General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Last night....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 27 Apr 2017 19:50

....some thieving toe-rags decided to empty the petrol out of my car. Did they syphon it? did they heck. They drilled two neat holes in the tank and spilled more on the road than they must have got away with. So for a few measly quids-worth of petrol I have to shell out nearly £450 for a new petrol tank.I am not happy.

Island

Island Report 27 Apr 2017 19:55

Sorry to read this Bob, how horrible for you :-(

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Apr 2017 20:31

Disgracefull!!! :-|

You have my sympathy Bob.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Apr 2017 21:47

With that drill they just happened to have with them.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Apr 2017 22:49

What you should do to them if you ever caught them......was it just your car or neigbours too?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Apr 2017 22:57

Bar Stewards! :-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2017 23:12

I know what I would do if it happened to me but unrepeatable on here sorry to hear that Bob

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Apr 2017 07:11

Obviously going around equipped to thieve

Lucky the drill didn't spark or they could have blown the car up by igniting the fumes

One wonders if it was just pure vandalism rather than getting petrol

We had a spate of cars having their windows smashed on a sat evening .possibiy after the pubs closed . Pure vandalism the police said .

We don't have youngsters living in the near vicinity so must have been targeted in that we will do that area tonight

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 28 Apr 2017 09:12

This is getting to be a common thing around here :-| :-|. OH has had no end of people coming in for new tanks because of it.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 28 Apr 2017 10:56

Does insurance not cover this sort of thing? Liz.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Apr 2017 11:01

I went out to work Wednesday lunchtime, but my 24yr old daughter was still in the house.
My neighbour, 2 doors along, also left for work around the same time.
He used his daughter's car and left 2 performance cars ( both new Mercs) in the drive
He also left his 20yr daughter at home.

About 30 mins after he left, unaware that the girl was in the house, 3 men smashed their way through the french doors at the back of his home
The girl was terrified but, I don't know if she ran upstairs or out of the house.
The girl didn't see the men but she could hear them talking in an Eastern European language.

The police came to my door yesterday to ask if we saw or heard anything.

No one saw anything suspicious except....the widow cleaner!
He knows everybody and their business!

He and his son were were working in the next street at the time and saw 3 young guys walking towards where we live and, he knew immediately that they were out of place and didn't belong here

Between the terrified girl and the description given by the window cleaners the police now know who they are looking for but, they are certain it was the 2 sets of car keys that they wanted!

There were no cars in my drive at the time.
My daughter's newly refurbished, 25yr old Nissan Figaro was in the garage.
Would they have wanted it, I wonder? LOL

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Apr 2017 11:37

Long gone are the days when you could leave your house or car unlocked.
Security cameras and systems are a growth area.

Annx

Annx Report 28 Apr 2017 15:23

The nerve they have Bob!! We had a spate of them drilling out boot locks to steal stuff a while ago. These convenient rechargeable drills are convenient for thieves too.

The same thing happened here Shirley, because they thought it would be fun!!

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/gang-smashed-up-86-cars-in-overnight-spree-for-fun/story-30261248-detail/story.html

Linda

Linda Report 28 Apr 2017 15:52

Some years ago now we had gone up to mil for the weekend the car was parked in the lay-by outside very small little town we had all gone to bed when the police knocked on the door someone had tried to steal our car but someone walking their dog had disturbed them and phoned the police but they had broken the power steering they were found

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 28 Apr 2017 17:10

Yes and no doubt the stole the drill by robbing some poor tradesman's van!
They say we are short of prison places for them, I suggest chaining them to concrete posts 10ft apart on Dartmoor! They can bring their own waterproof hoodie! ;-)

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 28 Apr 2017 19:22

They must have known exactly what they were doing. Two neat holes drilled in the tank, one to drain the petrol and the other to let air in. Talking to a PCSO this morning she says that car related crime in the area is out of control She was on her way to deliver letters to families in the tower blocks who have known problem kids, threatening them with court proceedings to evict them if they don't rein their kids in. I have, so far, been burgled (whilst in bed asleep), had a case of wine nicked from round the side where the delivery man left it, had the car broken into, had the Land Rover vandalised, as well as the latest incident. As soon as the grandson has finished his apprenticeship we are out of London like a shot.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Apr 2017 00:54

In 1985 some little rat cut my fuel line and emptied the tank.

I remember it well as it was the first night of a 'couples' antenatal course and my husband sent me in his car with a female friend so he could sort it out as I needed it to get to work the next day.......He is now my ex husband and I still have a sneaky feeling he did it so he didn't have to attend :-D

GlasgowLass that is a scary story. I hope the young lady is being supported.

Chris

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Apr 2017 16:27

Many moons ago, in the days when Sunday meant a trip to the scrapyard and you spent the rest of the weekend under the heap you were nursing along at the time, my neighbours son in law was changing heaps and couldn't fathom out how to syphon the fuel from his tank to put in the next one ( as you did then).

He didn't realize you had to syphon downhill so I showed him how to do it.

I am wondering if I didn't set him up for life now.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Apr 2017 00:33

Sharron - what have you done!!! (shock, horror etc) :-D :-D :-D

I know how to do that too, after years of ex's Morris Minor ownerships.
I could also start them (Morris Minor's) without a key, under the bonnet.
Impressed many a 'bloke' at auctions :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Apr 2017 01:37

Somebody needed to teach him a trade.

I have actually forgotten how to hot-wire. Probably no bad thing.