General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

That heavy snow in USA

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Jan 2016 22:37

North East USA, Washington DC and surrounding areas have a real big snow storm going on - d'you think we'll get it after? Very often we get what they have about five days later

kandj

kandj Report 22 Jan 2016 22:43

The TV coverage looks awful AnnC. I do hope that we won't get this snow but it often comes here at some point, but usually less severe.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jan 2016 22:45

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/ to Thurs 28th doesn't seem to think so.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 22 Jan 2016 22:49

No - the Atlantic will put paid to the worst of it - we might get some of the wind though - with rain!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Jan 2016 23:34

pity - I love snow :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jan 2016 09:54

BBC weather says we'll get the tail end of the storm on Tuesday, as strong winds and heavy rain.
When we get snow, it's when westerly rain meets Siberian weather fronts.....they say.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jan 2016 16:32

Rain!! that'll make a change!!

Have we any friends in the area expecting the bad snow? If so hope they can stay safely indoors.

Jane

Jane Report 23 Jan 2016 17:58

I have friends living in Washington DC with a new 2 month old baby.I'm sure they will be fine and well stocked up with Nappies /Formula etc for baby .I spoke to them online and they reckon it will be at least Monday before being able to get out of their apartment.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 23 Jan 2016 20:04

My son is there visiting again. Girlfriend says he is enjoying being snowed in lolol

Well he doesn't get any snow in Guatemala.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jan 2016 20:13

I've connection/friend on FB who lives in rural NY State. Although I keep checking her updates, she hasn't said if its arrived or how the snow is affecting her. Just like us and our mild winter, this would be the first snowfall for them.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 24 Jan 2016 11:44

it is on the news today that although we will not have the snow it will arrive here about Tuesday in the form of heavy rain which we really could do without as so many people are still homeless and suffering from last heavy storms we had... :-(

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-24/britain-braced-for-more-floods-as-us-storm-heads-for-uk/

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2016 12:06

we've had worse snow than they have at the moment - think it was 1947 - I lived in a little cottage on the side of a mountain and when we woke up in the morning it was up to the bedroom windows, local chapel was completely covered - had to be at least ten feet deep

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 24 Jan 2016 12:20

I agree with you Ann, when my first child was born the neighbours had to dig out a path for the midwife to reach our house., and of course in those days the Yorkshire Moors were cut off for months .

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 Jan 2016 13:40

My friend is snowed in in New York

SHE IS LOVING IT :-D :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Jan 2016 15:01

But, does it really have to be the No1 headline on every single UK news bulletin?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2016 15:41

not really - I bet our floods didn't feature in their headlines

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Jan 2016 16:30

Because its a S(n,l)ow news day? Boom boom!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2016 16:36

:-D :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2016 16:41

In UK 1947 was bad and so was 1962.

magpie

magpie Report 24 Jan 2016 18:20

I was four in 1947, and my mother and I were living in a bedsit in Oxford. I can remember the snow being much taller than me, and curiously I can remember throwing a stone down a well in the garden and not hearing any splash! Presumably an adult was with me?!!! I can also remember being SO cold, and being told to rub my hands in front of a very dim gas fire. 1962/3 I was twenty and remember it very well! buses.where the diesel froze, my bedroom wall was frozen on the inside, and again it was SO cold. O H and I were engaged on my birthday in January, married next year, and now 52 years along the line, Derby and Joan!!