakery window one block north of where the crim was running, second shot hit a shop window one block south of him. A number of other shots went who-knows-where

Crim got away.

It was a good job that downtown Austin was usually deserted in the late evening in those years so no-one else got hurt!

It did not inspire me with any great belief in the abiltiies of American policemen. But I do have to approve of the fact that the Austin-American Statesman printed the story of what happened!

Add to that, walking into a cafe and seeing a Texas Ranger sitting at the next table, with his gun holster open and the gun loosely placed inside. Anyone could have grabbed it.

Ask your cousin if anyone still remembers the shooting from the Tower. We were there less than a year after that happened, and there was still no access to the Tower.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 9 Dec 2015 00:54

Will do :-D

Every time my son travels to or via the States I live in fear because he has a very smart mouth :-(

He owns a gun himself and I don't like it one bit. Although he doesn't travel abroad with it obviously.

My nephew and his family have just moved to Texas from California and the security measures are really awful. I couldn't live like that.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2015 01:36

Sue ...............

We had an enjoyable year in Texas, but I didn't settle and would not have wanted to stay for longer. Too many guns, and too many people too ready to use them, even then.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Dec 2015 04:35

Nothing to do with guns, but the US attitude.........

Many years ago DH & I flew into New York from Europe.... got off the plane, and saw a "wall" of security people all with unhappy faces and holding nightsticks. Welcome to the US of A. Not one of them smiled or made eye contact. Very uncomfortable feeling..... and that was years before 9/11, what's it like now?

Donald Trump is a scary man.

Even scarier... many people agree with him.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 9 Dec 2015 06:11

I laugh every time I see his name. It's very appropriate. A lot of hot air blown out of the appropriate orifice.

Gee

Gee Report 9 Dec 2015 08:22

It's getting madder!

Petulant responses from some of the UK MPs 'Bann Trump from entering the UK'

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Dec 2015 08:43

I have itchy fingers here and I'm trying to stop them running away on this thread but I could not resist writing a little.

Obama has done his best to introduce some sort of restriction on armoury but in the face of ignorance he is still struggling. Is DT is part of that face of ignorance?

Has DT scored an own-goal?

Does he realise that his own-goal has scuppered his chances of leading the USA?

If so, is that why he's now trying to deflect interest by commenting on the openness of Britain?

Also, could he be deflecting interest from any skeletons that may still be in his closet?

Has he looked into the mirror and realised that he may not fit the visual requirements of President of the USA? Sadly, they do matter there.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 9 Dec 2015 08:46

OK maybe Donald is saying what a lot of people are thinking, there ain't no way I would want him running my country, I mean we have to try to get along with other countries and with the people who live in our own country not throw half the people out and build a wall and say you can't come in this is mine.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Dec 2015 08:48

Aparrently there is one of those online UKgov polls to ban Trump from entering this country :-D

Did anyone watch those documentaries about him forcing that golf course on the locals in Scotland - he is a nasty piece of work.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Dec 2015 09:17

Well, not sure if it's with Trumps blessing, but his former aide has said 'civilised' Muslims can enter America :-S :-S :-S

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/08/donald-trump-roger-stone-sky-faisal-islam-civilised-muslim_n_8751690.html?utm_hp_ref=uk